1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Do Your Clothes Say About You?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Squire Robertsson, Jul 22, 2003.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Not ME Dina! I wear tennis shoes when I mop the floor! I slipped once and thought I'd broken something!

Good replies both of you!
    Diane

2. Xingyi Warrior

Xingyi Warrior New Member

I think that this also depends on the person. My ex fiance Natalie sported a 35-D bra size and let me tell you that is was difficult for her not to "stand out" if you know what I mean. A t-shirt or a sweater that would be perfectly permissible for many women would be immediately transformed into sensuous attire due to her dimensions. She was a good Christian and it was difficult for her to dress modestly in some regards and maintain tastefulness in her attire. And going to the pool - forget it!

3. Dina

Dina New Member

I go barefoot and walk VERY carefully. Tennis shoes left prints on the floor that were harder to get rid of then bare feetie prints. :D

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Xingyi Warrior, I don't have that problem (or blessing??)
    [​IMG]
    Diane

5. Elijah

Elijah New Member

How should a minister dress? Should he wear a tie? A suit? A high dollar pair of shoes to distinguish himself from the rest of the congregation? Let us look to the bible for inspiration on this matter in the person of John the baptist in Matthew 3:4" And Jonh himself was clothed in camel's hair, with a leather belt around his waist; and his food was locusts and wild honey."

John was hardly a sharp dresser, yet he was one of the greatest preachers in all the bible.
    My thought on this is that John was so committed to doing the work of the Lord, and to proclaiming the coming ministry of Christ, that worldly things like fashion didnt even enter into the picture. Oh the things we get sidetracked on.
    How would we judge John the baptist if he were to walk into one of our baptist churches today, by the words from his mouth, or by the tie (or lack of) around his neck? :rolleyes:

6. bensaved

bensaved New Member

Let me recommend a great message on clothing. Very balanced, very biblical, very fair.

The Language of the Chrisitans Clothing

This is by Bro. S.M Davis of Park Meadows Baptist Church. He is a blessing.

7. Brett

Brett New Member

An old skeptics quote, somewhat paraphrased, works well here: why would God, infinite in His wisdom, give us a brain and then have His followers forgo its use?

The Bible commands us to dress modestly. Common sense tells us to dress modestly. Surely we don't need to pay for an audiotape to figure this out.

8. John Alden

John Alden New Member

My clothes say this guy sure likes to be comfortable. (if they could talk that is)

9. Wygal

Wygal New Member

My clothing usually says that I'm not fixated on styles or brands, and like to be comfortable, practical, and thrifty with my husband's hard-earned money. They also usually will say that you don't have to feel uncomfortable around me, if you're not dressed 'just so', because I really won't care, as long as you are decent and modest. Also, they say to the poor person, or the one who is standing on the street corner needing help, that I'm not a snobby, better-than-thou person who is too good to stop and help. I cannot understand this fixation. Never in my wildest imagination, could I see any of the disciples or Jesus, worrying and fussing about their clothing, or what color they'd wear, or where they were going to find a cloth maker to get another set of robes because their's weren't as nice as the Pharisee's, or were a little worn, and that they had to look just right. I just don't get it.

10. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

2. The WAY clothes are worn make them more unmistakably masculine or feminine than the clothes themselves do. When my youngest daughter was in high school, she declared "Friday tie day" and, being the leader that she is, at least half the school and most the staff joined in for at least a year. It was a lot of fun. The girls wore ties, too, and, believe me, they did not look masculine for it!

Avril Lavigne definitely doesn't!!

5. Clothing cannot indicate submission! Handcuffs, maybe, or a chain? It is attitude and words that indicate who one is and who one submits to.

Well, her veil would certainly indicate submission... [​IMG]

11. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Originally posted by Squire Robertsson:
    Here are the Main Points from 2001.
    Pastor Innes laid out his "Biblical principles" equally mind you for both men and women thusly:</font>
    • The Clothing worn must be modest.

• OK, I know a church whose standards say never go shirtless even at work, collars must be to the throat, sleeves to the wrist, pants cuffs to the ankle, and skirt hems to mid-calf, plus no open-toed or open-backed shoes.
      </font>[*]The Clothing worn must be unmistakably masculine\feminine.

OK, that church requires dresses for women.

</font>[*]The Clothing worn must meet the test of separation from the world.

The men are required to wear broad-brimmed black hats, straight-cut suits, and dark hose and shoes. Other churches require high-collared vests, hook-and-eye closure for coats and vests, button-closed broadfall trousers, and button-tab suspenders. Patterned fabrics and jewelry and ties are forbidden.

The women are required to wear dark bonnets, one-piece dresses with sewn-in belts and matching capes, and low-heeled shoes. Makeup, jewelry are forbidden. Some churches also require a white apron.

</font>[*]A woman's clothing and deportment should give outward indication of submission to the authority of the man.

The church to which I've been referring requires a white headship veiling be worn at all times.</font>
    How's that?

[edited for easier reading]

[ August 20, 2003, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Squire Robertsson ]

12. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I'm pretty lucky in that I don't have to dress up for my job. The uniform of the day requires only shorts, shirt and flip flops. I usually look like I just stepped into Captain Tony's to get out of the heat.

At the moment, my clothes say that I just had to dive into the water to clear a fouled prop.

13. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

My clothes say, "Sue, I sure hope this new diet works...we're tired of being stretched!" :rolleyes:

14. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Umm, I'm not sure what my clothes say about me other than,

I love floral prints, I like big comfortable clothes that don't show my form. (only God knows what size I really wear :D ).

I try to fit that area, but i'm sorry to say, I wear pants. Sometimes I find them more modest than Skirts. Imagine a gust of wind coming up behind you and raising your skirt :eek: This happened last semester at college. I was soooooo ashamed. I never went back unless I was wearing Pants. [​IMG] . I have my girls wear pants cause i know that little boys like to look up the skirts of little girls :rolleyes: ...

JMHO
    God Bless

15. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

Clothes say alot when you have a stranger come up to you and say "You must be a Christian. I can tell by the way you dress." This has happened several times to me. Great article, Squire. Hard to call dressing for the Lord legalism when it's not of the flesh. I read that article and saw too much Biblical support to the conclusions he stated for it to be coming from the flesh, or the sinful side of people.

16. Gib

Gib Active Member

I saw a man standing in line at Ryans waiting to get a tray and a drink. He was dashing. Pressed Dockers, penny loafers, tweed sport coat and tie. He looked like Jesse Duplantis. There were a couple of ladies in front of him, yammering along. One turned to him and said, "are you a preacher?" He chuckled and said he gets that all the time. She said, "well, what do you do?" He was a co-owner of a sports club. A golfers retreat, with resturant and bar. :eek: [​IMG]

17. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Yep, I've stood in line at Ryans in slacks and a colorful top near women in dresses and heels and heard them talk sexual filth. Clothes do NOT make the Christian.

.......For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. Matthew 6:5b

38 Then He said to them in His teaching, "Beware of the scribes, who desire to go around in long robes, love greetings in the marketplaces, 39 the best seats in the synagogues, and the best places at feasts, 40 who devour widows' houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. These will receive greater condemnation." Mark 12:38-40

2 For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. 3 Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. 4 Who are you to judge another's servant? Romans 14:2-4

18. Eyes on Jesus

Eyes on Jesus Member

For all the churches who have more respect to those who dress according to there standards, ie; women in dresses/ men in pants, and how you treat those who come in to your church, and you have more respect to those who dress as you do, you are SINNING, James ch 2:9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors. Keep your eyes on things in heaven, not on the things of the earth.

I can't even do dishes in the IFB church I attend, because I don't wear a dress!!