1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What does this statement mean?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Moriah, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I gave you other scriptures not just about the Old Testament people. I gave you many scriptures telling you that the message is POWER; it is the WORD OF GOD. There is NO other message in the world like it. There is NO other name in which we are to be saved. No other religion, no other gods, or goddesses have a message that saves.

There is no such thing in the Bible that says God supernaturally causes us to believe! The Bible says we believe THEN we receive the Holy Spirit. I give you the word of God but you do not accept it.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God saves us on the basis of the Cross of christ, and the Holy Spirit is given to them who will place faith in jesus...

And those who will have the faith to come to Christ are the Ones enabled by the father to be able to do such!

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Really? The disciples were with Jesus almost 24/7 for three years, saw Him do miracles, did miracles themselves (!), being taught daily about His death, burial and resurrection, yet they STILL did not understand! It wasn't until He met them after His resurrection and "breathed" on them that they believed and understood.
    Mary did not know who Jesus when she met Him at the tomb and thought He was the gardener UNTIL He opened her eyes.

The 2 men walking home to Emmaus didn't know who Jesus was even after walking and talking with Him for probably 2 hours UNTIL He opened their eyes.

Yes, God's word is living and powerful, but ONLY believers can understand it because THEY have the power of the Spirit in them that enables them to understand.

Do you not think that men like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens have not read the word of God from cover to cover? Of course they have and yet they are rabid atheists. In fact Christopher Hicthens recently died declaring he would NEVER turn to Christ for salvation. So yes, God uses the gospel in salvation, but the Holy Spirit must enlighten a man first, or he cannot even understand the gospel. To an unbeliever, Jesus is just a Jew that lived 2000 years ago and did some good stuff. It is ONLY by the Holy Spirit that their eyes can be opened to see God for who He is and receive salvation.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WOW! be careful here, as your postings seem to be heading into ole "biblical calvinism!"

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes. They are. :)

6. Moriah

Moriah New Member

We are saved by Jesus’ righteousness. No one has to give the blood of animals anymore. No one has to do various external ceremonial washings, just to worship God---we are saved by Jesus righteousness.
    That does not mean we do not have to obey and stop sinning.

7. Moriah

Moriah New Member

NEVERTHELESS, THEY WERE BELIEVERS IN HIM FIRST! They did not receive the Holy Spirit to make them believe. They received the Holy Spirit after they believed and obeyed Jesus.

If you do what Jesus says, EVEN THOUGH YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY JESUS SAYS TO DO THIS OR DO THAT, DO IT ANYWAYS, AND GOD WILL REVEAL WHY, AFTERWARDS. Jesus reveals himself to those who obey! Lean not on your own understanding. We do not even have to understand to obey, but what a blessing when we do!
    You are disproving Calvinism when you say that. Those people Jesus gave understanding to, THEY ALREADY BELIEVED IN GOD.
    It is NOT just about reading the words of God, it is about OBEYING THE WORD OF GOD. Jesus says he will reveal himself to those who get his teachings and obey his teachings.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You cannot WILL yourself to believe. That is ridiculous!

I cannot will myself to believe the moon is made of green cheese. I will have to see it to believe it! Get it???

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You say this all the time. Exactly how does one "get" the teachings of Jesus?

10. Moriah

Moriah New Member

You can will yourself to believe. You can resist the devil, as God says to do. You can stop doubting.
    Jesus says blessed are those who believe in me and have not seen me.

11. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I say it all the time because I am just trying to get others to receive the great blessing that I have. Jesus says to get his teachings and obey them, then you will receive the Holy Spirit, then Jesus will reveal himself to you.

You get Jesus’ teachings when you listen to others preach the word of God. You get Jesus’ teachings when you buy a Bible.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No you can't. Only believers who are indwelt with the Holy Spirit can resist the devil. All others are under his power and are slaves of sin.

13. Moriah

Moriah New Member

We can believe after hearing about Jesus. It is the message that saves. It is a powerful message. It is God’s hidden mystery revealed. Faith comes from hearing the message. I tell you what the Word says, and you just keep going against the Truth.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No. You are going against God's word by claiming an unbeliever can resist the devil.

15. Moriah

Moriah New Member

If you keep denying what the Bible clearly says, then you leave me with no other conclusion that Jesus has not revealed himself to you because you do not have his teachings and obey them.

If you are a Calvinist, then you have John Calvin’s teachings. If you are a Catholic, then you have the Pope’s teachings.

In addition, it is not enough to say that you do not do this sin and that sin, but rather, you must know of sins that you gave up because of Jesus. You must know things that you are doing that Jesus says to do.

Even atheists can give up sins. So stop telling me that no one can do things that God commands.

The Bible says God’s commands are not burdensome, they are easy, and they are light. 1 John 5:3; Matthew 11:30.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You are the one who said that unbelievers can resist the devil. You know that is unbiblical if you have ever read the bible. And you are not allowed to question my salvation and will be reported. I am tired of your self righteous diatribes and judgmental attitude.

17. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Where did I say unbelievers resist the devil?
    You do not follow what the Bible says, no wonder you do not follow what I say.
    I told you what my beliefs are. I read here what many others say they believe. You even get to tell me that you think I am self righteous and judgmental.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Post #50.

I said:

You replied:

We were discussing the unbeliever who YOU say can obey God and RESIST the devil.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Because you are.

You said to me:
    You have judged my heart. That is sin and makes you judgmental.

20. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I did not say an unbeliever could resist the devil. However, I am not saying an unbeliever cannot. It is just not something I said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.