1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do I have to do to loose my salvation?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Stanislaw, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Stanislaw

Stanislaw New Member

Those of you who believe a Christian can loose their salvation could you please tell me when they have crossed the line and lost it?

I have heard preachers say I can loose my salvation by telling one little lie, and I have heard others preach I can sin and not lose salvation, but if I live like that I will neglect my salvation, loose it and not even know that I lost it.

2. drfuss

drfuss New Member

The following is what is taught in the large denomination seminaries.

The Classic Arminians do not believe a Christian can lose their salvation. However, Classic Arminians do believe a Christian can forfeit their salvation by deciding to stop trusting in Christ.

Wesleyan Arminias believe a Christian can lose their salvation while still believing. In general, it wasn't until John Wesley came along that some Christians starting believing a Christian could lose their salvation. They believe that neither committing sins or lack of works can cause a Christian to lose their salvation. Only continual resisting the conviction of the Holy Spirit will put a Christian in a position of potentially losing their salvation.

For example, someone wrongs a Christian and after much time has passed, that Christian refuses to forgive that person even though the Holy Spirit has been convicting the Christian about forgiveness. Some time later, means long after the issue has passed, the Christian still refuses to forgive. We are not talking about while the issue is still being resolved. If after a significant time has passed and the Christian still refuses to forgive, then that Christian is in danger of losing their salvation.

Wesleyan Armenian, Classic Armenian, and eternal security believing churches have a problem with putting too much emphasis on committing sins or lack of good works. This is done as an effort to get laymen to support the church programs,

Some Wesleyan Arminians suggest that laymen may have lost their salvation if they resist getting with the ministers program.

Some Classic Arminians suggest that laymen may not really still believe if they resist getting with the ministers program.

Some eternal security ministers suggest that laymen are not really saved in the first place if they resist getting with the ministers program.

All three type ministers have put too much emphasis on commiting sins or good works. Over the years, this is what has lead many laymen and some ministers to put too much emphasis on sins and works concerning their salvation.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The spelling cop has invaded this thread! ;)

It should be "lose your salvation" not "loose your salvation"

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I do not believe a regenerated believer can lose their salvation. There are too many verses in the NT that say we are saved, we have eternal life, nothing separates us (believers) from the love of God, etc.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

You gotta wonder why God didn't tell us in scripture how to lose salvation, don't you. But since He didn't.

6. JSM17

JSM17 New Member

So do you think that God has given even His children (saved souls) the choice of remaining in Him and being faithful? Does God given us choice to reject Him after being saved? Is there anyone in scripture that was saved yet chose the world over His life in Christ?

2 Tim 4:10

10 for Demas has forsaken me, having loved this present world, and has departed for Thessalonica
    NKJV

I realize that the text does not state that Demas was a saved man, perhaps he wasn't, yet it is strange to me that Paul would make a statement about one who was lost that followed after the world, if he was not saved this would be normal right?

1 Tim 1:19-20

19 having faith and a good conscience, which some having rejected, concerning the faith have suffered shipwreck,

20 of whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I delivered to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme.
    NKJV

If Paul delivered these men over to Satan they must have been saved or else they would have already belonged to him. It seems that people can reject faith and a good conscience.

7. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Amen. People can refuse to remain unbelievers.

Still, that does not mean that Christians can become unsaved, or that salvation can be revoked.

Frankly, it does not matter all that much to me. Why? I wish to serve the Lord until the day I die.

I doubt that I am alone on that sentiment.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think people can drift or turn away from God but not lose salvation. Deliver over to Satan meant disfellowshipped - this term was used by the Jews for throwing someone out of the synagogue. By putting these men out into the world, hopefully they would be convicted and turn back to God.

We know that Christians can be so "bad" that God takes them home - we see this in 1 Cor. where Paul says that due to the believers abusing the Lord's Supper, some were sick and some "sleep."

9. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

I am not one of these people, but I can tell you that it varies.

For some, if a person has made a single mistake without having asked forgiveness for it, even out of ignorance, salvation is revoked.

For some, it is not that easy to lose salvation. It takes a willful intention to `no longer' live for Jesus Christ.

#9 Darron Steele, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2009
  10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How does a "new creation" become an old one again? "The old is gone" is pretty clear.

11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The nature of the verse you reference is important. If one is "in Christ," then he or she is a new creation. What if one is not "in Christ?" That's the more relevant point of discussion.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If one is in Christ, he does not have salvation. So you can't lose what you don't have.

13. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Stanislaw, rather than focus on a specific time when ones salvation might be lost, I would consider it far more productive to focus on; will I reach my goal by faith and will I be found in Christ in the last day remaining on the path I am currently on in light of the testimony of my conscience as it now exists?

14. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point was that the question is whether or not one can be "in Christ" then "not in Christ."

The nature of the discussion, however, hinges so much on presuppositions that any convincing of others is mostly impossible unless presuppositions change.

I'm reminded of a sample discussion between a Calvinist and an Arminian:

C: "How can you be unborn if you are born again?"

A: "You don't. You die."

15. billwald

billwald New Member

There is no test for salvation except continuing good works.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't know for sure if this is a test for salvation. I think good words strengthen faith and they do show evidence for salvation but I think a believer can stop doing good works. Also, how is one to define "good works?"

Romans 8:16 says the Holy Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are saved.

Many verses assure us of salvation if we believe. We've had so many threads on this here I don't feel compelled to look them up and list them again.

17. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Really, how many good works do you need and how long must you continue. I am glad my salvation is not tested by good works and how long I continue in good works.

Perhaps you were joking?

18. billwald

billwald New Member

>Romans 8:16 says the Holy Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are saved.

Well, I believe that the Holy Spirit has so testified to my spirit but some on this list tell me that I am not a Christian. What should I do? Continue (to try) to love God and be a good neighbor or should I "invite Jesus into my heart" another dozen times?

19. Enow

Enow New Member

You have been bought with a price and sealed as His when you came to and believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God so you are saved. That is the power of God in salvation through Jesus Christ.

So while we are under grace which we have been saved by, let us walk by faith in the Son of God to help us live as His by trusting Jesus to be Our Good Shepherd. There is no point to having that reconciled relationship with God unless one seeks to be with God again.... and now that He is with us always, we can trust Him to help us walk with Him. So let us call on Jesus, looking to the author and finisher of our faith to help us run the race by the grace of God. This is how we get to know Him and the power of His resurrection when we see ourselves living the christian life by having faith in the Son of God.

So let us trust Jesus to keep our eyes on Him and not the winds of the storm of our lives for sin shall not have dominion over us. God's promise. Trust Him.:godisgood::jesus::praying: