1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what do you think of this?

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by menageriekeeper, Nov 12, 2006.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15640683

Read the full story at the link above.

Are they(Garden Guy) justified in refusing services? Not? Does God care if we Christians do business with sinners?

2. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

What would Jesus do? He met with all sorts of sinners, ate and drank with them, and ministered to them.

These guys have a right to do what they like, but I doubt if God will shield them from the consequences.

That's not the way He does things.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A private business should be able to do business or not do business with whomever they wish.

I would not make the decision that this business did but I defend their right to do so.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

While they rpobably have the right to make the decision they did, I would not have. Think of the witness they could have been. Instead they just reinforced the anti everyone not like me christian stereotype. They missed an oppertunity.

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

They are not being forced to do business with gay people just as the Association of Professional Landscape Designers are not forced to admit them as members.

The threats should be reported - that kind of harrassment is wrong.

6. bubba jimmy

bubba jimmy New Member

Christians can become so misguided sometimes. Do they investigate their clients to make sure they aren't addicted to anything? How about whether they cheat on their spouse? Maybe atheists? "If you sin, we won't do business with you". That's a quick way to go out of business, by the way.

Deciding that I, as a Christian, can't do business with one particular kind of sinner is at the very least odd thinking. Making people untouchables, when Jesus touched the lepers, demonstrates a lack of understanding I think. Jesus said they'd know us by our love.

7. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Though I will also defend their right to "refuse service to anyone" I believe it is unwise. I agree with many of the reasons posted thus far.
    I would like to add this.
    1Co 10:25
    Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake:
    Evidently, it appears that folks were buying meats in the market place which had been used in pagan worship and sacrifice. Paul makes exception only based on conscience. Therefore; if your conscience condemns you for doing business with pagans and your brotehr may stumble at your business choices, then for conscience sake (yours and his) do not do it. But and if not, then there really isn't any Biblical reason to refrain from doing business with the lost would.
    As had been pointed out; what is next? Do your customers practice fornication? Are they living together unmarried? What if they seems ok in most behaviors but they just exceed the speed limit habitually? Where is the line?
    This sin is ok, but THAT (oooh shudder) is definitely not.

At least, that is what I think. If their conscience bothers them to work for Sodomites, then they are not duty bound to do business with them.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Microsoft would agree with you.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If those people had done the work it does mean they endorse the lifestyle.

They should have rejoiced that the sovereign God gave them such a great opportunity to be a witness rather than sow their seed of judgment. They failed to realize that there are homosexuals who have left that lifestyle and become Christians simply because someone shared the gospel with them.

I have done work for years for non-Christians. Some are very well known. My work has opened the door many times for the gospel. There have been plenty of times that people have not listened to me all that much about my God but they appreciate my attitude and honesty with them. Some have become Christians later. As Christians we are to let our light shine in such a way that our works glorify God.

Nobody is reached by people with a self righteous attitude. Christ reached us not by arrogance and judgment but by humility becoming a servant.

I guess there are some who do not believe the Bible when it says, "Indeed, there is not a righteous man on earth who continually does good and who never sins."

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the news article:

"Some people attacked the Farbers’ beliefs, threatened the couple and their five children, and said they ought to be sodomized."

Yes, I agree that these threats should be reported.

11. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

You are talking about threats to the landscapers, right?

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Yes, it is their web-site and the threats mentioned in the article are directed at them.

13. standingfirminChrist

If the terms of the landscaping were to be something that would bring a reproach to the Lord's Body, then I would refuse it. For instance, had the homosexual couple wanted topiary shaped to show two men holding hands or kissing or other... then no!

Whatsoever we do is to be to the glory of God. If the landscaping would cause their work to be put in a gay magazine article (we know the End of the Spear story), would that be pleasing to God? We have to let the Holy Spirit lead in the direction we should go.

If, on the other hand, they were refusing the service because of a hatred for homosecuals, then they were dead wrong. We cannot allow sin to reign in our mortal bodies.

14. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Standing Firm, mostly I agree with you but....

What kinds of doors might be opened by having a firmly Christian company featured in a gay magazine?

15. billwald

billwald New Member

Any private business is justified in refusing service to anyone for any reason. The justification is that theoretically the slaves have been freed. The Supreme Court and case law have specified that a business is a "person."

16. Pete

Pete New Member

Garden Guy should become a member of the Cabbie Crew for a while. A Saturday night shift or two would do it for them...

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    A few short weeks ago, Garden Guy was just a mom-and-pop landscaping business that promoted itself as “making Houston beautiful since 1991” and promised to treat its customers with respect and honesty..........

..........a gay couple requesting bids for a landscaping job at their new house, received a polite — and, well, honest — e-mail from Sabrina Farber, a co-owner of Garden Guy: “I need to tell you that we cannot meet with you because we choose not to work for homosexuals.”

I wouldn't refuse to do business with them, but Garden Guy is within his rights to do so.