1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you think of the Pulpit Commentary?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by gillianseed, Sep 9, 2005.

1. gillianseed

gillianseed New Member

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I have in my home library over 1,100 volumes of commentaries, most of them on the individual books of the Bible, and therefore I have very many commentaries to compare the Pulpit Commentary with. Although I have owned the Pulpit Commentary for more than 25 years, I seldom use it because it is old and very much out dated and most of the scholars who worked on it were less than top notch scholars. Nonetheless, if you can get it for a small price, it may be worth the money, especially if you are a preacher because the Pulpit Commentary includes thousands of outlines and homilies that can be very helpful in preparing a sermon when one is short of time. The volume on Romans is exceptionally valuable for its theological accuracy.

Note: The Pulpit commentary, brand new, can be purchased for $299.99; or on CD Rom for $74.99.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find/227331309?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=pulpit+commentary&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=11&Go.y=8

By the way,

Welcome to the Baptist Board! [​IMG]

I pray that we will be a blessing to you, and you to us.

[​IMG]

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree... "old and very much out dated".

...with a few nuggets.
    Certainly not worth more than $70.

Rob

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

5. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Even as a pristine "collector's item," it will have no value beyond what has already been mentioned.

Someone said somewhere, "You don't have enough time to read good books; read only the best." And I think the Pulpit Commentary is a very good set of books...

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Older sets of commentaries can be had on CD at good prices by AGES software.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I am not a big fan. I've been offered a set twice for free - both times I've turned it down. You can find better exegesis in cheaper and smaller commentaries. And I believe the presence of the outlines are a reason not to buy it. The preacher can become lazy and use their outlines all the time.