What Do Your Clothes Say About You?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Squire Robertsson, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

A few years back, a pastor wrote a pamphlet on clothing. I posted the the main points of it on the Missions Forum back in 2001. At the time, it only existed in paper form. As you can see from the link, WDYSAY is now available on the web for your edification and enjoyment.

[ July 22, 2003, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Squire Robertsson ]

2. Johnv

Johnv
    Expand Collapse

My clothes tell people that I know what an Iron is. [​IMG]

Seriously, my clothes tell people I'm neat, respectful of my body, and always looking for something on sale ;) .

3. KrispyKritter

KrispyKritter
    Expand Collapse

My clothes tell people that I am laid back... approachable...

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Here are the Main Points from 2001.
    Pastor Innes laid out his "Biblical principles" equally mind you for both men and women thusly:</font>
    • The Clothing worn must be modest.</font>
    • The Clothing worn must be unmstakably masculine\feminine.</font>
    • The Clothing worn must meet the test of separation from the world.</font>
    • A man's\woman's clothing and deportment must delight the heart of God.</font>
    • A man's clothing and deportment must indicate an unmistakable submission to God's authority.</font>
    • A woman's clothing and deportment should give outward indication of submission to the authority of the man.</font>

5. Alcott

Alcott
    Expand Collapse

6. mozier

mozier
    Expand Collapse

My clothes tell people two things:

1. This man is a "GQ man." [​IMG]

2. This man is dressed by his wife :rolleyes:

mozier

7. donnA

donnA
    Expand Collapse

LOL [​IMG]

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia
    Expand Collapse

Could someone, in all seriousness, tell me what outfit would fit this description? Unmistakable submission? Any man can wear a suit and tie. Any man can wear slacks and vest.

An apron? A maternity top? Shackels?

Diane

9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer
    Expand Collapse

Could someone, in all seriousness, tell me what outfit would fit this description? Unmistakable submission? Any man can wear a suit and tie. Any man can wear slacks and vest. </font>[/QUOTE]Perhaps a t-shirt with the latest "Jesus" slogan?

An apron? A maternity top? Shackels?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Perhaps a dog collar attached to a leash that the man holds? ;) [​IMG] :eek:

10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer
    Expand Collapse

In the last few years, short hair (or even a shaved head) has been stylish for men. So what does it say to both believers and nonbelievers today when a man wears his hair short?

Absolutely nothing.

Since our culture does not understand that long hair on a woman signifies that she is under authority, then a woman who has long hair is not clearly conveying that message.

Since she is not communicating a message to our culture with either short or long hair, then this teaching on “Christian” hairstyles is nothing more than imposing 1st century standards on 21st century women for no other reason than to satisfy the legalists in the church.

According to this author, our appearance is not supposed to “get lost in the crowd’, yet our clothing should not call “attention to itself”.

That seems like an impossible contradiction.

They say that I like cotton and natural fibers, yet hate starch. (It irritates my skin.)

They say that I generally prefer solid colors, have a strange preference for black, violet, blue and green in shirts and a tireless devotion to casual slacks – especially khakis and black.

They say that I am hard to fit because of my size (my shirts are XXL with size 20 neck and 38 sleeve) and I have expensive taste in clothes to boot. I prefer to have higher quality “classic look” clothes that last a long time than a bunch of clothes from Walmart that will only last me 6 months.

They also say that I care little about designer labels, but I often buy designer stuff off the clearance racks when I can tell that the clothes are of high quality and will fit well.

Is God pleased with my clothes?

Probably. They are of good quality and I shopped wisely for them.

Is God as fixated about clothes as the writer of this pamphlet?

I sincerely doubt it.

11. David Mark

David Mark
    Expand Collapse

Sweet smelling fabric softener for those inevitable hugs at church.

Dave [​IMG]

12. Johnv

Johnv
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG] I think that's a marital requirement, isn't it? When I was married, my wife bought most of my clothes. She was better at it than me. Nuthin' wrong widdat.

13. Johnv

Johnv
    Expand Collapse

These points put a bit too much emphasis on clothes, methinks. Rather than the "Pastor Innes" method, I prefer the "Jesus" method: Do not worry about what you will wear.

14. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Okay, folks, I tried to offer something that was from my viewpoint rather objective in its presentation. While some of the comments above show some thought, others seem intent on ridiculing the matter. FYI, the writter wrote the pamphlet not for widespread distribution. (this is problably the first time its readership has extended beyond Northern California.) but for purposes of stating his (Your Mileage May Vary) position on the topic. People ask questions. They deserve answers. And when you are dealing with folks that do not come from a culturally "Christian" background, sometimes you have to lay matters out more clearly than when you're dealing folks from the buckle of the Bible belt.

15. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker
    Expand Collapse

I look like a wife and mother. Modest, conservative, classy, unpretentious, wholesome, friendly, polite, approachable, I look like the kind of person who would know where the laundry soap is in a super market. I look like I say please and thank you and teach my children to do the same.

16. Artimaeus

Artimaeus
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, I like the thought behind all of these ideas, I am just trying to look at them from a practical standpoint.

Agree with the concept but "unmstakably" is not possible. Have you seen what they wear in those Biblical epics? Also, I have a UK sweatshirt that I honestly don't know whether it is my wife's or mine.

Again, not possible. I can see that it shouldn't look like you have joined the other side but some things are neutral.

A righteous goal, but getting that sort of feedback isn't likely.

"unmistakable"? How? I can see it being evidence of nonrebellion. Again, some are neutral.

Again, I can see not showing rebellion by publicly going against him but, I just can't understand how it can be done that ALL she wears SHOWS submission.

17. go2church

go2church
    Expand Collapse

I like jeans and boots. The absolute last thing I worry about when I meet someone is what they are wearing. Who cares! Get over the whole my clothes make me more Godly then you thing. What a giant waste of time :rolleyes:

18. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome
    Expand Collapse

Squire! I absolutely loved that article! Thank you so much for sharing. It spoke right to my heart and really, in a good spirit, tells folks why what we wear is important. I would love to reprint that in my newsletter . . . do you know this gentleman personally?

Julia

19. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome
    Expand Collapse

Hmmmm . . . I missed that part of the article! Could you please cut and paste it here so that I can read it for myself?

Julia

20. donnA

donnA
    Expand Collapse

Hmmmm . . . I missed that part of the article! Could you please cut and paste it here so that I can read it for myself?

Julia
    </font>[/QUOTE]I don't know if it's in the article or not, but I have found it's the general attitude of those who dwell on clothing, such as wearing dresses or pants.
    Except for you Julia, your pretty nice about it. But all the dresses only ladies are not like you.