1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What does it take for the Holy Spirit to live inside a person?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Samuels, Jul 29, 2016.

1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

So let's see a believer must speak with tongues to be confirmed with having the Holy Spirt, hmm not what Paul said.

1 Corinthians 12:
    1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

Concerning spiritual gifts let's look and not be ignorant Paul said,

2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.

3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

So there are diversities of of gifts but the Same Spirit that is every believer will not have the same gift or gifts as another.

5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
    6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
    7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

To one believer may be the word of wisdom, to another the word of knowledge,
    9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

To another Faith that is faith to trust God in all things, to another the gift of healing when it was still valid was given,

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

To another when miracles were still valid they would work miracles,
    another was able to discern spirits and another diversity of languages, and another had the ability to interpret languages.

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

All toghether they work in one the selfsame spirit

12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

The church as body is one.

13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit
    One Spirit Baptizes us all into the one Body,

But then Paul went further and made it very clear, that many of those temporary gifts would cease,
    1 Corinthians 13:
    8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

Love for the brethren will never fail but prophecies will fail that is they will come to an end, that is new revelation from God would cease at some point. and tongues would cease when prophecy ceased and so too would knowledge to write new revelation and scripture,
    9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

Paul said they knew in part and prophesied in part
    10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
    But when that which was complete is come then all the things in part would cease. So what was He referring to here? That which is complete has come, well Christ completed our salvation but if it were Christ would Paul have not said when He is complete has come, yet he clearly did not use a personal pronoun. So what do we have today that is complete and contains all prophecy and all the knowledge we need as Paul stated that which would be completed would do, is it not scripture. Don't we have a complete canon of Scripture. Wasn't it completed with those last books we have in scripture. So Prophecy has ceased and with tongues have ceased, healing by laying on hands has ceased so too has new knowledge for scripture.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Paul stated when he was a child he did childish things, thus stating that those temporary gifts were like childish things and should be put away when we became mature believers who had a completed canon of scripture. So no not every believer who is Filled and Baptized with the Spirit would have spoken in tongues Paul makes that ral clear to the carnal Christians in Corinth.

What will abide when those ceased?

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Faith. Hope and Love. These abide today for all believers.

2. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Ephesian 5:18 Paul commands us to be filled with the Spirit, in Fact he makes the comparison to not be drunk with wine that controlled by sin but be under the control and influence (filling) of the Holy Spirit. The filling of the Spirit is commanded for all believers but Ephesians 5:18 the Christian Way of Life we must practice being filled or else we are as believers controlled by sin.

Ephesians 3:
    18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
    19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
    20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,

how are believers filled with all the fullness of God when we know the Love of God then God's power works in us, until we are filled we don't have the power of God. Guess what the moment you were saved you had the power of God in you and you did exactly what Acts 1:8 stated, 8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
    We have that Power to witness the moment we are saved, but what happens the first time we sin after salvation, the power of our witness stopped until we confess our sin and become filled yet again.

As for the indwelling we see 1 Corinthians 6:What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

The Holy Spirit is in the Belivers, for we are His Temple,

Then Paul continuied,
    17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

Those joined to the Lord by Faith are one Spirit,

18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.

Notice Pauls says FLEE fornication thus belivers can be guilty of fornication

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Our bodies are the Temple and we are not our own but

20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

The Price for all our sin was paid thus OSAS applies right here.

Paul warns us 1 Corinthians 3:If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Any believer that continues to defile the temple of God that is his or her body God will destroy and how , by turning them over to satan for destruction of the body. Scripture is very clear, the warning for believers who go back into continual sin is very clear, God will destroy your body for you have continued to defile that temple. Will He destrory the believer for one sin, if it goes unconffesed yes, but one sin always leads to another and another until it is confessed, then all sin is forgiven even unrighteousness which is sin you may not realize you committed.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ALL believers in jesus have been grafted into spiritual union in Jesus and His Church, that is baptism of the Holy Spirit, and ALL also are commanded to be filled with the Spirit, so Paul says all are commanded to do such by God, but you say only the few can really do that?

Whatever the experience might be, Paul assumes that ALL who believe unto jesus now have it!

• Winner Winner x 3
  4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What sin is the one that keeps a person lost in their sins though?

UNBELIEF!

No truely saved christian ever goes to unbelief, for their new nature and the Holy Spirit within them cannot allow that to happen!

5. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry that you went to all that trouble in post 62.

Unfortunately, you have yet to understand that
    most (by far) members of the NT churches
    were baptized with the Holy Spirit
    with the evidence of speaking in tongues
    !
    (Please note: this is not the super
    spiritual "power" gift of 1 Cor 12).

Pause ... to let this sink in.

So, Paul was encouraging everyone to have this experience
    ... to be filled to overflowing with the Holy Spirit.

And then, we have this business of subsequent re-filling.

#65 Samuels, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Sorry you didn't read what Paul told the Believers at Corinth. Not all will speak in tongues. In fact the entire gift of Tongues would cease it was temporary and had ended just as prophecy has ended. There is no longer a need for the gift of Tongues in the New Testament church today, 1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
    If you have no love for the brethren then speaking in tongues is totally useless

Let me reiterate again these verses:
    8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
    10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

The things that were temporary until the canon was completed are done away that includes tongues, healing other than through prayer, prophecy and knowledge to write prophecy. Until believers understand that they cannot fully love for they place the importance on the temporal gift rather than upon charity and love.

If one has no idea what they are saying Paul says it fuels their EGO but edifies no man,
    1 Cortinthians 14:
    9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air. They feel good about themselves and puff themselves up but 1 Corinthians 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. Tongues are unfruitful if you have no understanding of what is said or done if they do nothing to edify the church they are unfrutful and since the Bible has been completed then the gift that were in part have been done away including the unknown languages.

