1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What good is job training when there are no jobs?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by billwald, Jan 7, 2009.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

What jobs are available that a 50 year old person could be trained for? Will they pay the mortgage? Are not the job training programs mostly "make work" for junior colleges?

I absolutely don't understand how the majority of the workers in a nation can have service jobs and entertainment industry and other fluff jobs unless the are being paid slave wages. Seems to me that the basics are food, shelter, and clothing. Right from A&E being kicked out of the Garden people needed food, shelter, and clothing. What else do people need? Medical help? Except for first aid and bone setting, what passed for medicine until the 20th century probably did more harm than good.

Until the 20th century half our population worked in food production and lived in rural areas. Now it is less than 5%. Half the people who came through Ellis Island went into service (became servants to the rich people and the small middle class) or worked for slave wages in sweat shops.

The old saying was that nothing happened until someone sold something - back when we had people going door to door selling stuff. The salesman convinces someone that they "need" the product more than they need their money.

Recent optimists say that every morning someone wakes up and wants breakfast and someone else wants to cook it for him . . . but what if the hungry person doesn't have 5 bucks in his pocket?

All the great historical civilizations had the grunt work done by slaves. Since WW2 Americans have had their grunt work done in Asia and South America while we did the high tech stuff. Now days the high tech stuff has gone off shore.

SOMEONE please explain to me where the good paying jobs are going to come from if no one in the US is making stuff that other people MUST have even when they are broke?

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Most people I know who can't find a job in their area, who didn't want to live on welfare, moved .