1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you collect?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Gwen, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

He is an Atlanta Braves fan, so I guess his most favorite thing is a baseball signed by Tom Glavine and Greg Maddox. Our son, my husband and father-in-law all played high school baseball, so they really enjoy it.

The saddest thing is my mother-in-law found a box of baseball cards from the 60's in the attic and threw them away. She didn't think anyone would want them. :(

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, Gwen, I'm a Braves fan, too. My Dad's last pastorate was in Georgia, so I became one with him on furlough. Love both Glavine and Maddox!

Too bad about your mother-in-law throwing away the baseball cards. That's a common story. Twice, though, on furlough I've been able to price such boxes (one was just a shoe box) filled with great cards. :cool:

3. standingfirminChrist

I had a book that would have been worth a fortune. It was stolen from me. The book was titled, 'The President of the United States' by Woodrow Wilson. What made it a collector's prize is the fact that it was written when Wilson was in college and had no idea he would later become President of the United States.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I have an autographed Sid Bream ball, and we were at the game when he hit the grand slam. This was back when the Braves were nobodies, and they would give away free tickets by collecting cereal box flaps.

I also have a Mickey Mantle autograph, and my son has a Jim Palmer autographed ball.

Although this is not about baseball cards, I want to give kudos to Jamal Anderson. My son has been a fan of his from before he blew out his knees. Recently, he wrote to him and asked if he would sign some cards for him. He did!

5. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Hope of Glory--I'll never forget that game when poor ole Sid limped around the bases! Awesome that you were there! I remember those days with the Braves--you could pay for a General Admission ticket ($1) and the stadium was so empty that you could sit anywhere you wanted and no one cared.

John of Japan--Baseball is hugely popular in Japan, isn't it? We always watch the Little League World Series and Japan is always there.

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Watching Nixon steal - what was it? - 72 bases? Sid hitting a game-winning, come-from-behind grand slam, getting two or three of the promotional giveaways because only 700 people would show up for the games... lots more fun than watching a highly paid group play!

You should come up and watch Alaska League baseball sometime. The games are great! Mark McGwire played here one year.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Loved Sid Bream. I have a few of his baseball cards. Wasn't he a Liberty grad?

Yes, Gwen, the Japanese really love baseball. In Yokohama we were Yokohama Bay Stars fans. Up here in Hokkaido we have the Sapporo Fighters, and about once a year they have a game in our town.

Each Japanese pro team is allowed several foreign players, and I love to try to collect both the American and Japanese cards of these guys.

Speaking of old time Braves, Bob Horner, who played for the Braves in the '70's and '80's, played for the Swallows in Japan in 1987. I have a rare Japanese card of his and a few of his American cards. [​IMG]

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's too bad, standingfirminChrist. I love old books and have a few of them, though I don't know I could say I collect them. I have a TR Greek NT from about 1837 that is a treasure, and a NT dated about 1905 from the first ever Japanese Bible. [​IMG]

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

10. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Yes, I think Sid Bream was a Liberty grad. So is John Smoltz, I think.

I met Phil Niekro once in an elevator. I actually shook his hand! Very exciting!

I have two old books that are real treasures. One is an old hymnal that belonged to my husbands 2nd great grandfather--the old shaped note kind. The other is a hymnal from the church I grew up in--Forrest Hills Baptist. I love both of them. [​IMG]

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Nashville Predators, Tennessee Vols, Cincinnati Reds memorabilia; 1982 World's Fair memorabilia; items that relate to Baptist History, particularly preaching history.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On one furlough I picked up a Niekro autographed card in a card shop. Nice grab!

Gwen, I once presented my missionary ministry at Forrest Hills Baptist when Bill Pennell was pastor, if it's the same church. That would have been in about 1978 or 1979. [​IMG]

13. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

John--yes, it's the same church! Curtis Hutson was pastor, but when he left to be editor of Sword of the Lord, Bill Pennell came. I would have been there in 78 or 79. I was in college then. [​IMG]

14. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Nashville Predators Rock!!! My DH got me tickets to the Predators vs. Red Wings game in March. I'm so excited!

15. Gib

Gib Active Member

I collect paychecks, weekly. They're hard to find, but I get them when I can.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] [​IMG]