What do you normally do when a Jehovah Witness knocks on your door?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando
    Expand Collapse

What do you normally do when a Jehovah Witness knocks on your door?

I honestly used to just not open the door really. However lately I have been opening the door and explaining to them how I dont agree with their Doctrine and that Jesus was just a good man and prophet but not God's Son.

Like the other day, me and my wife were at the Grocery store and these gentleman came to me and offered the Watchtower Magazine which talked about he love that Jesus has for man.

I told him: "Well, I want to be honest. I dont want to take your magazine because I dont agree with it and I will just throw it in the garbage can.

He stated lol :laugh:

He said: "Well, you know all we use is Bible quotes provided to us by our elders and thats what we have in this book so I am sure you will enjoy it"

I told him: "Well, I like to go to the source directly. I like to read the word myself and allow God to reveal to me his truths and not just take some one elses word for it, doesnt that make sence? I mean if I get a piece of paper and quote you a verse that says, sell what you have and give it to Tali, would you do it? Of course you wouldnt, you would verify it and make sure its accurate right?

He said: "Yes"

I told him: "Well, then why are you taking other men's word regarding your salvation instead of looking up the word of God and reading what God actualy says. I tell you this because I believe that Jesus died on that cross and paid the price for my sins and he would love to do it for yours too and I can prove it even with your watchtower bible which was altered by men, can you prove what you are saying that Jesus was Michael the Angel with your Bible?

He Just Smiled and shook my hand and said thanks have a great day.

Was I wrong in this???? My wife who is a baby Christian said I was being mean, but I was trying to be nice!! I didnt mean to but I mean its easy just to brush them off but they are men and woman who God woudl love to save.

Was I wrong?? :tonofbricks:

2. DHK

DHK
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

It used to be that the J.W.'s would be willing to stand on your doorstep and be willing to debate you for an hour or two if you had the patience.
    But now their methodology has changed. If they know your doctrine is opposed to theirs, they won't get involved in a discussion but simply say "have a nice day," and move on. At least that is my experience here.

Usually I tell them that I don't accept literature from those that don't believe the Bible is true, or don't believe that Jesus is God, or some other inflammatory statement, that goes directly contrary to their religion, and will provoke a response.

Before I end, I always ask the question: "Have you been born again?" Always the answer is: "No." I quote to them John 3:3. Tell them that unless they are born again they have no hope of either heaven or the Kingdom of God. And then leave it at that before they go away.

3. webdog

webdog
    Expand Collapse

heck no you weren't wrong! I believe you did an excellent job! You weren't mean, either. In fact, you showed the love you have for him, so much so that you shared the Gift given to you with him. I wish I could only be as bold on such occasions.

I like CS Lewis' "tri-lemma" approach, too. Jesus couldn't have been only a "good man" or prophet. Only someone who is a liar (he knows he is not God, but tells everyone he is), a lunatic (he actually believes he is God, and tells everyone he is, but he is not) or Lord (He IS God) would claim what Jesus claimed.

#3 webdog, Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2008
  4. annsni

annsni
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

We've run the gammut of what to do - from hiding to engaging. We've found that if you try to give them the Four Spiritual Laws or some other tract in exchange for theirs, they won't even touch it. Just won't take it at all. We told them that we'd take their stuff if they take ours. They wouldn't do it so we didn't take their thing.

Recently, my husband has been "targeted" by a woman from the local KH and she's been coming back...umm.. 4 times now? Most recently they left us their booklet on the Trinity which, it turns out has a lot of partial quotes from evangelical publications and so make it seem like well-known evangelicals don't believe the Trinity is a true doctrine when that is far from the truth.

A good website that I found is www.towerwatch.com (or .org) which is a site from former JWs. They say not to engage on the Trinity front unless forced (as it seems my hubby has been) because that really needs to be from God revealing it to them - you're not going to be able to convince an unsaved person about it. But he's going to try to show them that the Scriptures prove that Jesus is Jehovah - we'll see how that goes.

I think you did a fine job. You're much kinder than the majority of people who are approached by JW I'm sure.

5. DHK

DHK
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

Keep up the good work Tali.

6. chuck2336

chuck2336
    Expand Collapse

I have found that if they come across someone who knows not only what they believe but also what the JW believe they will leave quickly.

7. Rubato 1

Rubato 1
    Expand Collapse

I love to ask questions...

Whether they have ever read Isaiah 43-52, and if so, would they explain a few phrases?

Whether their leader ever mentioned that the subject of Psalm 8 is obvioulsy a personification of wisdom, not Jesus?

They have never stayed more than 8 minutes! :laugh:

8. trustitl

trustitl
    Expand Collapse

I figure that they are either deceived or seeking truth. Either way I feel obligated to share some truth with them that can set them free. I hope some day to have one of them come up to me on the streets of gold and thank me.

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson
    Expand Collapse

Tali, I think you did just fine.

We haven't seen a JW at our door in probably 7 years or so. After my wife talked to the last one who showed up, they probably decided that she wasn't somebody to be trifled with (they're right) and to stay away from that house.

10. Alcott

Alcott
    Expand Collapse

I think I've been blacklisted, per se, by cults that used to come to my door. Now it's been a couple of years since any have come; and that last time it was a couple of Mormons, guys about 20, and I saw their name tags as one said, "Hello, sir," and I roared "Clear out o' here!-- now!" I have seen them (Mormons and others) on my street since then, but they don't come to my house. So I get the idea that simple rudeness like shutting the door in their faces won't keep them away, but a little savagery does.

