1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you concider false doctrine?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by music4Him, Nov 24, 2004.

1. music4Him

music4Him New Member

2. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

If Neal can't say it in plain english then I am NOT going to do a study on it.

If it is said plainly, I probably would not have to do a study to find out what he means.

Have a nice day,

Tam

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Sola scriptura is believing that God's word is the final authority for our faith.

Sola fide means "by faith alone;" that is, we are saved by grace through faith alone (not works or faith plus works).

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

sola scriptura is a doctrine that Luther gave meaning "only Scripture" or "Scripture alone." What he meant by it was that the Scripture was all sufficent for us in all matters of faith in doctrine.
    Reformed Baptists, and other reformed theologians--the site referred to above give good information, but stick to a reformed view of sola scriptura, which is very similar but slightly different than the way that I and some other Baptists would rather define it.

I would prefer to define the same "distinctive" in a Baptistic way of simply saying that "The Bible is our final (not our only) authority in all matters of faith and practice. It implies that there are other authoritative sources--not inspired sources, just sources that we can look to that have some degree of authority, even if it be a lexicon, encyclopedia, etc. But in all matters of faith and doctrine the Bible is our final authority. I hope that clears things up.
    DHK

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's curious. I have been exposed to many Missouri Synod Lutherans in the past 3 years and most seemed not to believe in baptismal regeneration or "the real physical presence of Christ in the Holy Communion."

Are they ignorant or are you different from them or have I possibly misunderstood or maybe a matter of definitions?

One friend of ours definitely gives a testimony of having been born again apart from baptism. Another friend went through the Lutheran new member program and relates different view from yours on 4 & 5.

6. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I honestly couldn't say about the people you know. It could be a matter of definitions as real presence and baptism as a means of grace are official teachings of the Lutherans in general.

7. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Chemnitz and Scott,
    There is one thing I have noticed about churches.
    The futher north you go.....the more strict(I'm not really sure thats the best term to describe the churches) maybe stiff? But here in Texas It seems the (people in the churches) churches are more relaxed. But then the Methodist church my MIL goes to (way out in the country) the pastor wasn't wearing a black shirt with a white collar, but the one in town they do. The Baptist church I used to attend the pastor would raise his hands and praise the Lord during singing, but some Baptist churches I want to wouldn't? I guess it must depend on the pastor as to what goes and what stays? :D

That must be one of the reasons I must of started this topic because of the different denominations and how each have the most improtant priorities staight on the basics learned from the 4 gosples including salvation, baptisim, the trinity, ect.

Music4Him

8. wopik

wopik New Member

What do you consider "false doctrine" ?

Psuche is the only word translated "soul" in the New Testament. It occurs 105 times, and is rendered "soul" 58 times, "life" 40 times, "mind" 3 times, and "heart", "heartily", "us", and "you" once each.

http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/psuche.html

9. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

These are what I consider to be the most serious of the false doctrines...

Babylon has been fostering poisonous doctrines, the wine of error. This wine of error is made up of false doctrines, such as the natural immortality of the soul (what happens when you die), the eternal torment of the wicked, the doing away with God's Law, advocating and exalting the first day of the week above God's holy, sanctified day and enforcing the observances of the church by civil authority (unity of church and state).

What happens when you die and the eternal torment of the wicked:
    http://www.digging4truth.org/Books_Bible11.asp

The perpetuity of God's Law:
    http://www.digging4truth.org/Books_Bible8.asp#Chapter%2070

Advocating and exalting the first day of the week over The Sabbath:
    http://www.digging4truth.org/Books_Bible9.asp

Church and State:
    http://www.digging4truth.org/Books_Bible10.asp#Chapter%20100

------------

http://www.religiouscounterfeits.org
    http://www.countrymanordesigns.com
    http://www.christiangraphics.org

10. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

False doctrine is shown in scripture to be of the "I'm the righteousness of God" party ( basically "the circumcision group") which desire to boast in their flesh rather then by the simplicity of the faith of Jesus Christ.

They appear righteous before men but God knows the heart. They justify themselves before men too, thats a given.

They add things that are not in scripture and by their tradition they set aside the commands of God which is to love God and your neighbor which hang all the law and the prophets.

God bless

Seth3

11. Cliftyman

Cliftyman New Member

Many verses in the bible referring to "false doctrines" do so in a way that means when the person delivers them does it with false intent.

Not necessarily that the message is wrong, but the deliverer knows they are false and purposefully misleads....

