1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do teens think of Christian Rock and other forms of CCM

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by Guitar25, Feb 24, 2005.

?
  1. I love it, i think it's a great thing

46.9%
  2. I enjoy it somewhat

12.5%
  3. I tolerate it, i don't really enjoy it though

40.6%
  4. I hate it, its appalling

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Guitar25

Guitar25 New Member

Oh my goodness. I think I'm gonna have a sesiure. Please, give me one good reason, why isn't a Christian Rock song that glorifies the name of God, Christ, talks about Christian Life or another positive aspect of Christianity in general, much like the song "Not Rock Stars" by DISCIPLE that I posted above does, isn't spiritual. Seriously, tell me? all you did was give your opinion, where are the facts to back it up?

Any song of any style can be spiritual. I love what XCube said above, that its the Lyrics that are moral, not the music style. Cause he's absolutly right

2. Ishouldbhappy

Ishouldbhappy New Member

Sea Of Faces By Kutless

I see the city lights all around me
    Everyone's obscure
    Ten million people each with their problems
    Why should anyone care

And in Your eyes I can see
    I am not just a man, vastly lost in this world
    Lost in a Sea of Faces
    Your body's the bread, Your blood is the wine
    Because you traded Your life for mine

Sometimes my life it feels so trivial
    Immersed in the greatness of space
    Yet somehow you still find the time for me
    It's then You show me Your love

And In Your eyes I can see
    And in Your arms I will be
    Lost in a Sea of Faces

If only my one heart
    Was all you'd gain from all it cost
    Well I know you would have still been a man
    With a reason
    To willingly offer your life

Lost in a Sea of Faces

Just one in a million faces

This is a Christian rock song Look at the words they are so beautiful. they are no different from the hymns. The words are so beautiful and they talk about if I was the only person Jesus would still die for me. Why can’t you get passed the music and see the words and that these groups want to glorify God just as much as a person who sings a hymn?
    The time has changed and the message does not have to change but the way we present it has to change or we can not reach people.

1corinthians9:19-23
    Although I am free in regard to all, I have made myself a slave to all so as to win over as many as possible.To the Jews I became like a Jew to win over Jews; to those under the law I became like one under the law--though I myself am not under the law--to win over those under the law.
    To those outside the law I became like one outside the law--though I am not outside God's law but within the law of Christ--to win over those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, to win over the weak. I have become all things to all, to save at least some. All this I do for the sake of the gospel, so that I too may have a share in it.

I feel that this type of music reaches to the teens who normally do not go to church.

in him Kristen

3. CubeX

CubeX New Member

Kristen, I do believe that verse is the jack-pot for the summary of Christian rock.

-David

4. Ishouldbhappy

Ishouldbhappy New Member

thanks we have to do what ever we can to reach the lost

5. woodyR

woodyR New Member

does that mean we should dress imodestly or do drugs just to be part of their crowd to witness to them? Should we start drinking and going to bars? No you should not.

6. CubeX

CubeX New Member

Should you start reading our statements WITHIN context? Yes. They are being based on 1 Corinthians9:19-23. We didn't invent these words.

-David

7. Bound4Glory

Bound4Glory New Member

I know many people that were heavy into rock and it didnt take "Christian rock" to get them saved. Now they detest anything close to resembling what they used to listen to..because it only reminds them of their past when they were lost and in sin.

8. CubeX

CubeX New Member

If it pulls them away from God and they are convicted of it, then they should NOT listen to it. Like me, everyone is saying that I should take my state's lotery scholarship and most people think it's alright, but I have a serious problem with it and I don't know why. So I shouldn't take it. (The reason why has probably has something to do with the fact that it could come back to haunt me.)
    -David

9. woodyR

woodyR New Member

17 And when Joshua heard the noise of the people as they shouted, he said unto Moses, [There is] a noise of war in the camp.

when your "Christian" rock stars are shouting and screaming words beating on drums and play their guitars and basses with the volume so lound it hurts a lot(not everyone's) of ppls ears thar sounds like war in the camp.

if you read the rest of the passage youll find that God was angry with the Children of Israel for all that they did.

10. CubeX

CubeX New Member

Ps 33:3 - Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Your argument only stands as a personal opinion on music volumes.

Also, what book and chapter is the verse that you quoted from? You didn't post either.

