1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been enjoying Philip Comfort's book :Essential Guide To Bible Versions.The following is not something new to those who follow this subject -- but could provoke (in a good sense of the word) a lively discussion.

The Nestle-Atland edition is a far better representation of the original text than is the TR or the Majority Text.This does not mean,however,that those who read the TR and/or KJV are receiving a "different gospel" or a different theology than what is found in the Nestle-Atland text. What it does mean is that they are reading a text that -- for the most part -- was not read in the first three centuries of the church. They are reading a text that is heavily edited with interpolations and harmonizations,and they are reading a text that is somewhat misrepresentative in Christology.(Pages 155,156)

2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I probably prefer the NASB as my first choice, but I also like often use the KJV, and NKJV. IMO that description sounds a little snobby. I remember hearing once that if you wrote down the things that could actually be called different between the major translations it would only amount to about one half of a page, and none of those differences would effect theology. So I think these types of puffed up comparisons from either side of the view is not really beneficial.

#2 Steven2006, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2009
  3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Ray Comfort Ph.D. is an established, conservative Bible scholar.He's not talking off the top of his head -- he knows whereof he speaks.I don't think it's beneficial to regard his study as "puffed up comparisons".Stick around and glean some information from folks who have a lot more knowledge about the subject.Feel free to disagree but at least give a listen to what they are saying.

4. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Don't get yourself worked up, I never said nor implied he didn't know what he was talking about, nor questioned it. But I think that wording you posted sounded snobby and I said so. Your OP title asked what we thought, and I answered that question. That was my impression of what I read. You shouldn't ask if you are going to be easily upset by answers.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not "easily upset by answers".I just thought your answer was intemperate.

6. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Hardly, it was pretty mild. It seems you didn't really want to people to give an honest answer to your question. I guess I will bow out of this thread.