1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does being seperate mean?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Emily25069, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

"Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you."

What exactly does this mean?

Because I think different people have different ideas of what this actually means.

Amish folk take a very literal look at this passage, and they are very very seperate from the world.

Whereas some baptist churches I have been to just try to focus on living a clean life as sinless as possible.

But.. still, even living a clean life doesnt really make one actually seperate. Most christian folks I know still get their news from worldly sources, still send their kids to public schools, etc.

I myself do not feel very seperate. I seem to have a pretty normal life, despite the fact that while I go through my normal day of bringing up kids, Im also trying to teach my children Godliness and biblical principles. (though, at ages 4,3, and 1 that doesnt look like much)

We go to church 3 times a week, and that makes us look a little nutty Im sure.

But is it really seperate?

My brain is just struggling to figure out exactly what that means.

And what is the unclean thing? Is that referring to unclean meats and such?

2. messagetotheplain

messagetotheplain New Member

I think what God is saying is be different from the world. I am planning on becoming a missionary to Amish people so I have read a lot about them and have talked with many born again Christians who are former Amish and they have it wrong.. God wants us to be separate spiritually from the world. He doesn't want us to move away from the world or not come in contact with the world.. This would go against Jesus command to make disciples of all nations.

A good example is I work in a call center with 20 people on my sales team. Out of the 20 more then half claim to be Christians. I say claim to because more then half of those have had babies before being married and continue to live with these men and still are not married. They also go out ever Saturday to the clubs and drink. They curse and act like they live for themselves. I am no where near perfect but I act differently then they do and every person knows on my team I am a follower of Christ and I don't do those things. They also know if they are looking for Godly advise or what the bible says they come to me. I am separate from the world and those that are of this world know I am different. Another example is before accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior I was a drug addict and dealer. Every friend I had since childhood was an addict and none of them believe in God. After I became a follower of Christ I gave up all my friends and would not meet them in person only talk on the phone. When they asked why we couldn't hang out, I told them everything you stand for I am against and everything I live for you are against. There was and is nothing we have in common anymore. I still talk to them once a year via email but we are too different. Even my best friend said to me, " I don't believe in God but I can't explain what has happened to you, all I know is something happened and you are different. Being separate means you are not like the world. This doesn't mean we have to be like the Amish and not drive cars. God want our desires and what we live for to be different. That includes giving up some worldly things. I only watch Hockey on TV nothing else.

My wife is a stay at home mom so I understand sometimes it may be hard for you to see you are separate from the world because if you are like my wife you are home most of the time. Being in the work force or should I say (easy work) make you be around people of this world. It is easier to see the difference when you a Godly and are around the Ungodly it becomes more clear.

Unclean things is referring to sin. If the Jews touched an unclean thing they had to purify themselves for a time before coming to God or the temple, or even the city is some cases. God wants us avoid those things that are sinful and be different then those that partake in sin.

In avoiding sin and living Godly lives we are separating ourselves from this world.

This is what I think it means and this is probability the biggest question I will have to deal with in my ministry among the Amish. This is quotes in almost all their church services.

3. MichelleinPA

MichelleinPA Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It simply means that we are to be different from the world. Now granted, the Amish take that too far, and some people don't take it far enough.

How separate? I would say, spend time seeking God about it.

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In 2 Cor 6:17, Paul appears to be quoting the OT to support his point at the beginning of verse 14 "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers". This verse has many interpretations for its context including marriage, business relations and people of influence.

The closest OT verse to verse 17 is Isaiah 52:11.

"Depart ye, depart ye, go ye out from thence, touch no unclean thing; go ye out of the midst of her; be ye clean, that bear the vessels of the LORD."

This verse in Isaiah appears to be about Zion/Jerusalem/God's chosen people rising up and being purified by God's redemption and telling them to stay pure as a witness for God to the nations.

5. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

What does it mean to commit gluttony? I often wonder that about myself as I'm prone to eating and eating and eating. Sometimes I tell myself that by enjoying the food there's a redeeming quality to my behavior so I'm not sinning. Other times I feel guilty. Who's to say where to draw the line on some things? Wherever the line is for gluttony, separation, etc. it most definitely is a personal line.

6. KJVkid

KJVkid New Member

What does it mean to commit gluttony? I often wonder that about myself as I'm prone to eating and eating and eating. Sometimes I tell myself that by enjoying the food there's a redeeming quality to my behavior so I'm not sinning. Other times I feel guilty. Who's to say where to draw the line on some things? Wherever the line is for gluttony, separation, etc. it most definitely is a personal line.

I believe I read this some where else..........Jdg 17:6 In those days [there was] no king in Israel, [but] every man did [that which was] right in his own eyes.

7. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Ok... so what is the exact caloric intake biblically? While you're at it, a divine scale indexing body mass would also be appreciated.

8. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

So by quoting the above Scripture (Judges 17:6) are you implying that the answer to Ivon's question is that we need a human king (because that is what the passage is talking about) to rule over us and to tell us what is right and what is wrong?

#8 Bible-boy, Jan 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2008