1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you think about America?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by El_Guero, Aug 30, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

In another thread there was a question about what Americans think about muslims.

(1) Well what do you think about America?

(2) What do you think about Americans?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that America is the greatest country in history.

And being the greatest country in history it also has great people. :)

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Ken

A bunch of those great people have come from Arkansas.

Thanks

Wayne

4. Forever settled in heaven

gt country, gt people, gt heritage.

sadly, misguided foreign policy sometimes leads to a baseball-bat-to-hornet's-nest approach to dissent, which is then spun as essential to the safety of the gt nation.

my hope's that America retrieve what it can of its global bank of goodwill n not listen solely to the shrill cries of its hawks.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

glbl bnk 'f gdwll

Interesting never heard of it.

Thanks!

6. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I think America has been the greatest country in history. We're not perfect. No country is. What concerns me is how most Americans don't cherish our freedom and how few of us exercise our right to vote. Our voting rate is among the lowest of all democratic nations.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I believe the electoral college is outdated and we need a better selection of candidates. But to get this we would have to raise the pay for public office.

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do I think of America ?

Today's America ? Not much at the moment. That is why I eat up stories about old time soldiers who faithfully and loyally, and with all intelligence, slogged it up and slugged it out with the enemy come what may.

I look for old Reader's Digest magazines of the 50's and 60's varieties which unabashedly featured stories of faith and never once cringed to write down the word GOD or the name JESUS in their pages.

I think those were America's finest years and times.

When the Name of God was a hallowed and revered Name and being identified as His child or believer was something a politician or statesman did not cringe from.

When sodomites and lesbians stayed in their closets not because society did not accept them, but because they knew themselves their lifestyles were sinful.

When young people dressed up and looked neat mostly, and being otherwise was the exception rather than the rule.

Sorry, folks, don't mean to disrespect you.

I'm sure there are other "positives" out there, but so far, when I look around, I see deterioration everywhere.

Just bein' honest 'bout today's America.

9. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Great place for rock climbing

Love the mountains

It killed a lot of Indians and took their land

Its a super power

It's a very busy place

Its a super power

Has a lot of debt, crime and white collar curruption

American people are just people, no different from anywhere else.

10. David Michael Harris

I think Rome is the greatest civilisation in history and always will be. When I think of Christianity, Rome comes to mind and not America.

Also, maybe, one of the greatest men is good old Nelson Mandela. Is he a Christian btw!

#10 David Michael Harris, Aug 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2006
  11. Ralph III

Ralph III New Member

Please name any country in history, which has not disparaged in any manner, any other people? Was this the Indians land or God's land? America was a vast wilderness and thus open to settlers. Yes, in many instances the Native Indians lost their lands and this and other things were sad. But many Indians also killed innocent settlers who otherwise were involved with no conflict. However, America and many Americans, also diligently strove to work with and preserve the Native heritage.

They were also introduced to our Lord and Savior Christ. Isn't it a great thing that out of some conflict, a great nation arose to serve as a leader among all nations?

You can be as busy or slow as you choose. I would say generally speaking the South is more relaxed as we do enjoy our fishing, hunting, and outdoor sports.

We may have debt but we also have a huge GNP and strong economy! Which, even in recession, is generally stronger than most nations on earth. Just ask everyone who wants to do business with us.

Crime and corruption is not a problem reserved for America alone friend. There are many other countries who are much worse off than America. Especially in the corruption department. We could do more in these respects however if political correctness and such were not the standard.

Is this the same Rome which used to conquer and enslave all nations and people? The same Rome which accepted and believed in every God except the one true God? The same Rome that outlawed Christianity and made sport of killing Christians?

I do not intend on discrediting Italy as it's beuty and historical aspects is phenomenal. In addition to it's contributions to civilization. But when I think of Christianity and nations I definitely think of America. As we accept Jesus as Lord and the head of the Church, not mother Mary. Though she is special among women.

America is not quite the nation it was even to a few years ago. But it is still the greatest nation among nations. It is still a nation who recognizes, including it's leaders, the Lord as supreme!

God Bless And Guide America!:thumbs:

#11 Ralph III, Aug 31, 2006
  12. David Michael Harris

Well, if I ever met a person in denial lol!

13. Ralph III

Ralph III New Member

In denial? You point out turbulence in America's past while holding up Rome. I then point out Rome's even greater turbulence, yet you say I am in denial? Hmmm.

No, I pretty much agree with pinoybaptist as I stated America is not quite what it used to be! However it is still greater than the rest and hope it returns to it's former glory.

take care. Ralph

God Bless and Guide America!

#13 Ralph III, Aug 31, 2006
  14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Well brother David, I gotta ask if you are in denial?

Do you believe that France sends in the Legion to kill and eradicate opposition and if the Legion fails, then claim plaussible deniability?

Do you believe that France should have gone into Vietnam after WW2 and started the Vietnam War?

Do you believe the Algierians like the French?

Should the French continue to sell arms to the N Koreans? The Iranians?

15. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I love America because it is home.

I think Americans are disillusioned that we are "the best". The best in what subject? The best economy? No. The best health care? Hardly. The best education for our kids? Yeah right.

I think we are a nation of overeaters who are getting fatter by the minute.

I think our foreign policy has some severe flaws that is picking fights when often it is none of our business.

I think parts of our legal system has simply gone mad.

I think its sad that we don't have the attitude or infrastructure to simply ride our bikes safely to school or to work or whatever.

I think we are setting ourselves up to be in a war with China and its starting to look like the outcome for us won't be too good.

I think our ideas about preventing a particular country from taking over another country is hypocritical considering what we did to Mexico to claim the southwest US as our own.

I think Americans as a whole are pretty greedy. I think trade deficits and inflation and 50 other things are a pretty good indication of this.

16. David Michael Harris

Dont know, I am not a politcian, I am a Christian, its the worlds stuff man, I am just replying to posts.

We need to focus more on the Gospel I think.

I am not supporting France or any other Counrty, I live in France, thats about it.

17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

The 50s had their own problems. African-Americans were denied equal treatment and education. They rode in the back of the bus. They could not eat at "Whites Only" restaurants, could not drink from "Whites Only" water fountains, nor swim in "Whites Only" swimming pools. They were effectively denied the vote in many jurisdictions through poll taxes and testing.

Women, despite having shown their value in the workforce during WWII, were pushed back to subservient roles and denied career opportunities afforded men.

Paranoia about Soviet communism led to the shameful McCarthy era and the debacle in Viet Nam.

There are many problems today in America, but I would not want to go back to the 1950s. We are a more fair and just people than we were then. The US is today slipping behind other countries, and I do worry about the future of this great nation that I love. We must reaffirm the values of liberty and justice for all that has been our national ideal, if not always true in practice.

18. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brother David

We can agree on this post.

Wayne

19. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

I am working on a sort of survey of television shows and there offensive elements. Someone once asked me if older shows scored better than newer shows and by and large, no, they do not. Granted, older black and white family shows do not have sexual references, but they more than make up for it in smoking, drinking, and portraying spousal abuse as humor.

20. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

That is so true. As much as I liked "The Honeymooners", it always bothered me when Ralph Kramden would threaten to hit his wife..."To the moon, Alice!"