1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does it mean to be a 'soldier for Christ'?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Jun 13, 2008.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um, going by ANY passage in the Bible, what does it matter who "chose" first? I don't see how it's relevant. The main thing is that we are soldiers, period, and that's what we should remember, not who picked whom first. The emphasis is that we are SOLDIERS.

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

It's not really a debate, but a commentary and a request for people to realize it would be a better thing to move to the heart of the real question behind this than spend time worrying over the way the wind sways a leaf from a shoot that came off the branch of the question. If it works, then I shall be quite pleased. If it doesn't, it will be everyone else's time and not mine that is spent worrying about it. I'll just do my nails instead. [​IMG]

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

If indeed it does not matter then why did you say this in post #13?
    If you can't say it that way, as you said above, it must matter to you in some way.

4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Nice :)

So..anyway lets get back to soldier and war. Are we to view this as a war or not?

I posted these verses a few pages back..

How does these verse relate to the war if you will. :)

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm not sure how you're relating "he who is not with me is against me" to this conversation. The situation there in Luke is that Jesus is casting out demons. He is doing it through the power of God. The question arose in people's mind that others had cast out demons. Christ assures them that he is casting out demons through the power of God, not the power of anyone else, and that even if others could and did and were casting out demons, and not doing it through the power of God, it wasn't a God thing. It didn't mean they were good, even if casting out demons was good. How does this apply to us? Easy enough. If you do something and do it without giving God the glory or do it apart from God, it is not of God and not only that, goes against Him. It can't be counted for righteousness or for good.

Then there is the passage concerning friendship with the world as enmity with God.
    I can certainly see this as relating to the spiritual battle we fight within ourselves. It comes right after the admonition that there are people who are praying for things in a selfish way. They are not praying for these things for their own comfort and gain rather than for Godly purposes. He shows how wars and fightings and selfish prayers aren't from God and aren't profitable to them, then, pointing out not only the physical immorality around them but the spiritual immorality in themselves that has them seeking after the things of the god of this world rather than God the Creator, tells them that they can't HAVE both. They can't have the things of God by doing it the worlds way, and they can't have the things of God if those things aren't of God.

So yeah, I'd have to say this does appear to be speaking of spiritual warfare and can be used along with it, but to use those verses standing alone for the entire topic might not be wise. The verses that speak of it more plainly, such as the one we discussed earlier, should be spoken of the the tie that binds the concept together shown.

Dat be my opinion on those two verses. :)

Certainly.

6. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To my Sister in Christ:
    Romans 10:13: For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    14: How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?
    and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
    15: And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
    16: But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
    17: So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

THIS is what makes me a soldier of the Cross....not just my personal battles, but the battles of Christ's disciples that Paul discusses with the church at Ephesus in these verses:

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
    11: Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
    12:
    For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
    13: Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
    14: Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
    15: And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
    16: Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
    17: And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
    18: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
    19: And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
    20: For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
    21: But that ye also may know my affairs, and how I do, Tychicus, a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, shall make known to you all things:
    22: Whom I have sent unto you for the same purpose, that ye might know our affairs, and that he might comfort your hearts.

I am a soldier of the Cross because it is His commandment.

Debbie Mc