1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you say to the Pastor when....

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by trailblazer, Jan 16, 2005.

1. trailblazer

trailblazer New Member

What do you say to your pastor on the way out the door on a Sunday morning after the service?

[​IMG] Do you just smile an say "Nice sermon!" (This might puff up his ego too much - don't want to do that...

Do you tell him where you thought he erred in his sermon? (That might be your ego!) :eek:

Do you say "Have a nice day!" [​IMG]

Do you apologize for sleeping during the sermon? [​IMG]

Do you say "See you next Sunday, if the Rapture doesn't happen!" [​IMG]

Just curious! :D

2. Christianbsw

Christianbsw New Member

Actually, today I would say "Thank you for your service [to Christian ministry] and following the work of the Holy Spirit."

3. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

I often hear, "Preacher, you really stepped on my toes today!" My standard reply is, "I am so sorry. I was aiming for your heart!"

4. trailblazer

trailblazer New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] A little humor goes a long way! [​IMG] [​IMG]

;)

5. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Here is one you can say when the message is boring, the joke wasn't funny, the illustration did not fit, the alliteration failed, etc, etc.

"Oh, Dear Pastor! What a wonderful Text you chose for today's sermon!"

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

You COULD say, "Hey, wanna go to lunch with us?" [​IMG]

7. Rachel

Rachel New Member

That's a good one! [​IMG] We all should really do that once in a while. We haven't had our new pastor and his family over for dinner or supper yet, but I've been thinking about it. Will have to do that soon. [​IMG]

8. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I'm very close to my pastor so I usually hug him (we are a very huggy church) then tell him "I'll see you tonight!" Sometimes I'll talk to him about how his sermon touched me.

9. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

I tell him he did a good job on his delivery and I could tell the message helped the people. Then I give him a big hug and kiss (after everybody is gone of course!!!) [​IMG]

10. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

I tell him he did a good job on his delivery and I could tell the message helped the people. Then I give him a big hug and kiss (after everybody is gone of course!!!) [​IMG]

11. NateT

NateT Member

I actually never see my pastor after the service, we go out a different door than the one he stands at.

From personal experience, when I've filled the pulpit, I didn't care for the "nice sermon today" because it was the default response of about half the congregation. The meaningful ones were the ones who pointed out something specific in the sermon. (I just always hoped it wasn't the 1st line of the intro and then they fell asleep :D )

I like TaterTot's suggestion the best though!

12. Bro. Ed

Bro. Ed New Member

Tater Tot's sugestion suit me best!

13. Bro. Ed

Bro. Ed New Member

Wish I could spell!

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Bro. Ed, LOL, We allow 15 mins. for you to edit your own posts. (Actually, it's because we ALL make mistakes! ;) )

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Best comment I ever got was from a grandma. She said, "For a fat guy, you don't sweat much."

At least HER comments at the door were honest . . :rolleyes:

16. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry I am laughing at your expense, but that is just plain hilarious.

17. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Most interesting and disturbing I have ever received was----"You know Bro Tony you and Benny Hinn are my favorite preachers". It left me wondering if that person even listened to the message, and making sure there was nothing that would remotely infer that Benny and I are coming from the same place.

Bro Tony

18. DeanPastor

DeanPastor New Member

My favorite is a great story...

After preaching in view of a call one Sunday morning the prospective Pastor was at the door greeting the church folk as they left the service for Sunday lunch. Everyone was very cordial and gracious, yet in the middle of the line was a old lady who when she got the young man, shook his hand, and said "That was the worse example of preaching I have ever heard...you ought to just quit!" Well, as you can imagine he was a little shaken but had to continue to greet the remaining parishioners. He then noticed she had gotten back in line and was coming through again. "My dog howls better than you preach young man!" she quipped and then made her way to the back of the line once more. By this time he was somewhat shaken by the experience but then as she came to him again, the last one in line this time he thought he would head her off. "That is a lovely dress mam...it is just right for lovely lady such as yourself" She replied "Save it Sonny...flattery will not help your sorry excuse for a sermon, again, I say you ought to throw in the towel!" Well you can imagine the young man was very shaken by this time and he went right to one of the deacons to hare his concern. The Deacon met him and said..."Well Brother, what do you think?" He replied "The church is great and the people are very nice, but there was this one lady who came through the line 3 times and said I was without a doubt the worse excuse for a preacher she had ever heard...I mean she said I ought to just quit!" "Was she wearing a pretty flowered dress?" the deacon asked..."Yes she was...a very pretty floral pattern, I even complemented it for her" The deacon replied "Oh brother...don’t you worry friend, you cant pay any attention to what ol sister Bertha says...you see, she lost her mind about 10 years ago and all she does now is just repeats what she hears other people saying"

Now that will bless your heart!

J

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I always say, "Thanks for the message" because I am expressing gratitude for the work and preparation he put into it. Actually, I've never heard a bad sermon from my pastor.

When I am especially impacted by the message, then I'll say something like, "That really hit home," or "the message really encouraged me" depending on how the message affected me.

A few weeks ago, I was unable to get all the stuff written down (I take notes during the message, as many do in my church) and I told the pastor he had said so much that I was going to get the tape of it so I could hear it again. And I did!

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

The funny story reminded me of a story my Pastor told about his early days. He would regularly go to the local nursing home on Sunday afternoons to preach a message for them. He stated that he had a tough time getting one lady to show up. Well one day she did. Half way through the sermon she spoke up in a loud voice (being half deaf) "WHEN'S HE GOING TO SHUT UP?!" :eek:

He laughs about it these days but for a young man just starting out, it must have been devastating!

In HIS service;
    Jim