1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does this verse mean to YOU?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Copper, May 28, 2005.

1. Copper

Copper Guest

What does this verse mean to YOU?

Galatians 5:9
    A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

2. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Little sins lead to big sins. Our little secret sins contaminate our whole testamony.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Beware the yeast of the Pharisees?

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

A rotten apple will spoil the whole barrel...

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Again, the issue is what does the verse mean, not what does it mean to you. It means the same thing to everyone.

In context, it means that if you keep the Law a little, you have to keep the whole Law.

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kinda like talkin back to your wife just a little gives you a big lump - or something like that.

What does the context have to do with anything anyway? :)

7. I Am Blessed 24

If you take a verse out of context (not reading the surrounding verses) you won't get what it is talking about.

When you do that, you can get any verse to mean exactly what YOU want it to...

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Amen, Larry, on both points. Needed to be said.

9. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Answering the question of what it means to me

Pure isn't pure if you add something else to it.
    One glass of 100% pure water plus one little drop of sewer water is something I'm not drinking.
    Grace with something added is not grace.

10. Copper

Copper Guest

That is exactly how I read it. Pure isn't pure if you add something else to it.

11. Copper

Copper Guest

Hello Pastor. This is the second time you have taken me to task on my question. I'm sorry you took exception with how I structured or worded my question. Perhaps you should start a few threads to give us an opportunity to critique how to correctly ask questions. That way we can take the easy path like your good self, and just sit back and judge someone Pastor.

And as for my question, there are several different people who responded, each with how that verse has touched their hearts. We all have the same Holy Spirit, if we are saved, but, we all have different life experiences that He uses to draw on. I like that post that says "Pure isn't pure..." and he cites the example of a glass of water with a single drop of sewage in it. That is a blessing to read that. To see how people have pulled something like that from the Word. I like seeing this sort of thing and I have no intention of not asking these types or kinds of questions.

I'm sorry if you disagree. But, you'll just have to get over it. I'd recommend praying about it.

Blessings,
    Copper

12. FrankBetz

FrankBetz Guest

WRONG!! "Leaven" represents corruption, contamination, that which causes bread dough to rise. The Law is not any of these, it is perfect, yet not able to save, but only condemns one who isn't able to keep the whole Law, all members of humanity inclusive.

13. FrankBetz

FrankBetz Guest

Don't worry Copper, "pastor Larry" always does that sort of thing, seems he declares himself as some sole authority on the Bible. :rolleyes: [​IMG] :rolleyes:

14. I Am Blessed 24

Leaven and Egypt both pertain to 'wordly'. That is why the leaven had to be left behind when fleeing from Pharoah.

God did not want any worldliness to go with His people. He wanted them to leave it all behind and follow Him.

A little 'worldliness' is like a little 'sin'. There is no such thing.

It gets bigger - just like bread rising.

15. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I have no arguement about asking others what a verse (or passage or even a portion of a verse) means to them.

While reading a verse within its context will usually keep someone from arriving at an erroneous conclusion concerning what that verse may be teaching, I see nothing inherently wrong with asking others what a particular verse means.

Yes, without reading and understanding the context of a passage, a person does stand the risk of mis-interpreting what a passage may be trying to tell that person.

I could, for example, announce that there are falsehoods in what the Word of God states. An example of a stated falsehood in the Bible is found in Genesis 3:4b ("Ye shall not surely die"). Of course that was a falsehood, for Adam and Eve did die spiritually when they partook of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil; and, moreover, they both eventually died phyiscally as well.

I would also be correct in stating "Twice the Bible says, 'There is no God,'" for that is a direct quotation from both Psalm 14:1 and 53:1. However, the context indicates that this is what the fool believes.

So what, then, do I believe the verse referred to in the OP is teaching? Well, I tend to agree with most of the previous postings: A "little sin" or a "little departure" from God's way is dangerous because usually it's the "little sins" that open the door to a more serious departure from the teachings of God's Word.

In other words, we should not let "little things" go unnoticed, especially in our own lives or in the lives for those whom God has placed us in a position of responsibility.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I agree - the verse belongs in its context and Paul's context here is legalism in the church amongst professing beleivers.

I am open to instruction though. Could someone share how the "little bit of sin grows" interpretation fits the context of Galatians 5?

17. I Am Blessed 24

There really is no 'little' sin. God sees SIN, not big and little sins.

It doesn't matter if Paul is talking about a sin, the world, Egypt, legalism or leaven.

The premise is the same. It represents bad things and will ruin the whole.

A little legalism in the church could ruin the whole church.

A little sin could ruin your testimony or sometimes your life.

Sin will take you farther than you want to go,
    Keep you longer than you want to stay,
    And cost you more than you want to pay...

I liked the illustration of the water. I have heard that there is nothing better than a cool, fresh, glass of water.

If one 'little' drop of poison goes into that glass - would you drink it? No. It ruins the whole...

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

In 1 Corinthians 5v6 the same wording does refer to sin.

Here it refers to a legalistic spirit.

This quote of yoru Sue fits this passage perfectly:

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I am not judging anyone. It is unfortuante you took it that way. But there is a basic rule of Bible interpretation that meaning is not individual. That is how heresy gets started. A passage means the same thing for everyone. It is always important to have right theology, both in the way we ask questions and in the way we answer them.

There is nothing to disagree about, get over, or pray about. Meaning is one, and everyone should have the same meaning. Application to life may be different. Don't confuse the two.

20. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Actually, "leaven" doesn't represent anything. Leaven is yeast, that makes bread rise. It is used as a metaphor for certain things in Scripture, and not always for the same thing.

You are right that the Law is perfect, but it cannot be added to works in order to get salvation, or to grow. But the Law is not the leaven. Leaven is leaven. It is used here to talk about adding works of the Law to grace. That is the point of Galatians. In teh context of Galatians 5, Paul is talking about adding works to grace, and he says that a little corrupts the whole thing ... a little leaven leavens the whole lump ... a little Law added to your relationship with God corrupts the whole relationship with God. This is very obvious vrom vv. 1-8 where those freed from teh Law should stand fast in it and not go back.