1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What exactly IS your "best"?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Jul 15, 2006.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

You've probably heard it preached that the Lord only accepts our "very best" when it comes to serving Him.

Can someone clearly define what precisely our "very best" means?

There have been times when I wondered about whether or not I really gave my "very best" because, upon looking back at a given situation, I've often said to myself, "You know, I could have done that in a better way than I did!"

If, then "I could have done it better," does that therefore mean I didn't do my "very best," and, as a consequence, that service was totally unacceptable to the Lord and something for which no rewards can ever expect to be doled out for it when my life is judged at the Judgment Seat of Christ? :tear:

Has anyone else ever wondered about this?

(Yes, I know we're not supposed to "expect rewards" for what we do for Christ........but, on the other hand, should we then expect to "lose rewards" if whatever we do for Him could have ever been improved upon?

(Am I making any sense to any of you concerning what I'm asking? :praying: )

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

The very best that any Christian can do is die to self and allow the Holy Spirit to manifest the life of Christ in our members. Anything we do will burn. Anything He does will stand as gold, silver or precious stones.

3. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I agree with this statement. But if we're indwelt by the Holy Spirit then those things we do manifests the life of Christ. In fact, that's a good description of what I've been calling a Christian.

4. preacher

preacher New Member

I'm afraid a lot of us are gonna have a lot of our works burn then, wouldn't ya say??

5. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

I am not sure I have a "textbook" answer for what it means "to do my best", however, I really appreciate Micah 6:8 and how it seems to set me at ease for what God expects from me.

Thanks to God:praise:

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I do believe we grow -- I am much better at the things I do "now" than the things I did "then." That would be true of everything.

so if you look back and thought you'd done your best but see things you could have done differently, then perhaps it is because you know more now than you did then.

I in no way want to remove the Holy Spirit from the sitituation, but we've all seen preachers and other servants grow in a variety of tasks.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

When it comes from the heart God accepts it.
    From what I can see, two types of serving God(for the purpose of this topic).
    Serving God so others can see becasue you like the praise of men.
    Serving God because you want to serve God, it comes from the heart, not self pride. No matter who sees.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Love the Lord with all of your heart, soul, strength and mind...and the "very best" will follow.