#66 revmwc, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  7. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So riddle me this...

How many sins are the breaking point? Is it one, two, twenty five? What # of sins does it take for God to loosen His grip on His ppl?

8. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is true in 2 ways:
    1) not all receive the baptism with the Holy Spirit,
    which is confirmed by at least a few words in tongues
    2) not all receive the spiritual power gift of tongues,
    which is merely 1 of the 9 gifts in 1 Cor 12

Please note the 3 main uses of tongues:
    1) confirmation of being baptized with the Holy Spirit
    2) in church, to give a message from the Lord,
    which must be interpreted (or there's a problem)
    3) in private life, to pray or to praise

9. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Most believers continue to sin.
    These continual sins may be washed away by the precious blood of Jesus through continual sincere repentance.
    Actually, at some point, all of one's sins should be
    overcome through this method of repentance!

This is one of the items that must be overcome -- our sins.
    I can think of 2 others: the world and Satan.

10. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So do you consider yourself to have reached this happy sinless situation?

11. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never so stated in Scripture.
    'Tongues' were a sign to unbelievers (1 Corinthians 14:22), specifically for Jews. 'With men of other tongues and other lips I will speak to this people, but for all that they will not hear Me.' This was the fulfilment of a prophecy from Isaiah 28:11-12, a last warning to the Jews to listen to God when they heard His word spoken in a foreign language. As predicted, they didn't heed it, and disaster came upon them in AD 70. After that, 'tongues' had fulfilled its purpose and disappeared.
    Better by far to pray to God and praise Him in a language you understand rather than gobbledegook (1 Corinthians 14:14-15).

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean the same Apostle who saw tongues as least among the gifts, and whose theology was that ONLY the Holy Spirit decides who gets what gifts, so tongues not for all even then?

And you do realise that much of Acts and early Epistles were in a unique setting, as the completed canon was still being written down, and so for that transistion phase, the Lord had Gifts operate for a time?

13. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, but I sincerely repent when I know I have sinned.
    The correct heart attitude towards God is of #1 importance.
    Please note:
    Habitual (i.e. unrepentant) sinners certainly do NOT have
    a heart attitude that is acceptable to God.
    At the very least ...
    sincere repentance shows God that you are trying!

14. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Tongues is the Holy Spirit using Tom's vocal cords
    to pray to God for Tom.
    (The NT says we don't know how we should pray,
    but the Holy Spirit does it for us!)

God has always desired a mutual co-operation
    between Himself and man ... in pretty much
    everything (except creation, etc.).
    This includes salvation.

Salvation is not just God's grace.
    This is Satan's gospel.
    Man has to co-operate with the sanctification process.

15. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oh, are there still "completed canon" guys around?
    Don't you realize that most of the old dead denominations
    have come to realize "that which is perfect" does NOT
    refer to the canon ... but to the coming of Jesus!
    Hey, we're in the 21st century, guy!

16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You do not understand salvation at all.
    A works gospel is a false Gospel.
    You do not speak in tongues.
    You do not pray in tongues.
    Those foolish rhyming noises are not tongues......they are foolish noises made by a deceived person.......Rondo moshiki Como mo soko......= nonsense!

17. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

1 Timothy 1
    5But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.

Nothing in the job description about salvation first and prioritizing on saving my own rear.

A Christian does not weigh the command of God and ponder will his command give me anything or salvation?

18. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Do you realize your saying Jesus was referrd to as a "that" instead of Paul clearly stating when the Lord returns, wait Paul said it clearly, 1 Thessalonians 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
    God will bring with him,
    1 Corinthians 15:23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
    Paul says clearly at His coming but notice 1 Corinthians 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
    Paul doesn't say at his coming then that which is in part will cease no he clearly says when "that which" refer to a thing rather than a person. Now let's look further the word in the Greek
    Mounce has it as this "de hotan ho tellios" or but when what is complete comes again very clear not a person but a thing. Then we see from scripture4all interlinear the word for part in wthat which is in part, is "merous" meaning "of part" or "of installment" that is those things that were given as an installment until that or whichever thing is perfect or complete is come then the in part things will cease to exist. That would be what Paul clearly listed as an installment,
    1 Corinthians 13:
    Those installments which would end upon that or whichever or what is complete are these: Prophecies, tongues, knowledge, because they knew in part and prophesied in part, in other words something was coming that would provide full knowledge and perfect prophecy and that of course would be the completed canon.

19. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are taking a flying leap in applying 'tongues' to Romans 8:26. That verse speaks of 'groanings that cannot be uttered.' 'Tongues' are incoherent, but they are not groanings and they are uttered.
    Those who have been saved know better. They cry, 'Salvation belongs to our God who sits upon the throne and to the Lamb' (Revelation 7:10). We are indeed to 'Work out [our] salvation with fear and trembling.....' but we are only able to do that because '.......it is God who works in [us] to will and to do of His good pleasure' (Philippians 2:12-13).
    I think you'll find it is.
    Indeed it is. Satan loves to engender false pride in mankind by making people believe that they are responsible for their own salvation. The truth is different. Just read Ephesians 2:8-10 and Titus 3:3-7.
    To be sure, someone who is saved will live a different life to that which he led before, but woe betide him if he is so proud as to ascribe that change to his own righteousness! 'I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live but Christ dwells in me; and the life that I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes by the law, the Christ died in vain' (Galatians 2:20-21).

20. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You do not understand:
    = the NT church at all
    = that the NT church is God's plan for His people
    = that we should be living like the NT church did
    = a whole lot of spiritual Truths, obviously!