1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Do You Think Would Happen If...?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

Just something to consider, does a paid man of God color his truths because he is paid by its recipients? I would certainly hope not, but I'm sure it happens a lot.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Nice job, and nice pulpit to fill, if you can even remotely come close to begin to "fill his shoes." :thumbs:

[Incidentally, this was, I believe, the first and only Pastorate Dr. Ironside ever served in -

(Not too shabby a joint, for someone with an 8th grade education! :thumbsup:),

and I also believe he literally "died with his boots on" and went home to be with the Lord, while on a preaching tour in New Zealand. I have heard, but cannot confirm, that he was actually preaching a message in NZ, when he was stricken.)]

Those definitely are really BIG shoes to even think of filling.

Mister Moody, and others including the late Drs. Dixon & Redpath, and Drs. Sweeting, Wiersbe, and Lutzer either did or do not exactly wear size 6B theological footwear, either, I'd say.

Ed

#22 EdSutton, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008
  3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Probably not much. A church who is trained properly is working anyway.

But the church will be disobedient to God and the Scriptures. A person who preaches the gospel is to live of the gospel. Those who are taught are to share with the one who teaches them. These are biblical issues.

A church's first missionary responsibility is to their pastor.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Amen! And well said, Revmitchell.

{[See! I don't always disagree with you. (Edited to add: ) (Surprised?? Even our computer couldn't take this shock, for it "crashed" just after I added the previous statement, and I had to do all the stuff I know how, just to get it restarted.] :type: :laugh: }

Likewise, I'll add, whether the pastor is paid or not has no effect on his faithfulness to the congregation.

I've known faithful pastors who, as we say here in KY, "never got the first dime" just as I've known some whom I think were relatively well compensated, who at least IMO, were "hirelings" and for whom, even that "first dime" was an huge overpayment. :tear:

BTW, I fully agree that the church has a responsibility to those who "live of the gospel", starting with their own elders! :thumbsup:

Ed

#24 EdSutton, Dec 27, 2008
  5. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

My point here is that many pastors have way overstepped their role, from the wisest sheep in the flock to perceived Sheppard of the flock. If people want to pay a man to do what they as a church are commanded to do then they will have to answer to God for their lack of commitment to the faith.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Wrong on both counts. But the house church movement needs to twist scripture to justify their rebellion.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not ever require or request a specific salary or package. I first determine if this is where God has called me, then I go. I accept what the church provides and rely on God to provide the rest of our needs. so many times those needs get filed in other ways than money.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    NOTE: THIS FORUM IS FOR MEMBERS OF BAPTIST CHURCHES ONLY. We would ask non-Baptists NOT to post here.

"Martin Luther", please go to the many areas for non-Baptists to continue your discussion. Appreciate the good points you are trying to make. But continual breaking of the rules will lead to problems.

9. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

Romans 16:5
    Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Salute my well-beloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:11
    For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

1 Corinthians 16:19
    The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house.

Colossians 4:15
    Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house

#29 Martin Luther, Dec 27, 2008
  10. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

Oh, I am sorry, I have not found a good way to track where I have posted, or what was said. I attend a bible church which is bascially the same. Many docrines within the Baptist denom differ on points. Please let me know which points cross the line and I will be more careful.

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well that explains a lot. Those in the home church movement are in rebellion, hence the problem with God-given authority.

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Wise brother. I wholly agree with you. I think that a church can meet their pastorĀ“s needs without necessarily paying him money. This is especially true in other cultures. God will always provide for us where He sends us. I have experienced this personally myself.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

They are against holding services in a church building (geography) against pastoral authority and the preaching of the word. The whole movement is of the uttmost immaturity.

14. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

1. Sometimes the congregation assumes the pastor does everything if he is paid. That is just not the case. The congregation needs to be about their Father's business.

2. Sometimes the pay brings about a false sense of "power" and "authority".

3. Whether or not the pastor gets paid, the sheep are sometimes pretty dumb. I am not sure what would step it up for the sheep.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is an excuse not a belief

And what would that be?

Or just lost

16. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

I'll second that.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is not a matter of which posts cross the line. This forum is for Baptists only. Your profile states that you are not a Baptist. We expect you to abide by the rules that you agreed to when you registered with the Baptist Board.

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

There ought to be some good biblical reason... :thumbs:

19. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

Define what makes one a Baptist. My doctrine is Baptist, that is why I am here in the first place. The name on the church I attend is meaningless. I have spent my life in Baptist churches; I have spent four years of my life at a BAPTIST college. Just because I differ on one or two points does not mean anything. My doctrinal statement looks just like yours, so what gives? Many old Baptist doctrines are different than new ones, I hold to those older views, does that mean I am not a Baptist?

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Do you attend a Baptist church?