1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Do You Know About Tony Campolo?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Oct 14, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Amazingly enough, one of keynote speakers for the General Session at the National Pastor’s Conference 2006 sponsored by Zondervan, Leadership and InterVarsityPress at the end of the month is Tony Campolo. Campolo is professor emeritus of Sociology at Eastern University and an ordained minister in the American Baptist Church. Brian McLaren recently co-authored Adventures In Missing The Point with Campolo and he also endorses Campolo’s 2004 book Speaking My Mind: The Radical Evangelical Prophet Tackles the Tough Issues Christians Are Afraid to Face.
    As we begin let me quickly address something about the style in which I have been writing on occasion concerning most of the leadership of the Emergent Church. I’ve been a bit taunting at times by using the title Guru, and most particularly concerning Alan Jones and Marcus Borg, Emergent spiritual director Brian McLaren’s interspiritualist mentors. Let’s not forget that McLaren has brought all this upon himself through his relentless criticisms of the historic orthodox Christian faith. And these aforementioned men McLaren has chosen to associate himself with, both of whom deny the inerrancy of Scripture and the full Deity of Jesus Christ (at least), are known by the foolish title of “living spiritual teachers.”

http://www.apprising.org/archives/2006/02/emergent_evange.html

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

[SIZE=+2]Tony Campolo[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]Young people are easy targets for modern false prophets and their teachings. The appended post from Sandy Simpson exposes the ministry of Youth Alive as an agency to draw youth into the Brownsville A/G Revival and Third Wave experience. Also available on Sandy's Outrigger Productions web site are several informative articles on the Gnostic theology and occult phenomena associated with the Third Wave movement.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]As might be expected, popular youth speaker Tony Campolo is also associated with Youth Alive and scheduled to hold a Gotta Have Hope Tour in Australia in March of 1999. Since this event will take place a few weeks before Easter, it is worthwhile to consider Dr. Campolo's doctrine of the resurrected Christ, as expressed in his controversial book, A REASONABLE FAITH:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]""He can be found exactly where he said. He told us that he did not dwell in temples and churches that we build in his honor. Instead, he encouraged us to look for him in one another. He said, 'You are my temples I dwell in you. What I am trying to say is that Jesus who incarnated God 2,000 years ago is mystically present and waiting to be discovered in EVERY person you and I encounter.' (p. 171)[/SIZE] [SIZE=+0]"...In describing the resurrected Jesus as the SACRED PRESENCE waiting to be encountered in other people, I was making a literal statement. I do not mean that the others represent Jesus for us. I mean that Jesus actually is present in each person. He continues to live in our midst, not as a religious influence or a sacred idea. He is personally alive. It is the historical Jesus who is encountered in the I -Thou. It is the resurrected Lord of the universe who is revealed to those who are open to his presence in others. Jesus is a REAL PRESENCE in other people and this convinces me that there are infinite possibilities for the future and great hope for the world." (p. 192) [caps added][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]What is the "Hope" young people "Gotta Have" according to Tony Campolo? Is it the Gospel or recognition of the "sacred presence" in themselves and every person? Theosophist Alice Bailey described the first stage of an initiation ceremony as the revelation to the initiate of "The Presence" of "the God within"...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]"We can now consider the stages of the initiation ceremony, which are five in number, as follows: 1. The 'Presence' revealed. 2. The 'Vision' seen. 3. The application of the rod, affecting the bodies, the centres, the causal vehicle. 4. The administration of the oath. 5. The giving of the 'Secret' and the Word...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]"The Revelation of the 'Presence'[/SIZE] [SIZE=+0]"Right through the later periods of the cycle of incarnation... there is growing up in his mind a realisation that he himself is an immortal Existence, and eternal God, and a portion of Infinity. Ever the link between the man on the physical plane and this inner Ruler becomes clearer until the great revelation is made. Then comes a moment in his existence when the man stands consciously face to face with his real Self and knows himself to be that Self in reality and not just theoretically; he becomes aware of the God within, not through the sense of hearing, or through attention to the inner voice directing and controlling, and called the 'voice of conscience.' This time the recognition is through sight and direct vision. He now responds not only to that which is heard, but also to that which he sees." (Initiation: Human & Solar, pp. 112-13)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]Dr. Campolo has forthrightly acknowledged that his view of Jesus indwelling every person is inconsistent with Scripture, and based on experiences instead. In fact, it is the New Age concept of "the Christ within." Anticipating unfavorable reactions to his book, Campolo wrote:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]"There are some warnings that I wish to issue to anyone reading this book. The first is to be aware that the theology expressed in this short volume represents a personal attempt to state my Christian faith in a way that might prove meaningful for my secularist friends. I am sensitive to the fact that any attempt to state the Gospel in the dominant categories of a culture inevitably leads to a distortion of the Gospel. Consequently, anyone who accuses me of violating the biblical message is correct." (p. 190)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]Tony Campolo KNOWS that his message is HERETICAL.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]Notwithstanding this candid admission, he has been invited to address young people at Youth Alive with the knowledge and approval of the Assemblies of God. In fact, Tony Campolo has for many years been a popular speaker at the youth events of many denominations and nondenominational churches.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+0]It remains for parents, therefore, to become informed about the teachings of this false prophet and increasingly vigilant regarding church sponsored youth activities for their teenagers. For a more thorough evaluation of Tony Campolo, VCY America has posted Excerpts from Renegade Prophet? A Look at the Teachings of Tony Campolo.[/SIZE]

http://www.watch.pair.com/lambs.html

3. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad answers. One such answer is that somehow all suffering is a part of God's great plan. In the midst of agonies, someone is likely to quote from the Bible, telling us that if we would just be patient, we eventually would see "all things work together for the good, for those who love God, and are called according to His purposes." (Romans 8:28) I don't doubt that God can bring good out of tragedies, but the Bible is clear that God is not the author of evil! (James 1:15) Statements like that dishonor God, and are responsible for driving more people away from Christianity than all the arguments that atheistic philosophers could ever muster. When the floods swept into the Gulf Coast, God was the first one who wept.

http://www.albertmohler.com/blog_read.php?id=259

4. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Mohler is the one we should be questioning not Tony Campolo.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Why do we need to question Mohler? Is he flirting with Open Theism or the amorality of homosexuality or multiple ways to God?

2. Please, let us know.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What Do You Know About Tony Campolo?

He's Italian?

7. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mohler accuses Campolo of challenging the omnipotence of God, which has nothing to do with Open Theism which challenges the omniscience of God.

I'm not sure why Open Theism is even being discussed in this thread.

8. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

No actually, George Bush has been the person to speak out on "multiple ways to God." (He believes in it.)