1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What does it mean when people say that Catholics...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HungryInherit, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

More like 65!

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I believe the Eternal Security of the Elect is Scriptural, however, I believe there is a sense in which Salvation is a lifelong process. Not that we earn anything but that we walk as He walked {1 John 2:6}.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon here we can see the Romish orwellian concept of double-think in action.

The Church of Rome says:

1.) The mass is an unbloody sacrifice.
    2.) During the mass, the wine is transubstantiated into the actual blood of Christ at consecration.

They cannot both be true.

http://www.newspeakdictionary.com/ns-dict.html

HankD

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Baptists would say that we are already justified by god, and as a result, we start the life long process of sauctification into image of christ, while catholics stae we co operate on life long sauctification process in order to merit beingjustiifed in the end by God!

literally, exact opposites of each other!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    how about the fact that this "mass" violates hebrews, that the sacrifice of jesus a "once and for all", and that it was completed in full?

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats easy for the Church of Rome. They will tell you that the mass is simply an extension in time of what happened on Calvary almost 2000 years ago.

It's a one time event just continuing on in time.

You know, its like the overweight guy who says "but I ony eat one meal a day (all-day)".

The scripture never stopped romish heresy in the past. Don't expect the Catholic hierarchy to start listening now.

But pray for you Catholic laymen friends that are held in a powerful bondage.

2 Timothy 2
    24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
    25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
    26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

HankD

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

All the posts are excellent. However, I think the main reason people say the RCC crucifies Christ over and over again is the same reason that the C of C and SDA crucify multiple times, that is, because all three believe you can slip in and out of salvation. That is in addition to believing that baptism is required for salvation, worshipping on Saturday, pray to saints and for dead people, etc, these three groups are cults.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, catholics are NOT sure that they are even saved, as they MUST have 'enough" grace points thru the sacraments to merit God in the end saving them, so they would be just lost until very end before God!

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

True. The Catholic doctrine teaches works-based salvation, though many, if not most, Catholics (at least in the U.S.) don't buy into it and trust Christ by faith alone.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say that a remnant of the saved of the lord are within even RCC, as salvation os of the lord, but definiteltly NOT most/many trusting in christ and His work alone, as they would still look to the water baptism, the Eucherist, the sacraments etc as saving their souls!

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The way I like to explain it is that God saves Catholics despite their church.

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

I know a lot of Catholics, and very few of them look to these things for salvation. They consider it ritual, and nothing more.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    then they would no longer be considered catholics, and so would be time to come out of that church and find a good baptist one!

again, MOST catholics would be staying faithful to "mother church:", and upholding rosery/Eucheriest/water baptism etc!

15. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

I was just reading about this very topic and came across this bluntly named website. It pretty clearly spells out their doctrine and anathemas on the Protestant & Baptist/Biblical views. I selected a quote about a quarter down the page. I doubt the majority of Catholics have really delved into the nuances of doctrine in their church, of course, the same could be said for most churches unfortunately. It certainly does seem like a funny contradiction to say "unbloody sacrifice" and then say the wine becomes the real blood. Of course, according to the Council of Trent only the RCC can "interpret" their own writings so while we may see contradiction they'd say it's not and they'd defacto be right, because they can't err. :/

http://www.thecounciloftrent.com/ch22.htm
    "ON THE SACRIFICE OF THE MASS

CANONS

CANON I.--If any one saith, that in the mass a true and proper sacriflce is not offered to God; or, that to be offered is nothing else but that Christ is given us to eat; let him be anathema.
    CANON II.--If any one saith, that by those words, Do this for the commemoration of me (Luke xxii. 19), Christ did not institute the apostles priests; or, did not ordain that they, and other priests should offer His own body and blood; let him be anathema.

CANON III.--If any one saith, that the sacrifice of the mass is only a sacrifice of praise and of thanksgiving; or, that it is a bare commemoration of the sacrifice consummated on the cross, but not a propitiatory sacrifice; or, that it profits him only who receives; and that it ought not to be offered for the living and the dead for sins, pains, satisfactions, and other necessities; let him be anathema."

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    catholic aplologists often try to redefine what their church actually teaches in almosty every doctrine/dogma, but most of it is still VERY unbiblical!