1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does a personal relationship with God mean?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Oct 9, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I don't know, but I think that the term "personal relationship" is used a bit inflationary among christians. When do I have a personal relationship with God? What does this include? I think when christians say personal relationship they simply mean praying to God but praying is a one-sided monologue, what exactly is personal about this?
    I don't know anything personal about God. Every atheist who reads the bible knows the same things about God as me. Personal means knowing something which others don't know. I don't know anything which others don't know. So many christians advertise for God and make it look soooo easy.

"Oh, you just have to open your heart and then you can know God."

Oh really? They make it look so easy, but it's not easy at all. They make it look like God is only waiting to be able to share stuff with you. If it is so easy then why doesn't he share stuff with me? But how should he even share stuff with me? He doesn't talk, right? This makes it a bit complicated to share stuff with me.
    Somehow I'm so sick and disillusioned with this whole "get to know God" stuff. A few years ago I still thought that somehow one day I will get this great mystical breakthrough and then suddenly everything will be fine. I'll suddenly hear God and everything will be better. But now I think that this was just wishful thinking. Or when I posted at other forums in the past some charismatics would tell me stuff like "Oh God's waiting for you, he wants to talk to you" and I took this seriously and felt guilty because since I didn't hear anything I must be doing something wrong and then I thought I have to seek harder and try to "spend" more time with God but the more I tried the more frustrated and burnt out I got. And now I'm simply sick of it. I cannot hear these "You can know God" phrases anymore. What does "know" even mean to them? Do they mean know in the sense of "I know Sylvester Stallone"? Sure, I know him. I have seen his movies. But do I actually know him? Of course not.
    And just a few minutes ago I was watching some guy on the God Channel talking the same ol' stuff about knowing God and this made me so angry. They make it look so easy. As if all you had to do is call God's number and then he picks up the phone. :rolleyes:
    I'm simply so sick and tired of trying to "seek" God. Trying in a totally clumsy way to talk to God. It only burns you out and frustrates you when you want something but don't know how to get it. Sooner or later you simply give up and I think this is where I am. I simply don't have the patience and the strength to start another odyssey of trying to "find" God and to get in touch with him. A few years ago I would have used every chance to go to a christian event or to go to church expecting to get a sign from God or expecting something great to happen but not anymore. I'm so sick of these events where christians are promised to receive something. The promise of healing or the promise of getting anointed. :mad:
    All this stuff repels me. What is all of this good for? Going to church or going to house meetings when you don't gain anything from it? I don't want to simply live a "christian lifestyle" which is only about social activities which have become a routine. Simply going to church because it has become a routine or simply going to a house meeting because it's a routine. If God isn't in it then what's this good for? Then it's not good for anything! Then I can as well stay at home.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You need some good Christian counseling. If you don't know what a personal relationship with Christ is...you most likely don't have one. Find a good Bible based Church and have a long talk with the pastor.

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

if you have a personal relationship with someone, you spend alot of time trying to get to know them, right? You know things they like, etc. A personal relationship with God to me isnt some charismatic experience, its daily trying to know my Father more, by reading His word and watching Him work - Not in miraculous ways usually.

The Psalmist understood this desire to know God and see Him work, as did Isaiah, Jeremiah and a host of others. Read as they pour out their hearts in pursuit to know Him. He will show You who He is.

We also see the image of sheep in the NT, and the sheep knowing the shepherd's voice. That comes from time spent with the shepherd. I admit, sometimes I have wondered if I was correctly hearing His voice too. But over time and a continued pursuit of Him, you will know.

Blessings as you seek,

~Tater

4. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

1 Samuel 1:27-28 "I prayed for this boy, and since the LORD gave me what I asked Him for, I now give the boy to the LORD. For as long as he lives, he is given to the LORD."

Let's all pray. :1_grouphug:

Amen.

5. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

I'm going to side with the OP on this one. Show me in scripture this doctrine of a "personal relationship with God"

6. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

There is no doctrine regarding "a personal relationship with God." But I have one. He loved me enough to send His Son to provide a way for me to join Him for eternity. I feel so sorry that you have not found the faith to accept Him and His promise "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:" Ephesians 2:8.

It really can be simple, if your God is omnipotent.

You remain in prayers for your soul.

7. gekko

gekko New Member

its a divine revelation

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Here's one that speaks to a personal relationship.

John 10:27
    My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me

Christ also talks about those who he didn't know at all, which tells us that there are those who he does know.

Matthew 7:23
    And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

I'm siding with Webdog on this one. If you don't know what a personal relationship with Christ is, then you don't have one.

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I think most people who tell me they have a 'personal relationship' with God really mean they follow the leading of their flesh and think God is OK with it.

1 John 2:3-5
    3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
    4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
    5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

If you want to know Him, keep His words.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That exact phrase "personal relationship with God" is not found in Scripture, but a personal relationship IS found. Start with Ephesians 1 and count how many time "in Christ" is found. You will get a dozen within the first 12 verses. I don't know how someone can be "in Christ" without having a personal relationship with Him.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

X, try reading these verses:
    Matt 6:31-34
    Matt 10-30
    Romans 5:8
    Sounds pretty personal to me.
    James, I don't understand why someone would think that having a personal relationship with God means living in flesh and pretending it's ok with Him. Living in the flesh is in opposition to the Spirit and breaks fellowship with God. What kind of Christian would say this? :confused:

12. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

A carnal Christian. I hear it all the time when we go out on the street witnessing on Friday nights. "I have Jesus in my heart" and I'm taking Him into the bar with me.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does that make him a carnal Christian?

14. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

If they are a believer it does. I've been backslidden. I know what sins a believer is capable of. I'll not assume someone is unsaved just because they are living a life of sin. Now if you are implying that it is OK for believers to go to the bar, well I guess you must have a personal relationship with God ;)

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Under who's premise...yours?
    Me too :tear:
    Me too. :tear:
    You have yet to show that walking into a bar is sin. Drunkeness is sin. Lust is sin. Both can be a result of being in a bar, but going into a bar is not a sin. There is a local "bar" ministry. According to your rules, they are carnal.
    While I recognize your jest, would you call me a carnal Christian by going to the local sports bar with friends watching a football game?

16. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I would say that a believer has no business fellowshipping with the world in a bar watching lascivious cheerleaders and beer comercials while drinking alcohol.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your legalism is duly noted...

18. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Is going to the bar what you makes one a carnal Christian or giving the bar lifestyle a place above God that makes one carnal? I'm not trying to split hairs here. I just think we need to be careful about making a blanket statements like going to a bar is sin or backsliding. I think I understand what you're saying though, James.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You left off...

Gal 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
    Gal 5:17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.
    Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
    Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,
    Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,
    Gal 5:21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.