1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does your seminary teach about........

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Humblesmith, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am attending Southern Evangelical Seminary, and having not attended any other seminaries, I have a question for all you who are attending southern baptist seminaries. I was just curious what your school teaches about:

Isaiah: dutero-Isaiah, or one Isiaiah?

Pentateuch: Moses, or JEPD?

Gospels: Mathew & Luke, or "Q" & others?

Gospels: first century, or later?

Again, I'm just curious what is being taught at the other schools. I'm also curious as to who is the author of the main theology text that is taught? I assume they teach some systematic theology?

Thanks in advance.

2. yabba

yabba New Member

Since I have just finished two classes that deal with this at New Orleans Baptist here goes

Isaiah: Isaiah authorship with a mention of dutero and why some people claim dual authorship

Pentateuch: Mosiac authorship with someone else writing his obituary...other opinions again were explored

Gospel: Anonymous writers of all but Names are the best reasonable assumption of Authors. Mark, Matthew, Luke and John. General consensus that there were other writings of which the authors used in writing: Logia, Testemonia, Q, and perhaps eye witness interviews(ie Mark maybe dictating Peter).

Gospels: First century(between mid 50's and mid 70's)...really no arguement to show otherwise.

Will have to look at the theology text...next semester.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The seminaries and colleges I recommend and support teach:
    Isaiah: dutero-Isaiah, or one Isiaiah?
    One Isaiah-what's so hard about God knowing and revealing the future in detail?

Moses with Joshua writing the obit

The named authors. Luke of course using multiple sources, but then he said as much in his dedication to Theopholis.

First Century

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

What is SES like?

5. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    SES is a conservative school. A couple of the key professors came from DTS. I find the classes to be difficult and lengthy, but I have nothing to compare it to, as I've not attended other seminaries. SES is one of the few schools that has an apologetics degree, and as such, has an emphasis on apologetics and philosophy. The theology not only teaches what are the essentials of Christianity, but also teaches:

--"why" they are essential,
    --the philosophical foundations of Christian thought
    --what other false teachers have taught over the centuries, and why their positions are false.

In today's world, we have people who question very basic thoughts, such as "how can there be one correct view?" and as such, they question the authority of the bible. So with many people, we often have to start with apologetics, and lead into evangelism. As I understand it, most schools don't deal with these concepts. SES fills that gap. There are a couple of excelent quotes from C. S. Lewis, to the effect of:
    "good philosophy must exist, if for nothing else than bad philosophy must be answered."
    "who else does the unlearned have but us to defend against the attacks of the skeptics?"

And as for the items in my first questions above:
    --One Isaiah, (and why dutero-Isiaih is false)
    --Moses, (and why JEPD is false)
    --Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John (and why Q is hooey)
    --early dates

Jude 3

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Systematic Theology at NOBTS uses Grudem.

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Tater

Don't remind me of HIM!

;o)

8. Broadus

Broadus Member

SBTS also takes the conservative approach, e.g. one Isaiah, Moses for most (JEDP is outdated nonsense), gospel writers named using written and eyewitness accounts, 1st century. Intro systematic theology text is typically Grudem.

Blessings,
    Bill

9. Charles E Smith

Charles E Smith New Member

Has anybody ever heard the theory that Moses wrote down his own death in the last chapter of Deuteronomy?

10. UZThD

UZThD New Member

==

I have read and much used Grudem's Systematic, and like it -- although IMO he contradicts himself re Christology and Trinal relationships. I think Grudem elsewhere has done great work in defining 'kephale' [head] in his JETS articles and the NT prophetic office in his dissertation. At WS we used Erickson, whom I think also is wrong in his Christology, but ,then, that is just my opinion. Yet, Grudem would also think Erickson wrong in the latter's kenotic Christology and Erickson would think Grudem wrong in his lack of that, so, we all opine, don't we?

I attended Western (CB)Seminary 90-94. The faculty teaching position affirms the inspiration, authority, and inerrancy of the autographa of the 66 Books, but does not address authorship. Likely when authorship is broached a conservative position would be espoused by staff.

11. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

I attend Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.

Isaiah: deutero-Isaiah, or one Isiaiah?
    Like any good school they teach both and give evidence both for and against. They let the students examine the evidence for themselves and arrive at their own conclusions. That is how a school of higher education is supposed to teach.

Ditto here, but I have heard many students recently complaining that they are now being taught only the Mosaic authorship option. I took Old Testament survey two years ago (before the change in administration) so I haven’t experienced any indoctrination along this front.

The professors teach both. Some professors hold to a particular theory on the subject more than others.

First century.

Unfortunately, Grudem is the main theology book used.

12. Nord

Nord New Member

Okay, I'll bite....what is the problem with Grudem. I don't necessarily agree with all that he writes but he is solid, intelligent and well reasoned. His Systematic Theology is a classic. Is the objection to him that his is an ardent Reformed (Calvinist) Theologian??

Nord

13. UZThD

UZThD New Member

a mistake post...sorry

14. Nord

Nord New Member

Hey UZ,

Good post on UNIZUL by the way.

Nord

15. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Hi North

As for me I like Grudem, but not as much perhaps as Hodge.

I think one may be wrong to like or dislike a systematic text because we agree with it or even because we like its form and style.

Better criteria may be : (1)the quality of the evidence the text makes for each of its doctrines ,and, (2) the coherence of each doctrine with all other related tenets in the system of that systematic.

IMO Grudem falters at times in both areas, but so do we all!

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

UZThD

He does falter.

I wished they used Garrett, he is a scholar's scholar. And he is Baptist!

17. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

umm, Grudem is a Baptist.

18. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

Grudem's book is fine and worth having in one's library. Unfortunately, it is really not a comparatively good textbook.

1) The book does not explore a variety of different viewpoints on particular issues. It is more of a book of indoctrination rather than a book of educational explanation. Erickson’s book is just as conservative but fairly offers alternative viewpoints to different doctrines. Erickson provides the strengths and weaknesses of each view and then gives his own. BUT HE FAIRLY PRESENTS OTHER VIEWS.

2) Being highly Calvinistic is not a problem but the fact that the Armenian perspective is presented by open theists is a problem. That is highly unfair to the Armenian position.

3) Grudem is quick to dismiss any viewpoint that differs from his. Any one who is not as Calvinistic or conservative as him is written off as unorthodox. EXCEPT when it comes to dispensationalism. Yes, Grudem treats pre-tribulation rapture dispensational theology with kid gloves even though he himself rejects it. Why isn’t he as dogmatic about eschatology as he is about women in ministry, the role of the pastor, and other such views? Surely eschatology is more important. The truth is that the majority of conservative evangelicals do not support Grudem’s views of eschatology. He is only dogmatic about the views he holds that are popular. When his views are not popular then he is less dogmatic. In short, he panders to popular theological whims.

19. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Good discussion on Grudem vs. Erickson. I like Erickson a lot and agree that he does treat each view fairly. I'm considering buying Grudem also. Everyone's comments are helpful. I'll take a second look at Barnes & Noble's at the Grudem book before I buy it.

20. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Erickson is too.