1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you concider false doctrine?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by music4Him, Nov 24, 2004.

1. music4Him

music4Him New Member

In doing a search on this site for some insight on false doctrines, I did not find any thing here in the "Christian DEBATE Forums (All Christians) » Other Christian Denominations" area.
    So what is it that you would concider a false doctrine?

Please be kind and just mention the doctrine not the Denomination that you seem might be false.

Also keep these scriptures in mind when writting your response.

Romans 12:5 -
    So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

Romans 12:16 -
    Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

1Corinthians 12:13 -
    For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

1Thessalonians 4:9 -
    But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.

~Be nice~ [​IMG]

Music4Him [​IMG]

Colossians 3:16 ~
    Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's an open-ended question. Since all of us likely to be narrow in what we consider to be true doctrine, it follows that we are all going to have a much longer list of doctrines we consider false. That said, let me get the ball rolling:-

#1. Sacramental soteriology, eg: baptismal regeneration. I wouldn't however consider those holding to that to automatically not be Christians, in contrast to...

#2 Anti-Trinitarianism, eg: Arianism

Yours in Christ

Matt

3. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Thank you Matt~
    And those are two very good indications of possible false doctrines. I would also agree with what you said in #1. when you said.... "I wouldn't however concider those holding to that to automatically not be Christians".....thank you for your thoughtfulness! [​IMG]

Music4Him

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Purgatory.

Praying to the dead or even "the dead in Christ".

Praying to any living being - but God.

Infant baptism "instead" of believers baptism.

Infallability of anyone but God.

Denying that all tradition and doctrine must be tested "sola scriptura".

Evolutionism as inserted by some into the Bible.

However I fully "expect" that all Christians would consider any doctrine that opposes the views of their own denomination to be "false doctrine". If they don't - they are not taking their own church seriously.

In Christ,

Bob

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That's a hard question. Most of my beliefs fall in line best with doctrines held by those in the Baptist denomination, but a lot of Baptists are uncomfortable with me because I don't see a number of other beliefs as undeniably false, even if I disagree with them.
    Technically anything that disagrees with what I disagree with is false to me, but I draw a line between what is false and what is condemning. I can't make myself see God in black and white, there's too many ways to interpret scripture that makes sense, and I can't imagine God condemning people for not fully understanding things that are not spelled out in black and white. He knows the intention of our hearts, and getting hung up on technicalities and misunderstandings probably isn't something He does.
    Blatant doctrines such as plural marriages, salvation through anyone apart from Christ, and denying the lake of fire exists are false doctrines that I can think of right now.
    Gina

6. music4Him

music4Him New Member

quote by BobRyan
    --------------------------------------------------
    However I fully "expect" that all Christians would consider any doctrine that opposes the views of their own denomination to be "false doctrine". If they don't - they are not taking their own church seriously.

Anyone can look at my profile and see the doctrines I agree with. (but I even find some things that I don't go along with 100%) [​IMG]

There are some things in the church that I attend when it comes to their doctrine that I can't see as being sound. That which seem to me un-sound I just set it aside until I can study it out. We need to come into fellowship with other believers though. Because the bible says:

Heb. 10:25 -
    Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

and also....
    Eph 4:5 -
    One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

But then how do we come together if everyone has their own ideas of how it should be? Confusing ain't it?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Thank you Bob for your input. [​IMG]

Music4Him

7. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Thank you Gina! [​IMG]

BTW, what is plural marriage? Is that what I'm think it means more than one? (I don't get out much ya'll.) LOL

Music4Him

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is no crime in believing something that is not exactly the same as what another Christian thinks - or even in thinking that your views are faithful to the text of scripture - while you consider others who differ from you to be in error to the extent that they differ.

That is to be "expected".

What is a crime - is to adopt a position towards the Bible or truth that stops you from learning or benefiting from the views of others. To be challenged, to dig and find where there is merit in a view and where there is not -- that is having a "love of the truth". Cling to the truth that you have, reject error when you find it (even if you find that you are the one holding on to it) and constantly seek for more.

In Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is the problem in a nutshell - 2Thess 2:1-12.

And particularly

8 Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming;
    9 that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders,
    10 and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved.
    11 For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false,
    12 in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.

In error - sin finds a hiding place and in sin - destruction finds a hiding place.