-David

[ March 29, 2005, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: CubeX ]

11. woodyR

woodyR New Member

sry exodus

12. KJVBibleThumper

KJVBibleThumper New Member

Well it seems that this subject has come up again, and as usual most of the pro-flesh pleasers(I mean pro-christian rockers) are using that old saw about "the music doesnt matter its the lyrics". Apparently these are people who believe that we could probably use "The Star Spangled Banner" for all movie soundtracks because music is "amoral"("without a sense of moral responsibility") and so the music really has no effect on the mood of the audience.
    WoodyR put it well when he pointed out that in
    Exodus 32:17-18 Moses and Joshua heard the voice of singing, however Joshua took it for the "noise of war". Now what would we consider the noise of war?(Remember, Joshua was Israels war leader, he was not an inexperienced neophyte. For him to think that there was a war going on down there, it had to sound like it.) Well, there would be screaming, shouting, things clashing together, etc. Amazingly, this is exactly what christian rock concerts sound like, and(gasp) what the world's hard rock concerts sound like. Could it be that they are the same? In Ecclesiastes 1:9 we read that there is "no new thing under the sun", so if it was around then its around now. Anyone want to argue the point that its todays rock and roll?
    My view on christian rock is that it is a tool of the devil that is being used to corrupt todays youth. In 1 Corinthians 10;21 we read that the devil has a counterfeit table, we know that in the end times there will be a fake christ(the Antichrist). He is always trying to counterfeit anything godly and "christian" rock is just his counterfeit of good godly music. The biblical admonition to "be not conformed to this world"(Romans 12:2) is being disregarded by todays christian youth who look,talk, and act just like the world.
    In Christ,
    KJVBibleThumper

13. Robert B

Robert B New Member

BibleThumper, if the Christian rock lyrics were like that of secular rock, then that would be conforming to the world. However, when the lryics are overtly Christian, that sets them APART from the world. That's why most Christian bands aren't invited to most secular events, because they are DIFFERENT than that of secular music. We are to be set APART from the world, but at the same time we must reach the world.

Your argument that Christian rock is a tool of the devil and is corrupting our youth is not valid, I am sorry to say. Is the internet worldly? Why are you using it then if it is wordly? Perhaps because it has the potential to let others know about the Gospel? Same thing with Christian rock, rap, whatever.

Marilyn Manson, KoRn, Kid Rock, etc. are what is corrupting our youth with their profane and dark lyrics. Remember, kids LISTEN to the LYRICS. They eat up everything Manson, Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, etc. SING in their LYRICS. Many are corrupted by this kind of music because they are LISTENING to the MESSAGE that Marilyn Manson sings about. It is not the guitars or drums which make them corrupt.

Understand this: Rock music garnered a reputation of being rebellious because of what they SANG about, not because of the STYLE of music. They often sung about drugs, sex, violence, gangs, etc. THAT is why rock has had a bad reputation. As I said before, Satan is not looming the strings of guitars, or the bangs of a drum.

When we sing about Christ, it does not matter how you sing it. As long as it praises Him, and exalts Him, then it is indeed Gospel music. Just because you can't get out of your head the notion of the rebellious rock doesn't give you a license to declare all Christian rock music a tool of the devil. It just doesn't work, and you have no Scriptural backing either. You cite verses which have nothing to do with rock music at all, and then claim you are Scripturally backes.

But as David cites, Ps 33:3 says - Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Our Lord deserves to be praised and worshiped. And if rock music is able to do that, then it is a valid way of honoring God. Just because you don't like it, and can't stand the sound of it, doesn't mean that you should say it's satanic. I find that quite startling as a matter of fact. I think you should try to understand a little bit more that music itself is not wicked of any kind, but rather the spirit which is involved in that music.

Thanks for reading my $0.02.

God bless,
    Robert B.

14. Ishouldbhappy

Ishouldbhappy New Member

I was not saying to go out and drink or go to the bars. But they need Jesus just like you and me. You have to get on peoples level you just can not run in and start preaching at them. If music helps you relate to them and witness to them. You do what ya got to do. I do not want their blood on my hands.

My two very best friends are not Christians and I listen to Christian rock with them when they ride in the car with me and it has given me many chances to talk to them about what he has done for me.
    Kristen

15. Guitar25

Guitar25 New Member

KJV, I'm going to make my point simple. Dispite everything else you said in your post, the point that I'm going to try to make to you is that it IS THE LYRICS THAT MATTER, not the music style. What is it that makes the music played by the instruments as well as the instrumentalists wrong? please tell me

If church hymnals were played with a distored guitar and drumms and a bass, but they lyrics remaind the same, would you think them to be immoral? If so, why? If not, then why is it different for CCM?

16. God'sMusicGirl07

God'sMusicGirl07 New Member

I listen to all types of music. I love music!!!
    Whether you listen to nothing but gospel or whatever the music is not what is important. What is important is that Jesus saves and we tell people that! One more thing music is not the point in worship. What is important is that you communicate with God. So I believe that the argument about music is useless.

17. Ishouldbhappy

Ishouldbhappy New Member

Great job lil sis.
    Love ki

18. Guitar25

Guitar25 New Member

Nice post God'sMusicGirl07

God Bless
    Guitar25

19. woodyR

woodyR New Member

You have to get on peoples level - ishouldbehappy

i go back to what i said earlier. you dont sink down to a drunk or a druggy's level to witness to them!!!!!

20. Guitar25

Guitar25 New Member

I don't think thats what he meant woody.

I think what he meant was that you have to see if from there point of view, try and relate to them as best you can before anything then explain to them.