1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does 'FUNDAMENTALISM" mean to you?

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by MRCoon, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Excellent posts JoJ.

I don't see a problem with setting more restrictive practices during a period of discipline, especially when it serves a purpose and the discipline is voluntary. The problem comes with how we approach those who do not wish to follow those restrictive practices.

Excellent perspective.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see a problem with setting more restrictive practices during a period of discipline, especially when it serves a purpose and the discipline is voluntary. The problem comes with how we approach those who do not wish to follow those restrictive practices.

Excellent perspective.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Thank you kindly for the compliments! (Insert bowing Asian smiley here.) [​IMG]

3. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

POB - I know many hyperfundamentalists personally, and rest assured, you do not fit into their category!

quoted by bapmom:
    "So for me, Fundamentalism has never been about the people within it. Its always been about keeping to the Bible."
    I can not really state my own opinion better than this!
    [​IMG]

4. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

5. mima

mima New Member

This thread has caused me to look again at my beliefs. Certainly I always considered myself to be a fundamentalist. And I have always recognized that I have been much affected in my beliefs by Dr. Rice.And because of my interest being almost solely concerned with soulwinning. This statement "earnestly contending for the faith," made by JOJ has jerked me upright. While I'm a member of a Southern Baptist Church and actually welcomed as a speaker in other churches. I know I'll always be a fundamentalist at heart. Why? Because I want to earnestly contend for the faith.(Being involved in soulwinning).

6. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

AMEN!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad I got you thinking, mima.

Let me clarify a little. By "contending for the faith," I don't think Jude meant and I don't mean piddling little issues like we see often here on the BB. I agree with mima that this can mean soul-winning, but I believe it further means standing up for the key doctrines of the faith against liberalism and against other false doctrines which concern the faith. Anyone who isn't willing to stand up for what they believe and pay the price of persecution (sometimes from other believers) is not a Fundamentalist, in my book.