1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What did the translators of the KJV think?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

.........Middle of translators introduction written to King James..........

"For when Your Highness had once out of deep judgment apprehended how convenient it was, that out of the Original Sacred Tongues, together with comparing of the labours, both in our own, and other foreign Languages, of many worthy men who went before us, there should be one more exact Translation of the holy Scriptures into the English Tongue................."

"And now at last, by the mercy of God, and the continuance of our labours, it being brought unto such a conclusion, as that we have great hopes that the Church of England shall reap good fruit thereby; we hold it our duty to offer it to Your Majesty, not only as to our King and Sovereign, but as to the principle Mover and Author of the work:by craving of Your most Sacred Majesty, that since things of this quality have ever been subject to the censures of illmeaning and discontented persons, it may receive appropriation and patronage from so learned and judicious, a Prince as Your Highness is, whose allowance and acceptance of our labours shall more honour and encourage us, than all the calumniations and hard interpretations of other men shall dismay us. "

"Brethern, who run their own ways, and give liking unto nothing, but what is framed by themselves, and hammered on their anvil; we may rest secure, supported within by the truth and innocency of a good conscience, having walked the ways of simplicity and integrity, as before the Lord; and sustained without by the powerful protect of Your Majesty's grace and favour, which will ever give countenance to honest a Christian endeavours against bitter censures and uncharitable imputations."

As translated by the International Bible Society founded in 1809. IBS00-35000/16000/31000/18000

"Containing the Old and New Testaments translated out of the original tongues: and withe the former translations diligently compared and revised, by His Majesty's special command."

My remark:

Besides giving King James more credit than the Holy Spirit; it looks like the KJV being an MV in 1611 had a lot of people screaming that they didn't like MV's.........Interesting. :eek:

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Exactly Phillip,
    I printed out the whole 11 page preface as in the 1611KJV for the benefit of KJVO's.I also posed a lot of other facts and questions. Some were polite and gave me thier best answer which I appreciated. However I did learn from those experiences that you generally are not goping to change thier minds with facts, evidence,or logical critical thinking.Their stand is basically based on their faith and circular arguements.
    To bad theuy don't realize the guy who started all the kjo stuff was a seventh day adventist.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Realized, but (as another thread stated) "willfully ignorant".

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Doesn't that kind of remind you of Judas who refused to believe. Even with Jesus there he still refused to believe.

I suspect they have checked their brains at the door. They are very proud of their ignorance too.

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We now have the modern KJVO who knows more about the KJV than its translators did. Don't believe it? Just ask a KJVO.

They also have the advantage of having taken Mind - Reading 101 which allows them to know we have no settled final Scriptural authority. It must be nice to be so bright yer mamma calls ya "son".