1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do think about holding hands in church?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Joe, Jan 19, 2008.

?
  1. I like holding hands in church

27.3%
  2. I am ok with holding hands in church

34.1%
  3. I don't prefer it, but will tolerate holding hands in church

13.6%
  4. I don't like holding hands in church

25.0%
  1. Joe

Joe New Member

What do you think about holding hands in church during the regular Sunday service? Such as gathering in a group for prayer time. This means holding hands with strangers

Edited

#1 Joe, Jan 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2008
  2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems more reasonable than holding feet.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Are you talking Sunday morning? Night? Wednesday night?

Well, it kind of depends. There have been Sunday mornings over the past year that just going to church has been difficult and with God's grace it's taken all I've had in me to hold myself together. Some Sunday's I've not been especially successful, so on those Sundays, I'm not sure I'd be thrilled at the prospect of having to hop up and grab someone's hand and pray with them. Of course, I'd not be prepared for this on a Sunday morning, but I'd know it might come on Sunday night or Wednesday night and if I was feeling especially vunerable, I'd probably stay clear.

Normally, I'd be all for it, but I have come to realize that people do have reasons to not want to embrace others (or even want to hold hands).

4. Joe

Joe New Member

If you don't mind me asking, do you mean it would be comforting at this time, or harder for you? I edited it to say the regular Sunday Service

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

It would be harder for me. It doesn't happen often, but if I can hardly focus on what's going on without crying (and I don't know why it seems to happen in certain places like church more often - but it does), then that's not an experience I want to share or be questioned over. "Bitsy, honey, are you ok?" "No you aren't!" Sometimes it's easier to keep to myself :D

6. PK

PK New Member

My wife loves to hold my hand....:laugh:

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I hold my husband's hand too. He always grabs mine during prayer. ;) That one I NEVER mind!

8. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife and girls? Sure. Sounds good to me. I'm not real strong on "everybody take someone's hand and let's pray..." Not everyone wants to hold strangers hands.

9. Joe

Joe New Member

Gotcha ;)
    I used to dread this part of the service, but since I have gotten to know others better, it's not so bad.

10. standingfirminChrist

There is an old proverb, 'Idle hands are the devil's workshop'...

... of course, wandering hands can also be accused of the same.

What is the mindset of those holding hands? is one being encouraged to take his neighbor's hand not mature in the Lord? Could that open doors for evil thoughts in that one?

Things to think about before grabbing that neighbor's hand.

11. Joe

Joe New Member

Oh, I meant the practice of holding hands in a small group to pray for one another during Sunday church service.

Edited to add: But otherwise, are you saying it is possibly wrong to hold hands with someone unrelated to you during church, such as while you are sitting and listening to the preacher?

#11 Joe, Jan 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2008
  12. D28guy

D28guy New Member

SBCPreacher.

Me too. Thats a wonderful thing to do in church.

We dont do that much where I am now, but I've been part of churches where thats quite common. I've never minded it at all.

Why would you consider them strangers?

And if is a 1st timer, why not take their hand to pray? I fail to see why anyone would object to taking a strangers hand in church.

Mike

13. standingfirminChrist

One better be sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit before grabbing another's hand.

Suppose that one whose hand you are grabbing has a spirit of lust? Do you think God would be pleased if you were feeding that spirit by grabbing that person's hand?

14. D28guy

D28guy New Member

SFIC,

1st of all, what do you think the odds are of someone grabbing the hand of someone of the opposite sex, during prayer in church, and becoming filled with lust over that?

I would say it would be "nill" to "extra-nill"

And 2ndly, if somehow it DID happen for that miniscule amount of time regarding the other person, the fault would be theirs not the innocent one!

Where do you get the idea that God would be displeased with the one who is innocent???

Mike

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then do you obey, or do you repudiate, Romans 16:16 ("Salute one another with a holy kiss")?

16. standingfirminChrist

Do you know what a holy kiss is?

17. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

At times, the whole church has held hands and prayed. It didn't bother me.

We always hold hands, at home or in a restaurant, when we ask the blessing over a meal, no matter who is at the table.

We have lost people over for meals and we still hold hands with them and pray. The touch of a friend or family can be healing and the Holy Spirit can work through that. We always thank God that He has allowed us to have so and so in our home.

It would be hard for me to lust after someone while I was worshiping the Lord in prayer.

As far as boys and girls holding hands in church (dating), I'm against it all the way.

Husbands and wives are a different story. I think it's sweet!

#17 I Am Blessed 24, Jan 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2008
  18. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question was: do you obey Romans 16:16, or do you repudiate it? Which is the answer?

19. standingfirminChrist

The commands to Greet or Salut one another with a holy kiss were written to the Church in Rome, Corinth, and Thessalonica.

Why not Philippi, Colosse, Ephesus, etc.? Surely if it were meant for every church, it Paul would have included it in those letters as well, would he not?

As I asked before, do you know what a holy kiss is? Do you know how it was given? Paul does not say.

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By that reasoning, it's only to the church at Rome that Paul instructed to "obey the higher powers." So that's not for us also?

Meanwhile, do you obey Romans 16:16, or do you repudiate it?