1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you wish you would have learned?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Pastor_Bob, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As pastors, we often face situations for which we were not properly prepared. No institution can prepare her students for every possible scenario but, perhaps we can do better to offer a more practical education for those entering the ministry.

Is there a certain area or a specific issue that you wish you had been better prepared to handle?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great Question!

I would have wanted more courses in finances and business procedures. Tennessee Temple did an excellent job in preparing me Biblically but I was unprepared for working on budgets, aplying to a bank for a bldg loan, etc.

I think another issue would have been supervising staff.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

More about counseling and biblical Hebrew.

I did both in seminary but not enough. I see a need for both if I'm going to be a more competent pastor. I focused more on Greek in seminary.

#3 TCGreek, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2008
  4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that Temple did a great job in preparing us Biblically. In retrospect, though, I am amazed that we didn't have to take a class in Baptist history and/or polity to graduate! That would have been a real help to me.

Another area that would have helped me is a class in church planting. But that's probably my own fault, not the fault of the school. Maybe I should have majored in missions instead of Bible.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

The administrative aspects of pastoral ministry.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Conflict resolution - had seminars in Bible college, but still doesn't quite prepare you.

More Biblical languages - you can never get enough. Took languages at both Bible college and seminary level, but still, you can't take enough.

More training in pastoral care - had plenty and had experience, but again, you never get enough.

Sound training in pastoral leadership - There is much of this that's going on, but not a lot is practical, Biblical, and authentic.

All men of God should learn a skill or have a diploma/major/degree where they can be bivocational.

7. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

How to shoot lasers out of my eyes...that would be really helpful during a deacons meeting!:laugh:

I think more emphasis on counseling. It really is scary that you may do more of that than anything else (next to preaching) and it is the one subject that most seminaries only require one class to be taken in.