1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Does Filled With the Spirit Feel Like?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Tom Butler, Aug 14, 2012.

1. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

I agree, being full of the Holy Spirit is accomplished at once at the moment of salvation...it's an ongoing characteristic of a Christian.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

A believer who is full of the Spirit is one who walks according to the Spirit. We are told not to suppress the Spirit...and the person who doesn't is full of the Sprit. Different than indwelling (all believers post pentecost) and filling (supernatural empowerment given to fulfil God's purposes).

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Matthew 10:19 But when they arrest you, do
    not worry about what to say or
    how to say it. At that time you
    will be given what to say,

The above text is a perfect example of being filled by the Spirit. Notice it is at a particular time (at that time) for a particular purpose (you will be given what to say). Clearly this is not an automatic occurrence daily in the life of the believer as is being confused on this thread.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. I suppose I wasn't clear enough with my answer. I'm on the road this weak and just knocked out a scripture reference without explaining it.

I don't actually agree with most of the positions presented in this thread, especially your assertion that everyone is perpetually full of the Spirit from the moment of conversion. (Please correct me if I have misunderstood your position!) I was trying to point out that there was a distinction between those who were full of the Spirit and those who were not even in the early days of the church.

Being "full of the Spirit" is a distinction of someone who is made significant progress in spiritual transformation through obedience to Christ's commands. Obviously, not every Christian is full of the Spirit or that wouldn't be used as a criteria for selection here.

Being filled with the Spirit, or full of the Spirit, is not actually empowerment for ministry in my understanding of these matters, but a certain degree of Christ-like character that allows God to more effectively use you in ministry and wield the power of the Spirit (often through the spiritual gifts) in a constructive and effective manner.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the indwelling of the Holy Spirit ALL of us have. as He takes up residence in us at time of rebirth by God...

the Infilling/fulness of the Sp[rit is when the christian submits to Him to empower/guide/enable us to live as we should for jesus...

he grants us His fruit, and gives us the power to libve as we ought to, to be bold witnesses, live in tough situations

basically, when filled/full of the Holy Spirit, the Christian will "mirrow Chrsit" to unsaved!