In Christ,

Bob

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

There's false doctrine and there's heresy. All heresy is false doctrine but not all false doctrine is heresy, according to some. There are too many doctrines that are false to list (such as universalism, inclusivism, purgatory, etc.).

Heresy is going against the Bible's clear teaching on essentials of the faith, so that would include:
    1. Denying the deity of Christ
    2. Denying the Trinity
    3. Denying the bodily resurrection
    4. Denying that Jesus paid for sins on the cross
    5. Any doctrine that changes the nature of God or Jesus or the HS, such as saying that God can do evil, or cannot know the future, or that the HS is a force, not a Person
    6. Adding works to grace
    7. Baptismal regeneration

All cults commit one or more of the above.

11. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Marcia,
    Your post was very informative. Thank you for your insight. [​IMG]

Music4Him

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Meaning having more than one spouse at a time. Sorry for the confusion!
    Gina

13. wopik

wopik New Member

Music4Him

Is there a difference between "false doctrine" and the doctrine blindly accepted by the mass of nominal Christians?

Some folks could say something is "false" just because the majority of nominal Christians don't accept it. I mean, that criteria alone could make a doctrine "false" for some people.

Let's face it, the majority of people sitting in those pews every sunday just accept the default Christianity they were raised with. They just assume what they believe is right. Most probably couldn't even go to their Bibles to prove or disprove anything.

"Right" to them is what they have always heard. "Wrong" is something their church never taught.

14. music4Him

music4Him New Member

wopik,
    Sounds like you have a vendetta aginst some denomination instead of a doctrine? I don't know if you ment it to sound that way?
    But it did seen judgemental how your post was worded can we stay with the topic please? [​IMG]
    BTW, I know it's kinda hard to tell how one is speaking when reading ones post. So if you didn't mean it to sound that way.....it will be my bad for reading it that way. [​IMG]

quote by Music4Him:
    Please be kind and just mention the doctrine not the Denomination that you seem might be false.

Give the facts of what you feel they might be following if it is false doctrine....what is it? Who knows....maybe one of those out of that majority that you mentioned and might come thru here and get inlightened? :confused:

Music4Him

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Hey, thanks music4Him!

Happy Thanksgiving!

16. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

I think Wopik was on topic, sort of. He just didn't name anything specific. [​IMG]

But here's my thought on it. Lets say that I go to a church that teaches that to be baptized correctly, one has to be immersed in water completely.

Down the road there might be another church that teaches that a lttle sprinkle is enough.

I would consider their way false doctrine. However, they would say that I practice false doctrine!

Which way is right? Each church will say their way is the right way. (because that is what they have been taught.)

Peace!!

Tam

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

False doctrine:
    anything that is heresy, as Marcia defined it.

Here are some others (false docrintes)to either add or think about:

speaking in tongues.
    tongues or spirit baptism necessary to salvation.
    baptismal regeneration.
    universalism.
    the claim that pastors and teachers are not needed.
    the claim that the local church is not needed.
    annihiliation of the wicked.
    denial of the Lake of Fire as a real place.
    denial of the eternal punishment of the wicked
    ecumenism
    --and many more.
    DHK

18. music4Him

music4Him New Member

DHK,
    Thank you for your input. [​IMG]
    I can't say that I agree with the first thing that you listed, this is only because the Apostles and disciples spake in tongues as it says in Acts so at one time they were in effect there. But if you feel that tongues are a false doctrine "for today" and they are not scriptural than maybe you can list them that way. [​IMG]

I will however agree with you on the 9 others you mentioned.
    BTW, when you mention universalism and ecumenism...you are talking about them being associated with the one world goverment, one world belief system. Right?

Thank you,
    Music4Him

Happy Thanksgiving to all~

19. Frank

Frank New Member

Calvinism!

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

universalism is the belief that all will be saved in the end no matter how wicked they have been in the end--even if they have always had the utmost hatred of Jesus Christ. All will be saved.

Ecumenism. You have the right idea, but it is much broader. It is all churches working together despite their denominational (doctrinal) differences. But it refers especially to believers working with unbelievers. For example, many people support a Billy Graham crusade. I believe that to do so is to be ecumenical because of all the religions involved in organizing such a crusade--many of them not evangelical. Billy Graham is a good example of one who is ecumenical.
    DHK