1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do teens think of Christian Rock and other forms of CCM

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by Guitar25, Feb 24, 2005.

?
  1. I love it, i think it's a great thing

46.9%
  2. I enjoy it somewhat

12.5%
  3. I tolerate it, i don't really enjoy it though

40.6%
  4. I hate it, its appalling

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bound4Glory

Bound4Glory New Member

To answer your question..no i do not.
    Before I surrendered my life to Christ and His ministry..I pretty much listened to everything.
    Country, Pop, and even rock. I was saved but not liveing the Christian life I was supposed to be.
    At the time I started getting more involved in church (a little over a year ago) I was getting into the contemporary christian music. I soon realized that I shouldnt be listening to that kind of music for several reasons. I gave it up and now I only listen/sing hymms, and plain christian gospel music. Concord Baptist Youth Chior, Marksmen Quartet, The Rochesters, Daniel and Stormy Waters, etc.

2. Bound4Glory

Bound4Glory New Member

Now you also say that you have only heard small clips of music now how do you know that he didnt just find a clip that was fitting his statement. How can you say that this site is true if you yourself have never actually listened to CCM? How can you make judgement based on what someone else has said? I have heard plenty of CCM that is actually Christian in lyrics and some that people claim to be CCM but arent.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ckm,
    I need to correct what I said. I have never been "into" christian rock. I have listened to it a couple of times. Like I just told Kristen..For a couple months about a year ago I was getting pretty into CCM. So I have listened to some, enough to know that I can stand on how I feel.
    In addition..
    One of my good friends used to be HEAVY into Christian rock. He is my pastors son and He used to be a real punk. As soon as he gave up that music he began to change. He surrendered his life to the ministry and God has called him to be a preacher (church planter probably). He is in Seminary school..and If there is anyone I could recomend you talking to about that music..it would be him(Unfortunatly I dont now how that could happen). He knows what he is talking about..not only from a Biblical percpective..but also from a testimonial stand point.

3. CubeX

CubeX New Member

http://www.mindspring.com/~brucec/craindex.htm

Here's a site for those who oppose Christian rock. You give us one, so we'll give you one back. It's only fair.

Also, EVERYONE needs to make sure that they remember that Christian rock is not the same as Christian rock artists! There's been arguments against and for Christian rock on the basis of either promoting or attacking the artists of the music style. We are talking about music! MUSIC! Not artists. People fail, deal with it. SO do you! Now, forgive them and move on because most of them have already made that clear in their testimonies.

The style in music is a person's taste or preference.

I'm going to go out on a "dangerous" limb here and plainly state:
    You can worship God, praise God, and witness to non-believers using:
    Hymns
    Accopela
    Rap
    Hip-hop
    R&B
    Soft Rock
    Hard Rock
    Alt. Rock
    Punk
    Grunge
    Emo
    Screamo
    Metal
    Rap-core
    Bluegrass
    Country
    Arabic
    Indian
    Pop
    Gregorian chants
    Instrumentals
    etc., etc., etc..........

If you were to define music, what would you define it as? Webster says it is an "arrangement of sounds into pleasing patterns, with pitch, harmony, melody, rhythm". That's what music is. I will praise my God and my Savior, Jesus Christ, using any form of it I like because it is with the heart that you worship and love the Lord your God. I will praise him using music.

-David

4. ckm49er

ckm49er New Member

Im not sure if you are against CCM or with it David you kind of go both ways? you give a site for those who oppose CCM but then you say that
    So im not really sure

5. kallmekrazykatie

kallmekrazykatie New Member

The bibles tells us to sing to the Lord a new song. The Bible also tells us that david used tamborines and cymbals. Christian ROck reaches the teens and people who don't like Hymns and southern gospel

6. Gib

Gib Active Member

I've been to a few Campfire Gospel Sings in my lifetime. I was in Chipley, Florida when a fight broke out with between 2 of the singing groups. A few choice words and a lot of pushing are things you see after school in the parking lot, but that night it happened at the sing and everyone saw it.

I still like some SOG even though I witnessed that fiasco. If some of you heard about that happening at a Jars of Clay concert, you would say, "that's what happens when you go to those kind of concerts." But some of you, hearing that it happened at a gospel sing, would have compassion and think, "we're all human and those kind of things happen."

I've witnessed old people sitting in lawn chairs telling crude jokes. I went to one sing and they had a smoking section blocked off for smokers. There's nothing funnier seeing an old lady, standing, clapping her hands, stomping her feet and holding a lit cigarette with her lips.

With that said, I have not let it interfere with my enjoyment of SOG.

7. Guitar25

Guitar25 New Member

Maybe that's how it is where you live but not where I live. I have seen christian rock lead hundreds to Christ at one concert. At last years Kingdom Bound, when they opened the prayer tents there were hundreds of teens lined up to pray and hundreds lined up to become saved. Teens around here use and listen to Christian rock for the better. Dont judge it all by what yuo see teens around there do.

8. CubeX

CubeX New Member

So im not really sure </font>[/QUOTE]The site is for Christian rock (unless I have been mislead) but it also points out that CCM hasn't always been perfect and never will. It's like the church, it strives, but it often fails. Why? Because we're humans -- its what we do.

I am for Christian rock all the way. As for CCM, it has its flaws, but it is still a useful tool in the kingdom of God.

Sry if I confused anyone.

-David

9. Guitar25

Guitar25 New Member

Amen David.

We can state our opinions till the day we die, and I'm with you that christian rock and all other forms of CCM glorifys Christ and is a very useful tool and useful way to worship and minister. I do it myself with my band. But the only person who can make the decision of whether or not its glorifying to God is God himself. none other.

10. Ishouldbhappy

Ishouldbhappy New Member

Before I surrendered my life to Christ and His ministry..I pretty much listened to everything.
    Country, Pop, and even rock. I was saved but not liveing the Christian life I was supposed to be.
    At the time I started getting more involved in church (a little over a year ago) I was getting into the contemporary christian music. I soon realized that I shouldnt be listening to that kind of music for several reasons. I gave it up and now I only listen/sing hymms, and plain christian gospel music. Concord Baptist Youth Chior, Marksmen Quartet, The Rochesters, Daniel and Stormy Waters, etc.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I can respect that I know how that can go you do what you need to do to keep things right with God
    Kristen

11. Bound4Glory

Bound4Glory New Member

12. Bound4Glory

Bound4Glory New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]I can respect that I know how that can go you do what you need to do to keep things right with God
    Kristen
    </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks Kristen.. [​IMG]

13. Bound4Glory

Bound4Glory New Member

To be honest with you..I was not even thinking of sticking up for those Southern Gospel singers that you mention that did that. The first thought that came to mind was disbelief...Its a shame that any Christians..especially those that are suppossed to be singing praise to Christ..would behave in such a manner. But that shouldnt sway someones veiws on that genre's music. Not all singers are like that. Likewise..I know you'll are all probably thinking "then why does she give us sites about the artist"..That last site I gave was focused on merely what the guidlies on music should be. It gives ALOT of scripture and hardly says anything about the artists, but more the music itself.
    But I can still say that it IS wrong to listen to someones music that is in sin and wont confess..or that sings secular songs that are by satanist/atheist. Will any agree with that at the least!?

14. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Thread is closed due to length and it not being the intent of the one who started it.