1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does "Palestine" Mean?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Ps104_33, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Here is some interesting info.

It has never been the name of a nation or state. It is a geographical term, used to designate the region at those times in history when there is no nation or state there.

The word itself derives from "Peleshet", a name that appears frequently in the Bible and has come into English as "Philistine". The Philistines were mediterranean people originating from Asia Minor and Greek localities. They reached the southern coast of Israel in several waves. One group arrived in the pre-patriarchal period and settled south of Beersheba in Gerar where they came into conflict with Abraham, Isaac and Ishmael. Another group, coming from Crete after being repulsed from an attempted invasion of Egypt by Rameses III in 1194 BCE, seized the southern coastal area, where they founded five settlements (Gaza, Ascalon, Ashdod, Ekron and Gat). In the Persian and Greek periods, foreign settlers - chiefly from the Mediterranean islands - overran the Philistine districts. From the time of Herodotus, Greeks called the eastern coast of the Mediterranean "Syria Palaestina".

The Philistines were not Arabs nor even Semites, they were most closely related to the Greeks. They did not speak Arabic. They had no connection, ethnic, linguistic or historical with Arabia or Arabs. The name "Falastin" that Arabs today use for "Palestine" is not an Arabic name. It is the Arab pronunciation of the Greco-Roman "Palastina"; which is derived from the Plesheth, (root palash) was a general term meaning rolling or migratory. This referred to the Philistine's invasion and conquest of the coast from the sea.

The use of the term "Palestinian" for an Arab ethnic group is a modern political creation which has no basis in fact - and had never had any international or academic credibility before 1967.

SOURCE

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ps104, I agree with your source. I researched the word for another debate.

The Philistines came from the Aegean Sea islands and were Greek-like peoples. Pottery shards confirm who these people were. When the Greeks reached Israel, the recognized these people from the Aegean Sea and called them by the Greek word that gives English language the word Palestine. When Rome destroyed Israel in 70 AD, they renamed the area after the Greek word for the Philistines. The Romans hated Jews and wanted to wipe the name Israel from the face of the earth.

More likely than not, if any Philistines survived the Roman destruction of 70 AD, they would have been wiped out by the Arabs as they swept the middle east until the Turks took over. When the Turks fell in World War I, the British had a mandate that they could not enforce. They were to let Jews into Israel and let them arm.

To me the British empire ended at this point because British word of honor had no meaning, as Chamberlain proved.

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Yes, I would almost think that the American Indian has more of a gripe than the so called "Palestinians".
    The identity "Arab Palestinian" was never even ever considered until 1967 Six Day War.

"Yes, the existence of a separate Palestinian
    identity serves only tactical purposes. The
    founding of a Palestinian state is a new tool
    in the continuing battle against Israel ..."

-- Zuheir Muhsin, late Military Department head
    of the PLO and member of its Executive
    Council, Dutch daily Trouw, March 1977

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and I seem to be the only ones interested in this subject at the moment. And we agree. There never were very many Arabs in Israel until the British let them in.

I am against a Palestinian state. I think that Gaza and part of the Bank are too small to be a nation. Also, I think that Europe is too broke to be able to afford to prop up another Arab state until the end of time.

I think that the Arabs in Gaza and the Bank should sell out and move to other Arab nations in the Arab League, which stretches from Iraq to Morocco. If they do not want to sell out, then I think that Gaza should go back to Egypt and the Bank remain 100% under Israeli control.