1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What ever happened to “sound Doctrine”?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Read the rules at the bottom of each page, and also at the top of each forum you enter. Sexual topics are to be discussed in private forums. There are two reasons for this.
    1. This is a family oriented board. People of all ages (children included) read these posts. There are some things that are not edifying to all believers, and therefore should be discussed in a private forum.

2. The subject, especially of the sin of two women or two men being together should not be discussed. The words attract google ads (banners) to the site. We don't want to be advertising said subject on this board. Thus these hot button words should be avoided simply for the fact that they will attract advertisements about the same subject.

2. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

I think you've got a point there. I do think that cultures vary on what is long for a man and short for a woman so it seems there's some flexibility there.

3. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Besides, Jesus had long hair.... Look at any picture of him!

Ok, just joking!

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Hey I know a lady that really believes that.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

What happened to sound doctrine?

1. Preachers stopped learning it, and thus stopped preaching it.
    2. Preachers decided to ride their particular theological "hobby horse" to death, causing hungry sheep to starve.
    3. Preahers have preached it, but used it to divide rather than feed sheep.
    4. Preachers have preached it, but sheep have refused to eat it, and we have thus raise an a-theological generation which in turn takes us back to step 1.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Is there a dearth of sound doctrine on the BB? Well, that's problematic. Some would say "yes" and I might agree. But we'd have entirely different definitions. The faith once for all delivered unto the saints is under attack, and BB is no exception.

There are those who hold to Biblical teaching and Biblical piety, but the internet isn't always the best place to find these folks. There are some here who are faithful stewards of the mysteries of God, and I thank God for them.

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I answered this already in my post #18. The lead in to the "hair" verses says: "judge for yourselves". This is one of those places where Paul implies that will be differences between believers.

"Does nature not teach you...." What does this mean? it can't mean a universal conviction for short haired men bound to our genetic make-up, because there simply isn't one. The length of hair on men varies by culture and time period. Those in Paul's time who took the vow of a Nazarine (as did Samuel and Samson in the OT), never, ever cut their hair. Was it a shame? God evidently didn't think so considering the exploits of the OT examples.

While on this topic, Christ was known as a Nazarine, correct? So what do you think that says about His hair length? ;)

8. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

No Samuel was a priest not a Nazzerite, Samson was a Nazzerite not a Nazzerine. The vow of the Nazzerite is covered in Numbers 6:

1And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

2Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the LORD:

3He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.

4All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk.

5All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.

6All the days that he separateth himself unto the LORD he shall come at no dead body.

7He shall not make himself unclean for his father, or for his mother, for his brother, or for his sister, when they die: because the consecration of his God is upon his head.

8All the days of his separation he is holy unto the LORD.

Notice here in verse 8 it was not normally for a lifetime but a period of time. Samson was called of God to be a Nazzerite for life, he was an exception to the rule.

Jesus was called a Nazarene because He was from the town of Nazzareth and He had taken no such vow. Since He was not a Nazzarite it says nothing about His hair.

Matthew 2:
    22But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the room of his father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being warned of God in a dream, he turned aside into the parts of Galilee:

23And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

#48 revmwc, May 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2011
  9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Nazzerite was usually for 1 year. The head would be shaved then would be allowed to grow for the rest of the year of the vow. The point was self denial and self-humiliation. The long hair was humiliating to the man. That is why Paul says that long hair is a shame to a man.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess that since Im bald, then Im on the right path:thumbs:

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ohhhh, AMEN Brother Tom:thumbs:

12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Hair needs lots of food. The roots grow down as much as the hair grows out. If the roots hit gray matter, the hair turns gray. If the roots hit nothing, . . . well, just sayin'. :D

13. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Many say this is a description of how Jesus would look when He came to earth, Song of Solomon 5:

10My beloved is white and ruddy, the chiefest among ten thousand.

11His head is as the most fine gold, his locks are bushy, and black as a raven.

12His eyes are as the eyes of doves by the rivers of waters, washed with milk, and fitly set.

13His cheeks are as a bed of spices, as sweet flowers: his lips like lilies, dropping sweet smelling myrrh.

14His hands are as gold rings set with the beryl: his belly is as bright ivory overlaid with sapphires.

15His legs are as pillars of marble, set upon sockets of fine gold: his countenance is as Lebanon, excellent as the cedars.

16His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.

It says His locks were bushy and black as raven. Not sure the term bushy, it could mean curly. But it definitely doesn't say it was long. Absalom is said to have polled his hair because of it's thickness. 2 Samuel 14:26.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ha, Ha, Ha:tongue3:

15. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Well I must be ok too my turned gray actually white like snow well parts of it so far but more and more turning white.

16. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Wow, I've been going gray since I was 18! Gray=hair roots meeting gray matter.....hmmmm, I think I like that idea. :D

Back on the off topic of hair: Hannah vowed to never let a razor touch Samuel's head. Does this make him a Nazarite for life as well?

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Naaa just a greaseball:laugh:

18. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Sound doctrine has been replaced by denominational doctrine & tradition. :tear:

#58 michael-acts17:11, May 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2011
  19. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

20. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

So look at it,

1 Samuel 1:

11And she vowed a vow, and said, O LORD of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the LORD all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head.

Verse 28Therefore also I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the LORD. And he worshipped the LORD there.

chapter 2:
    Verse 19 Moreover his mother made him a little coat, and brought it to him from year to year, when she came up with her husband to offer the yearly sacrifice.

The only reference we see is her vowing that vow but as Samuel grew and was given to Eli we aren't told whether a razor touched his head or not.

1 Samuel 25: 1 And Samuel died; and all the Israelites were gathered together, and lamented him, and buried him in his house at Ramah. And David arose, and went down to the wilderness of Paran.

We also see no reference her that says Samuel died and no razor ever touched his head. Hannah had control to keep her vow up until Samuel was weaned, possibly 2 years. So for two years we can say Hannah would have kept her vow but did Eli even know of the vow. Verse 28 could give us the clue he was lent to the Lord and that is what a Nazerite was someone lent to the Lord in dedication, so yes it is hughly possilble and very probable he was a Nazerite.

However Jesus was not so he was a Nazarene, a citzen of the city of Nazareth. He was not a Nazarite and that makes a big difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.