On the other hand, years ago I did sometimes try to engage them in conversation, and I doubt if it ever helped. But I do think the 'key' to beginning a little thinking on their part is to ask about the resurrection; and that easy to 'slide' into by saying "I believe in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ." They will answer they do, then quickly try to state a new thought-- but don't let them. Continue and say, "May I ask you, then, if you really believe Jesus arose in body?" They will answer "no, Jehovah probably dissolved his body in gases." Then ask if his spirit rose. They will answer "His spirit was just his breath; it didn't rise." Then ask if his soul rose. The answer: "The soul is not separate from the body, so it didn't rise." The next question is obvious: "If his body didn't rise, his soul didn't rise, and his spirit didn't rise, then what did rise?" Then should follow a few words about their re-creation doctrine, which they term 'resurrection' in their double-talk. You can't expect it go much, if any further, if you get this far, but as I mentioned, it can be a key to stirring some thought.

But if that seems complicated, or they won't answer any questions about resurrection, then ask about the fate of those who refuse to join them. "Death"-- meaning annihilation, not damnation. Then say, "So either I join your religion, or else one day I wlll completely cease to exist, never knowing I was wrong. That doesn't sound so bad." I haven't actually tried that one, but I get the chance that's how I will play it next time.

11. BobRyan

BobRyan
    Expand Collapse

I invite them in!!

I ask them to study the Bible with me -- for as long as they will do it.

-- But I do not recommend this for people who are not already into the Word at a level where you are genuinely ready to share with someone of another faith, where "opinions may vary" and where "hard questions will arise" that you can not answer in a minute, a day - or maybe even in a week.

JW's are people - just like everyone else out there - and many of the ones that will go door-to-door know more about that Bible than most of your neighbors.

That's the good news - and that's the bad news.

JW's are Arminian.

They believe in a sola-scriptura foundation for doctrine at least "in principle".

They believe in literal acceptance of the Creation story and they believe that God alone is to be worshipped.

They have been told that their group is the most Biblically accurate and Biblically "aware" -- and frankly when they go door-to-door nine times out of ten they discover that they have been given the correct view of the neighborhood. Not to say that people on this board would have trouble with them - but then this board does not represent the average neighborhood.

in Christ,

Bob

12. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando
    Expand Collapse

I know this is silly and retarded of my part. However when I was younger in the lord. I would say 3 years ago, I had a friend of mind his name was Angel. He was a Jehovah Witness and I was always trying to minister to him in every way possible. We used to work together and stuff.

Well, one day I invited him to Church and he said only if you go to mine. Well, please keep in mind I was a little ignorant. I wouldnt step a foot inside one of their Kingdom Halls now.

Well, he said.. if you come to mine I will go to yours. So I went on to his Jehova Witness service and I thought I was this huge warrior for Christ about to slam them down. :laugh:

Well, as soon as I walked in. They asked why did I have the Bible that I had and I explained. Then they stated singing songs that no rythim at all, it was scary like in the Haloween movies. The songs talked about those false churches in the world and that they wanted to get rid of them.

The preaching was about ants and worms and talked about how we should be like ants.

They gave me a part to present my self.

I was like: "God Bless to you all, I a Christian and a friend of Angel"

They were cool with it but looked at me funny because everytime he would quote scripture I would pull out my Bible to check it out while they only pulled out a watchtower book and they didnt like that.

13. Matt Black

Matt Black
    Expand Collapse

I always look at them strangely when they come to the door and ask "Are you a virgin? We need a virgin for The Sacrifice."

No, but seriously, I think I've been blacklisted ever since I invited a pair of them in and took them through the Greek text of John 1:1. They haven't come back since....

Tali, sounds like you're doing just right:thumbs:

14. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper
    Expand Collapse

Tali, I think you did just fine.

I personally tell them that I'm as firm in my beliefs, from a Baptist point of view, as they are in theirs, but if they want to come in we can try to convert each other. Haven't had a taker yet!

15. standingfirminChrist

standingfirminChrist
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Scripture is clear we are not to welcome them in our homes if they do not bring the same doctrine that we adhere to.

Those who invite them in, those who encourage others to invite them in, they are disobeying God's Word.

2 John 1:10-11 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

God's Word declares us to be partakers of their evil deeds if we bid them God speed. Interesting, God speed can be translated as a welcome, or as a farewell. Just like aloha means hello or goodbye.

You are partaking of their evil deeds just inviting them into your home.

16. Matt Black

Matt Black
    Expand Collapse

Oh, rubbish!:rolleyes:

17. standingfirminChrist

standingfirminChrist
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Matt,

The Word of God commands us not to invite them into our house and declares one to be partaking of their evil deeds if one bids them God speed.

How can you say rubbish?

18. Matt Black

Matt Black
    Expand Collapse

THe verse you quoted is about false teachers coming into the church and being permitted to preach falsehood; nothing to do with JWs knocking on your door or accosting you in the street. My point concerning your opinion stands: rubbish.

19. standingfirminChrist

standingfirminChrist
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

2 John 1:10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

John knew what a Church was Matt. He made reference to it in his next letter.

3 John 1:6 Which have borne witness of thy charity before the church: whom if thou bring forward on their journey after a godly sort, thou shalt do well:

Had he meant Church, he would have said Church. He said house.

The Greek in 2 John 1 does not even translate as Church

I never said a thing about it being wrong to allow them to knock on your door. One is not faulted for another knocking on a door.

The wrong, as God's Word declares, is inviting them into one's house.

20. Matt Black

Matt Black
    Expand Collapse

On what basis and with what authority do you put forward your interpretation of those verses as being apparently superior to everyone else's here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.