1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does the preacher wear on Sunday?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by padredurand, Dec 16, 2004.

?
  1. Suit w/ shirt and tie

70.2%
  2. Sport coat w/ tie and shirt

19.3%
  3. business casual (dockers etc.)

8.8%
  4. comfortable real clothes that may include denim or flannel

1.8%
  5. preaching robe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Well in my case, it would be me. I vote for real clothes.

[getting on a soapbox]

I pastor in a farming community, and folks come to church from the fields or milk parlor in what ever they have on, especially true for the Saturday meetings. I'd look plumb silly in a three piece suit. It would probably make the congregation feel like I was putting them down. I tell everybody, if you ain't naked, come on, it will be all right, and I sincerely mean that.

The coat and tie deal can be a real turn off in poor communities as well. If 90% of the church is showing up dressed to the 9s, and there are a poor about who can't dress to the 9s, they aint likely to show up. For good bad or indifferent, that is human nature.

Oh, an last time I looked the Bible said my rightousness was as filthy rags, so, if my own righteousness was pretty much a waste of time, I dont believe God cares what one wears to worship.

Out of my congregation, I am the only member who has a "white collar" job, I am a libraian for a paying job, I take no salary from the church. We have farmers, carpenters, housewives, miners, mechanics, factory workers, retired military, truckdrivers, nursing assistants, and a couple of mentally handicapped.

I came to this community and church about 30 months ago. In my meanderings, I met a lady who had no dresses at all, only pants. She felt she wasn't welcome in the uptown church (Methodist) nor in the Churches of Christ (legalistic). We were chatting about church, and she said she didn't feel welcome because she didn't have "proper" clothes. I told her to come on to ours, we didn't care. Her hubby has alzheimers and said he might disrupt, told her it wouldn't be a problem, for them to come on, they would be welcome. So far so good.

Lots of folks can give voice to the word "welcome" but their actions are anything but welcoming. We say come to "my" church. It isn't my church or your church -- if it is indeed a church it is the Christ's Church, and as best my feeble brain will allow me to read, Christ received the lame, the sick, the poor, and ack, even the sinner.

We even have a couple of dogs at every service, inside the church. Seeing-eye dogs for our two members who are blind. And those animals are welcome as well.

[/Getting off my soap box]

2. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I agree, Bro. Jeff, that our dress should not disuade us from going to church. I believe that we should look decent and presentable, depending on our circumstances, I know of many who will come straight from work to church and have to wear their dirty work clothes on occassion.

I don't believe we should dress down too much just to make a point, just as I don't believe we should dress up too much for the same reason.

(We shouldn't wear shorts and a tank top "just to show those stuck up people", but we also shouldn't wear every piece of jewelry we own and a tuxedo to try to look better than everyone else.)

Our pastor typically wears a suit jacket, tie and slacks. He just bought a suit, I believe the first he's ever had, a couple months ago. (The church gave him a gift certificate for Christmas) Before that he couldn't really afford it and it's not a necessity anyway.

I haven't owned a suit in a few years now, but I either wear slacks and a pullover/button down shirt, or nice jeans, boots, and a button down shirt.

I think a lot of it also depends on which part of the country you're from as to what is considered "acceptable" attire by the congregation. Some people in other parts of the country might be offended by my wearing boots and jeans to church, but here that is perfectly acceptable as "dress" attire. In fact, I've been to more weddings in Texas with the wedding party in boots, black jeans, and hats than the more formal weddings that you would normally think of.

Bottom line, I don't want everyone to think I don't care what I look like, but I'm also not going to church in order to impress everyone.

I figure, if I wear nice clothes to a funeral to show respect for the deceased and their family, then I should wear something similar to church to show respect for God and His "family".

It seems like many people are either putting too much into what they wear or not enough.

The best position lies somewhere in between.

Just my opinion.

Bro. James