Personally I consider Gnosticism to be a false doctrine... anything that replaces the power of the gospel with works/knowledge or lies to me is a false doctrine.

12. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

I agree with Cliftyman, "prophesying falsely" in His name. Or speaking forth the word in the wrong spirit.

The only works we are to do is simply believe as our Lord said amen. But I certainly enjoy being rooted and grounded in love and growing in the grace and knowledge of God.

God Bless

Seth3

13. SealedEternal

SealedEternal New Member

The prevailing false doctrine among Christendom, is salvation which involves "works." God says that you must have your faith in Jesus Christ for your salvation, and that you cannot do anything that will qualify yourself for Heaven. Yet many Churches still insist that you have to do something, such as sacraments, or do good works to be saved, or to strive or persevere to stay save or prove you're saved. God says if you are working for your salvation, then you don't have it.

Galatians 5:4 "You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace."

Galatians 2:21, “I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness {comes} through the Law, then Christ died needlessly."

Galatians 2:16, “nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.”

Galatians 3:24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.

Romans 11:6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.

Galatians 3:2-3 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

The Bible says we're saved by God's grace alone, through our faith in Jesus Christ, and His atonement on the cross, to pay for all of our sins. We can't earn it, and don't deserve it, but only have it because of His grace, which He offered as a free gift. If we're trying to earn it on our own merits, then we don't have it.

Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace you have been SAVED through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the GIFT of GOD; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast."

Ephesians 1:13 "In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation -- having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,"

Romans 4:5 "But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness."

14. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Amen sealedeternal, good words!

But usually something "creeps up" behind those words, thats the problem. Alot of it tradition which is so common its considered gospel.

Simply "Believe"

God Bless

Seth3

15. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

He also says, "Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only (James 2:24)" and "But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead (James 2:20)."

I wholeheartedly agree we are saved wholly and totally by God's grace. But to minimize the importance of works (which ratify and demonstrate our internal faith) is to do an injustice to the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. After all, "we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them (Eph. 2:10)." Works should not be minimized, for faith without them is nothing. In like manner, works without faith is useless, just as much as faith without works. And besides, if it isn't clear that God values works done in faith, here is a bit more: "And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead with were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works (Rev. 20:12-13)." If we "simply believe," we will be in trouble when we are judged.

There are numerous other passages that could be cited, but I believe it is clear: faith has to have works with it, or else it is dead. Anyone can say they have faith, but without the accompanying works to demonstrate that faith, it is dead. But all of this is because of Almighty God's abundant grace! [​IMG]

In Christ,
    Neal

16. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

I agree Look at Rahab, she was justified by what she did. What a great person to hold up as a person of faith. She wasnt so wrapped up in knots concerning her own righteousness (which is as a filthy rag before God anyway).

I love that Rahab is mentioned

God bless

Seth3

17. wopik

wopik New Member

The fact that Paul expected Gentiles to keep the law is demonstrated in many scriptures throughout the book of Romans (e.g. Rom. 3:31; 7:12, 22; etc).

Romans 2:25-29 is especially interesting and direct, though often overlooked. Here uncircumcised Gentiles are admonished to be circumcised of the heart (v. 29) and to become Jews inwardly by keeping "the righteousness of the law" (v. 26) and by fulfilling the law (v. 27). (Obviously Paul could not have meant the full Sinaitic Covenant in his use of the term "law" here, since circumcision was a part of the law.)

Only with God's Holy Spirit, through Christ, can a human being fulfill the righteousness of the law (Rom. 8:4) and "delight in the law of God after the inward man" (Rom. 7:22).

18. wopik

wopik New Member

The Almighty's Law is to Salvation.

Obedience is the only reliable evidence of faith.

When questioned about the way to eternal life, the Saviour referred his enquirer to obedience. Matt.19: 16 -- And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17: And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God:
    but if thou wilt enter into life, KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS.

19. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

The obedience to "The faith" of Christ is obeying the royal law of love on which all the law and the prophets hang. Its an inner purifying faith in the HOPE that we have which is Christ "in us" our hope of glory.

He made the "inside" of the cup and dish as well, the Pharisees looked good and appeared righteous to men on the "outside" thats where faith and hope purify the inside that the outside would be clean as well.

The verse to the "pure" all things are pure but to the defiled nothing is pure. Its the pure in heart who have purified themselves in the hope and faith in Christ Jesus.

God bless

Seth3