1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what do you think about gluttony?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by corndogggy, Aug 31, 2006.

1. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever, nevermind, this is pointless. I've found that people who overeat will passionately justify their actions however necessary, even though it could be shortening their lives, making them have health problems, causing them to have a lower quality of life due to decreased mobility, and last but not least... its a significant sin according to the Bible. Apparently none of that is of any value anymore.

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Applying the same rules to gluttony as some apply to alcohol, that first bite of that cheeseburger is a sin...

Up here, one of the things we do to help feed people is our roadkill list. If a moose is hit, the next person on the list is called. No matter what time or what weather conditions, that person is required to come out and butcher the moose. He is required to give half to the next charity on the list, and for his troubles, he gets to keep the other half. We had something like 173 moose hit last year.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

We used to do the same thing in Alabama when someone would run over one of our deacons, but charities quit accepting the donations. :laugh:

(I had a roommate who did some extended mission work in Alaska--I always thought the roadkill thing was an outstanding provision.)

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

No doubt, tough on vehicles, as well, observing that hitting a deer in KY usually totals the vehicle. Ot has happend to both my nephew, and about three friends.
    And a moose is certainly larger than a 'white tail'.

Ed

5. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

I wonder, CornDogggy, if you understand the role of fat in the human body. In the old south, along the coast, malaria and summer fevers caused a lot of deaths. Heavier people had a better survival rate than thin folks. Were those folks sinners for being fat?

Have you considered how the wild animals get fat every fall in order to help make it through the winter? Our ancestors did that too. The difference is that food is plentiful for us all year long. Are we sinners if we put on 20 extra pounds during good times? Were our ancestors sinners for doing the same?

I have read most of your comments here and doubt that your definition of gluttony is actually based on the scriptures. Have you done that word study?

A.F.

6. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This ain't the old south and we're not wild animals. But, at least they have it figured out. They only eat and get fat because they know food will be scarce and otherwise they will die. But, we just eat for the fun of it, and we just keep on eating. Surely you realize that God gave us enough brains to realize that there is currently no reason based off of survival that humans have to gorge themselves... yet we do. There is not a single fat person you can corner and ask them why they are fat and they will tell you "oh, well, I'm glad you asked, these extra 50 pounds are going to get me through the winter, I'll die otherwise." No, unless there's a serious health problem, they're fat because they like to eat too much.

#106 corndogggy, Sep 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2006
  7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

How do you know when either you or someone you see is a glutton? When they have more chins than a hong kong phonebook. :laugh:

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, I take that back. A better sign is if the post office issues you your own zip code.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Hi Saturneptune;
    Good to see you back. I need someone to cover my back.:laugh:

10. FundamentalOnly!

FundamentalOnly! New Member

Eating and drinking too much (of any liquid sort) is sinful.

11. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

So you are a moral relativist? If it is a sin now it was a sin then.

Gluttony is gross excess. Sin is not determined by current medical guidelines. You are sounding puritanical.

A.F.

12. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I fear I may have been a glutton at dinner. After days and days of eating right, we had nachos for dinner and I am stuffed.

13. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem, in my opinion, is that alot, if not most people just skip right over the "after days and days of eating right" part.

As for the "old south" issue, no, I don't really think it was right back then either, it may have actually been worse, but my point was that maybe at least there may have been a reason... but in actuality, I don't think there was. Truth be told, the fat people were more attractive back then. If you were fat, it meant that you could afford to eat a whole bunch and had money, it was a status symbol, women often wanted a fat man because of this. So yes, even then, the fat people were gluttons, and that don't make it right. Now, the current issue is that this issue has taken a twist in that the most unhealthy and fattening foods are often the cheapest, so now all the poor people are getting fat.

#113 corndogggy, Sep 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2006
  14. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

A friend of mine shot a 1,500 pounder last week, and they will demolish a car. (That's one reason they won't let you keep one you hit yourself; they don't want you buying a $300 car just to take out a moose without a license.) That's enough to feed a Baptist covered dish dinner.

And we all know there's never any gluttony going on there...

15. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's quite funny to me... because that is exactly why I started asking people this stuff. I won't go into details, but I attended one of those, and was rather shocked to see a few things at church when gluttony is supposed to be a serious sin.

16. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

Corndogggy: There is no old south "issue." It is a medical fact that folks with some fat on their bodies do better when they are unable to eat due to sickness. As to your assertation that fat was a status symbol: maybe you are talking about a different old south. Maybe you mistake fiction for fact.

Thank you for saying "I think......" That is a good way to be on the Baptist Board. We tend to present our opinions as absolutes here.

You are correct that a lot of cheap foods are fattening. That has been true for a long time.

In my opinion you have wrongly equated fat with gluttony. You have an incorrect definition of gluttony. I also think that a bit of extra weight is a blessing from THE LORD. You equate that blessing with sin because of cultural bias.

Maybe we should ask some Katrina survivors if a little extra weight helps in extreme situations. I think that you have the notion that food shortages are a thing of the past. Well they are a thing of the past. Food shortages are likely also to be a thing of the future.

A.F.

17. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

my thoughts on gluttony

Overeating is still a sin, the Christian is to live a life of moderation. We are a nation in which everything we do revolves around eating. Remember one of the many sins that Sodom was destroyed for was fulness of bread (Eze 16:49).

18. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back during that time, you weren't fat for no reason, especially black folks. If you were fat, it was because you had alot of money. Otherwise, you couldn't afford to eat so much. There is a book that many students had to read that hits on this subject alot, but I can't remember the name of it. Basically it was a black couple and the woman cheats on the man with a fat man, basically for other reason other than him being fat. It was a pretty common thing for the women to want fat men like this.

19. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is also quite amusing, because I've heard this time and time again. Apparently I don't know what gluttony is. Well, when I see a fat guy stuffing his face with 3 trips to the buffet, I can only assume its gluttony. But, since you brought it up, I'd like to ask everybody collectively... what exactly is gluttony? The definition that everybody wants to believe is true is basically "eating a little more and being a little fatter than I am", no matter what that may be.

20. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist