1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do we do now?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by donnA, Sep 19, 2001.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

I have been discussing this on another thread, and wanted to ask this question so I can get some discussion on this one thing.

What does the church do with someone whose been in jail? Whether or not they were christian before. What if they've repented, and want to live a changed life and know where they've geone wrong? What do you do with them? How do you treat them?
    Thats all I can think of on this subject at the moment.

2. myreflection26

myreflection26 New Member

Treat them as Jesus would and does. The bible says when we repent of our sin He is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and cleanse us from all unrightousness. I believe Jesus would love and befriend the individual straight out of jail repented of his sin.

Sue

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

katie asked:

What does the church do with someone whose been in jail? Whether or not they were christian before. What if they've repented, and want to live a changed life and know where they've geone wrong? What do you do with them? How do you treat them?

The way the Church treated Paul when he repented: offer him the "right hand of fellowship" (Gal. 2:9).

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Katie, check out Matthew 18 for church discipline.

If the individual has repented, then accept him--until he proves differently.

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Don said:

Katie, check out Matthew 18 for church discipline.

Matt. 18 has to do with disputes between brethren, i.e. one sins against another. It's for within the church. Accepting or rejecting someone who led a bad life before coming to Christ isn't in its jurisdiction.

If the individual has repented, then accept him--until he proves differently.

On this, however, we agree.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

What if they were in your church, what would you personally do? How would you react to them? Would your church memeber be able to come back to church? And I'm not asking about the church kicking them out or anything,something 'offical', but would the people welcome them back? Taking it of course that their desire to return to church was their desire to return to living with God, and not just wanting to loook good.

7. myreflection26

myreflection26 New Member

katie,

Why would any church not welcome in an ex con who has repented and shows a true sincerity about serving God? None of us deserve forgiveness but God forgives and forgets so why shouldn't we? Don't treat him/her any differently than you would want to be treated in their place. Don't forget Jonah and Ninivah....they repented and turned back to God but Jonah didn't think they deserved forgivness but God showed him otherwise...just love that person and help him or her make the right choices of serving Jesus.

:D
    Sue

8. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

katie asked:

What if they were in your church, what would you personally do?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>But if anyone has caused grief, he has not grieved me, but all of you to some extent - not to be too severe. This punishment which was inflicted by the majority is sufficient for such a man, so that, on the contrary, you ought rather to forgive and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one be swallowed up with too much sorrow. Therefore I urge you to reaffirm your love to him. (2 Cor. 2:5-8)

Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. Bear one another's burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ. (Gal. 6:1-2)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I have been in this situation. Virtually no one in the church knows, or at least if they do they don't mention it. It is a non-issue. When someone repents, they are to be restored or accepted, depending on the case. There may or may not be a need for public confession.

10. Chet

Chet New Member

I also think it depends on the situation. A person reaps what they sow. For example if that ex-con was convicted of child molestation, then I don't think too many parents are going to want him to baby sit. Nor would it be very wise for a Pastor to put him in charge of the nursery, or buss ministry. It would only be a natual reaction to be more than cautious in such a situation.

Chet

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Pastor Larry,
    Affraid this one everyone knows about, at least those who were members or attending at the time, it was in the local news paper and on tv (one time).(Not saying much our town is so small) But only those at he church know the person. So new people wouldn't realize it.
    Chet,
    no, not child molestation. Not a crime that harmed anyone's person.