1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does the Bible say about women & girls wearing pants?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Linda64, Dec 25, 2005.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It amazes me that 32 said wearing pants is sin and only 11 said no. Why aren't the 32 posting in this discussion?

2. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

webdog,

The two answers offered in the poll dont make alot of sense. It is hard to tell what people are trying to say as they attempt to answer.

Bro Tony

3. LorrieAB

LorrieAB New Member

Thank you Brother Mark! I've been waiting for this to come up as I'm the only woman that wares a head covering (though the church I came from in Delta Junction all the women did) yet few ware pants which I do. You are right on about the symbology of the covering. It amazes me how many if you ask will tell you that a man is not to pray/be in church with a hat on yet they will ignore the verses RIGHT next to it with the same usage of the word dishonoreth! One woman that used to ware head covering but quit (per her husband's request oddly enough for as you said, he said she was not being submisive) gave me an artical she'd read saying that the woman's covering was the father till she got married then it was her husband (so what does and unmarried woman who's father is dead do?). They are not THE covering, but THE head we are dishonoring if not covered!

4. LorrieAB

LorrieAB New Member

BTW robycop3 as I live in Alaska, I can speak a bit to that and tell you that you'd be surprised how many women up here do ware dresses even in winter BRRRRRRR!

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Absolutely nothing.

6. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

webdog:
    Did you read the questions at all? The YES is NOT saying that for women to wear pants is a sin--what it is saying is this:
    Yes - The Bible never says to women, 'Thou shalt not wear pants.' There is nothing in that question about sin. So where does observation come from? Maybe you are reading something into the question that isn't there?

No - That would be wearing clothing which pertaineth to a man. (Deut. 22:5) Voting NO , says you agree that the Bible does not permit a woman to wear pants because she would be wearing something that "pertaineth to a man"

A simple YES or No to the question: What does the Bible say about women & girls wearing pants? is all that is required. Do you agree or disagree?

Yes--women can wear pants
    No--women cannot wear pants because they would be wearing something that pertaineth to a man.

7. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Bro Tony--

Read what I posted to webdog--those questions do make sense. It's pretty basic--Yes, women & girls can wear pants because the Bible does not specifically say they can't. No, women & girls cannot wear pants because then they would be wearing something that pertaineth to a man (Deut. 22:5)

8. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Linda -

Thank you for the clarification. That is what I thought was your point, then I read webdog and went back and was confused. I thought I had answered it the way I wanted and the poll and found out I had. LOL----could this be the beginning of old age setting in.

Bro Tony

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Did Deborah sin against God when she went to war?

Joseph Botwinick
    </font>[/QUOTE]Did Joseph sin when he wore the ornamental jewelry of Egypt?

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Absolutely nothing. </font>[/QUOTE]Better re-read your Bible. "Pants" are not mentioned, verbatim, but exposing the female thigh IS expressly condemned, which pants EXPRESSLY expose on women, and we should know that MEN are aroused by exposed female thighs.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

At best, you might have a case for condemning shorts. Since full length pants cover a woman's thigh, you have no scriptural leg to stand on.
    A man being aroused is the man's sin and the man's sin alone. A man who blames his lack of self control on a woman's attire is guilty of two sins: fornication of the heart, and not taking responsibility for his actions.

12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

At best, you might have a case for condemning shorts. Since full length pants cover a woman's thigh, you have no scriptural leg to stand on.
    A man being aroused is the man's sin and the man's sin alone. A man who blames his lack of self control on a woman's attire is guilty of two sins: fornication of the heart, and not taking responsibility for his actions.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Maybe in your finite little mind, but according to Proverbs the "sin" is on the behalf of the woman for alluring the unsuspecting into her lair.

13. Salamander

Salamander New Member

and if you think men aren't aroused by tight fitting jeans, well, you need to be a man.

14. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Salamander...relax your tone a little (please). It isn't good to "speak" to someone as you have just done.

Having said that, I agree with your position - to a certain extent. There are pants, and there are "painted-on" tight pants. There's a big difference. Modesty is the key.

Please take a step back from your last two posts to Johnv. People are allowed to disagree, and still not get insulting toward each other.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I would rather be 100% responsible for my own sin in my finite mind than be guilty of legalism in yours.
    I'm not so aroused. Why? Because I have eyes only for my wife, and don't look lustfully at other women. That's what a REAL man does.
    You're 100% correct. Modesty is commanded of all believers, male and female alike. I'm sure you'll agree that the presence or absence of pants does not define modesty.

16. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

And someone doesn't think that the same man that gets aroused by tight-fitting jeans on a woman, wouldn't get aroused by her in a tight-fitting dress???????

17. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Originally posted by Salamander:
    Better re-read your Bible. "Pants" are not mentioned, verbatim, but exposing the female thigh IS expressly condemned, which pants EXPRESSLY expose on women, and we should know that MEN are aroused by exposed female thighs.

Please give me scripture for this please. We can also reverse that too---men in tight-fitting jeans can arouse a woman. Think about that one!!

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's it, Linda64, I'm wearing a kilt from now on :eek:

19. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Johnv said:
    "You're 100% correct. Modesty is commanded of all believers, male and female alike. I'm sure you'll agree that the presence or absence of pants does not define modesty."

Christians should be "modest" in their dress--both male and female---therefore, tight-fitting apparel should be the farthest thing from the mind of a Christian. Born again believers are to honor the Lord in all aspects of their lives.

Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit. Despise not prophesyings. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-22)

20. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

John--that is just too funny [​IMG] Bring on the kilt!!!