1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Do You Believe is God’s View?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by 4ever4Jesus, Oct 7, 2010.

?
  1. I believe God is fine with this

9.1%
  2. I don’t believe God supports or intends women should have Babies this way

27.3%
  3. I am not certain on this what God thinks

54.5%
  4. Would a milk shake at McDonald’s work for a woman to have a baby hahahah.

9.1%
  1. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

So your general principles does have exceptions and loopholes. Thats fine, I just wanted to be clear on how universal your principle was and what sort of exceptions might be allowed. For you, it seems to be more a general guideline rather than a rule which defines right and wrong. I agree with that.

I would agree with it being unwise. Still though, I can find no way to Scripturally condemn it. What may be unwise for one is not necessarily so for another. If they can do so in true faith, then I can't absolutely say that it would be against God's will or desire for that person.

So any problems I have apply equally to any case where sperm donations is used.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree ABC. I know I dealt with infertility and the limits for my husband and I were fertility drugs and the natural way of conceiving. If we needed to have the fertilization outside the body, we would not do it. Even if we had no children, we felt that God creates children through a couple's intimacy. So if we could not have children on our own, we would have adopted.

3. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Children are a gift from God, created from both the father and mother who were joined together in marriage. Using a "donation" from someone else seems like man circumventing God's plan for their own choosing by instead forming a union of the wife and a stranger.

I am thankful God has blessed us with children. If not we would have tried to adopt.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It could be argued that premature babies should not be helped with medical equipment as it could be viewed as the same thing. Adoption is also donation...but from both parents :)

5. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Sorry but I fail to see the similarity to my point. Neither one of those things is deliberately choosing to form a child from the union of the wife and a stranger.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

First point was in reply to the portion that states "...seems like man circumventing God's plan for their own choosing..."

To be consistent, if it is OK to adopt a child that was formed out of wedlock apart from God's plan, it should also be OK for the couple to achieve the same end result using a sperm or egg donor as both are donations to the couple.

#26 webdog, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2010
  7. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Looking like this needs to be added to the mix:

Surrogate mothers.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now you've gone and thrown a monkey wrench into the whole thread :laugh:

9. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Your initial statement was based only on "circumventing God's plan". How is adoption not also "circumventing God's plan"? Adoption is outside of God's plan of mother and father conceiving and raising their own child. Adoption involves a deliberate choosing to circumvent God's plan. The only difference you point out is that the circumventing with sperm donation occurs at an earlier point in the whole process. Given that both adoption and sperm donation involve "circumvention God's plan", this difference would then seem to be one of degree (they circumvented earlier) rather than a difference of kind.

IOW, you need to more precisely define what you mean by "God's plan" and in what way sperm donation circumvents it but (presumably) adoption does not.

10. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I am talking specifically about the creation of a child.

The bible does instruct us to help orphans. It is a reach to compare wanting to love and raise an orphan, to a couple choosing to use sperm from a stranger to mix with the wife to form a child.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

True, we are to help orphans...but can it be gleaned from the passage this is speaking of adoption? It would appear an Orphanage would qualify.
    In adoption, a couple chooses to use sperm from a stranger AND the egg from a stranger.

12. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Sure a child that is adopted might have been born from circumstances that wouldn't have been Gods plan. But we are talking about making choices going forward not peoples mistakes of the past. I fail to see where a couple choosing to love an unwanted child is the same thing regardless of the circumstances of how the child was conceived.

13. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

That is a real reach. Showing love and compassion for an orphan by adopting them is not partaking in the choosing how that child was born.

You are usually a lot more reasonable than this Webdog, I am surprised at your logic here.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why is the method of the child being conceived the hinge and not the desire of the couple? If the couple cannot conceive, it's circumventing God's will regardless by even adopting. One can support an orphan without adopting in the same way they can support a widow (both linked, btw) without marrying them.
    I'm sorry I disappointed you ;)

15. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

The Bible also says that children are a blessing from God. This is true regardless of how they come about. Thus, not so much of a stretch. Particularly if one allows that is it good and acceptable for a single person to care for an orphan.

16. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

The issue is making a decision that would bring a child into the world, and if we have any indication of what the Godly way of doing that is. I think we do, through a Godly union of a husband and a wife, period. I am sorry but I still fail to see where adopting a child is similar to planing a birth of one.

Don't sweat it, usually I am in agreement with you. :thumbs:

17. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

I am not saying its the same thing - merely that the difference is not enough to allow one and disallow the other. You are in essence saying that its acceptable to 'circumvent God's plan' when it comes to having a child (and maybe even in raising the child), but not acceptable to 'circumvent God's plan' when it comes to conceiving a child. If the first is acceptable, it doesn't make sense (based on what you have argued so far at least) that the latter would be unacceptable. It seems you are drawing an arbitrary line between what is acceptable and what is not.

FWIW, I have the same difficulty with Webdog's position - he just seems to be drawing an arbitrary line in another place :) The arguments he presents against your position would seem to create the same sorts of problems for his.

#37 dwmoeller1, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2010
  18. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

No one is suggesting a child should not be loved regardless of how they were conceived, but using your logic there would be nothing biblically wrong with unwed women purposely conceiving children because they must be a blessing.

19. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

You are missing my point. I am not saying is is OK to circumvent Gods plan. If someone else did so and had a child, and gave up that child, that is an entirely separate issue to a couple adopting that child.

As far as your eluding to it being being wrong to adopt ("and maybe even in raising the child") the first example that comes to mind would be Joseph.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, my line is at God's will and desire. I do not believe it is His will or desire for a homosexual couple to adopt, use a sperm donor, surrogate mother, etc at any point as the entire union is based on sin. In regards to a single mother, I'm going to have to backtrack on my earlier stance. I can see times when a single father or mother could work, but ultimately it falls back on what God desires in the whole picture. Personally I think it would be acceptable in adoption and not trying to conceive.