1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does 1 Corinthians Verses 6,7,14,15 mean??????

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Dec 13, 2007.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

1CO 11:6 For if the woman be not covered (veiled), let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame (sin) for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.(veiled)

1CO 11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover (veil) his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

1CO 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame (sin) unto him?

1CO 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: For her hair is given her for a covering (natural veil).

2. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

1 Corinthians 11
    1Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
    2Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
    3But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
    4Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
    5But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
    6For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
    7For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
    8For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
    9Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
    10For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
    11Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
    12For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.
    13Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
    14Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
    15But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
    16But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Hmmmm, I wonder why there are so many IFs in these passages?

3. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

"If" is a conditional term. The implied opposite is also true.

If it is a shame for a woman to have her head shaved, then she ought to keep it covered or veiled.

If it's not a shame for a woman to have her head shaved, then it doesn't matter if she keeps it covered or not.

In the culture in which the 1st century Corinthians lived, a woman with a shaved head was asssumed to be sexually immoral. It would be a shame for a Christian woman to be thought of as sexually immoral. In that culture, a veil or covering on a woman's head indicated that she was under the authority of her husband. Christian women are supposed to submit to the authority of their husbands (Eph 5:22).

Proper dress was an indication of proper conduct, just as it is today.

4. skypair

skypair Active Member

Here's a note to let you know what the world knows about this verse...

When the Germans were pushed out of Paris, all the female "consorts" with Nazis had their hair shaved off!

Long hair on a man? In God's eyes -- "girly man!"

skypair

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm going to play devil's advocate here because I've heard a lot from both sides - and I'm thinking that I won't necessarily hear the other side here - AND some of it are good arguments. LOL!

Here's one argument:

The hair is not the covering because it says in verse 6 "if a woman is not covered then let her hair be cut". So why would you cut your cover if it's not covered? Wouldn't this be a separate cover?

Also, as for the argument that it was for that time - they say that the rest of the verses around it still apply today so why doesn't this?

6. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

I'm not unwilling to have my mind changed on this particular issue. Like you, I've heard some good points from both perspectives. Maybe context will help give a better picture.

1Co 11:2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

Paul starts by praising them for things they were doing well.

1Co 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

There seems to have been an issue regarding God's "chain of command" with reference to husbands and wives.

1Co 11:4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

A man with his head covered dishonors his head, or the One in authority over him.
    You know, even today it's considered poor etiquette for a man to wear a hat in the assembly...a point for the "opposition", perhaps?

1Co 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

I guess this would have taken place while the women were separate from the men, otherwise it would have violated 1 Tim 2:12 and others.

1Co 11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

And this brings us back to what I see as the conditional nature of the instruction. Thoughts?

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

My personal belief is that verse 16 is the pertinant verse in this passage:

16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

"We ain't got no such rule, but if'n you want to believe this way, feel free". 1 menageriekeeperparaphrase of 11:16

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think you have the context covered :)

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is that from the new MKPB? That's easy for me to read. Maybe I'll become MKPBO :laugh:

10. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Well you know Webdog, I like havin' my scripture translated into my own dialect. Seems like I'm gettin' 'round to translatin' a good bit. :D

11. Joe

Joe New Member

The bible does not forbid men having long hair. They are not girly men.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Correct. I wouldn't be so quick to call Samson a "girly man"...well...maybe a "ladies man" :)

13. Joe

Joe New Member

Maybe we ought to let our hair grow :D

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Been there, done that. My mullet will stay in the '80's where it belongs... :)

15. Joe

Joe New Member

I wish I could have seen that! I had long hair too, far past the 80's

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No you don't :laugh:

The mullet motto:

"all business up front...party in the back"

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Really? What does this verse mean?

1 Corinthians 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So, nazarites for life (John the Baptist, Samuel) were openly disobedient against God?

19. Joe

Joe New Member

You highlighted only the last part of the question. Not even nature doth teach that men cannot have long hair.

King David's son Absalom was a handsome man in all Israel: he cut his hair only once a year. (2 Samuel 14:25)

#19 Joe, Dec 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2007
  20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are contradicting the Word.
    Rephrased, Paul is saying:
    Can't you see that even nature teaches you that it is a shame for a man to have long hair!!
    He phrased it as a rhetorical question for emphasis, to show what a shame it is for men to have long hair.