1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what do you want to be called?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Tom Bryant, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Since my church is Reformed Baptist, I by obligation am an adherent of Reformed Theology, which includes facets of Calvinism. I have no particular problem with being referred to as a Calvinist, but I don't think that this sums up by beliefs in entirety.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't mind being called a Baptist, but that certainly doesn't convey what my entire beliefs are.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Likewise a good comment, Rippon.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right on. :thumbs:

5. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Christian for me will do.

Someone called me a trophy of grace when I first got saved, then I fell flat on my face, so sinner saved ( and I guess being saved ) by grace will do to. :)

6. MrJim

MrJim New Member

Yeah, biggest reason I left the Reformed Baptists is they were the most arrogant [offensive language deleted] around~you make my case nicely.

#26 MrJim, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2009
  7. rbell

rbell Active Member

um, is profanity really necessary?

8. David Michael Harris

Yeah, that was a bit undisciplined, even if we ALL know what you mean, in a lot milder sense.

Offensive language removed from quote

**Moderator note: Offensive language will NOT be tolerated on this board**

#28 David Michael Harris, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2009
  9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think we all agree that one-word descriptions are not comprehensive, since we all have some variations that can't be neatly summarized.

It reminds me of a brother who was teaching us how to present the gospel to the lost. He counseled us not to ask someone if they were a Christian, because Christian means different things to different people. If they said yes, then where do you go from there?

So we had to devise other ways to determine someone's spiritual condition.

But, that said, the one-word descriptions to provide some information to the questioner.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Very true.

11. MrJim

MrJim New Member

:laugh: I run with a rather suspicious, cynical & sarcastic crowd; it spills over now 'n then:tonofbricks:

12. David Michael Harris

I know, it can rub off on you.

Bad company corrupts character, something I seem to be still leaning.

13. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

It kinda bothers me that it bothers you that I claim to be and do not mind being known as a Christian and do not want to be known as a follower of anyone but Jesus Christ.

But that is OK, I still enjoy and get blessings from believing the whole Bible and not just certain parts.

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

John, I have no objections at all to your calling yourself a Christian, and wanting to be known as a follower of Christ.

The context of my post was the heat of debate or discussion. Imagine a discussion over Calvinism, and one of them says, "well, I'm a Biblicist." There is no other way to take that remark than that my brother is saying that he believes the Bible and I don't. It is a clear putdown.

Once a group of us was discussing Calvinism, and one of our group had no clue what we were talking about. He said, "I don't know anything about that. I'm just a Christian." I took no offense at that remark because he meant none.

It bothers me that during a discussion that such a remark as "Well, I'm just a Christian" is aimed at jabbing me or putting me down.

See the difference?

15. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Tom, I do see the difference. What bothers me is the folks that think if I am not Arminiest then I must be Calvinist when in fact I am niether. What I do understand is that the truth that is in both beliefs were true looooonnnnng before these mere men came along.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always answer "I'm a five-point biblicist". Fun to watch the expressions ;)

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Then try to imaginine the reaction when i describe myself as a "right-wing, redneck, deep-water Baptist."

18. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grace Christian. That would be the best definition IMO. While not shying from the term "Calvinist" I feel uncomfortable having a person's name attached to what i believed. Moreover there are things Calvin believed that I don't, being Baptist.

I understand that many might think "Grace Christian" is too general - don't all Christians believe in grace? - yet, rightly understood, that is the man difference. Having thought a lot on this one question I decided that grace - sovereign grace, not the denatured alternative - was the one deciding, essential difference.

19. AnotherBaptist

AnotherBaptist New Member

Calvminian. :laugh:

20. Victorious

Victorious Member

I call myself a "Spurgeonist" because I hold more to his views that are Calvinistic. A label only identifies you as someone who interprets scripture a certain way.

As far as I'm concerned you can call me anything, but first call me "Christian."