1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What happened with Judas money?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Dec 29, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

:confused:

Matthew 27:3-6

"Then when Judas, who had betrayed Him, saw that He had been condemned, he felt remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, 4saying, "I have sinned by betraying innocent blood." But they said, "What is that to us? See to that yourself!" 5And he threw the pieces of silver into the sanctuary and departed; and he went away and hanged himself. 6

He threw the money away and then hanged himself.
    There is no mentioning of Judas returning and picking up the money and then buying a field.
    But in acts it suddenly says he bought a field. How does this fit together? Why should Judas quickly have bought a field before killing himself? And also in Matthew it says Judas hanged himself and in acts it says he fell headlong and burst open. :confused:

Acts 1:16-18
    "Brethren, the Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit foretold by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus. 17"For he was counted among us, and received his portion in this ministry." 18(Now this man acquired a field with the price of his wickedness; and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his bowels gushed out. 19
    And it became known to all who were living in Jerusalem; so that in their own language that field was called Hakeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)"

2. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Just because it does not say he picked up the money doesn't me he didn't. Acts is just providing more information.

As for the two different descriptions of Judas' death, there are plenty of explanations. One is that Jusdas did indeed fall headlong (or on his face) either in the act of hanging or in being cut down. Its very grusome, but probably, that his hanging body, once found, would burst when cut down.

3. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

The Gospels indicate the "authorities" bought the field with the "bloody money".

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Judas gave the money to men that did not practice discipleship . . . and Judas was a bad disciple.

5. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

where does the bible say that other bought the field from the money?

the bible says this:

Now this man acquired a field with the price of his wickedness

which man?

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

A man that did not believe the Bible and was not a disciple . . .

What color is the inside of the sun?

What color is the inside of the Earth?

:wavey:

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A very vivid yellowish-orange.

Which part? The mantle, the outer core, or the inner core?

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

:laugh:

Does it matter? Does it matter any more than doubting God and His Word?

9. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

You finally made it on my ignore list, El.
    Congrats. :thumbsup:

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

You ignore God . . . so why should I expect you to treat me better then you treat God?

:thumbs:

11. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I don't see your stuff anymore, El. :laugh:
    I'm also too lazy to remove you only to read your reply to later on put you on the list again. Sorry.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

At least you are honest enough to admit that you are lazy . . .

:saint:

13. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Are you trying to tempt me to remove you from the list to read your reply?

14. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep reading a little further in your original text.

You quoted Matthew 27:3-5.

Keep reading with verse 6 and following: "The chief priests picked up the coins and said, 'It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money.' So they decided to use the money to buy the potter's field as a burial place for foreigners.

That is why it has been called the Field of Blood to this day. Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled. 'They took the thirty silver coins, the price set on him by the people if Israel, and they used them to buy the potter's field as the Lord commanded me."

Now that it has been established that the authorities purchased the field because they could not use the "blood money" for anything related to their religious position, they probably purchased it in Judas' name. It couldn't be in the name of the synagouge or their names either.

The is more than likely what Peter is referring to when he says "this man".

About Judas' death. He did hang himself. And his body was thrown into the potter's field, it was legally his, and due to decomposition, it burst wide open.

#14 Scarlett O., Dec 29, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  15. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Thank you.

I was simply confused about "this man" because this implies that Judas himself did it and not the pharisees. This is what confused me. I don't understand why being accurate and asking questions is supposed to be bad. Blind faith doesn't help anyone. The bible has to be correct and when there is something unclear then it has to be explainable somehow, it has to. Otherwise the bible cannot be God's word if it has errors.

16. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Sounds like you gave into the temptation of the devil to undermine the Word of God.

So, I kinda doubt that I could tempt you.

;)

18. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing wrong with wanting accuracy. I personally think....and this is just me, xdx....... that if you started with the simple faith that the bible is accurate, then your questions might be more of a desire for understanding and not proof. You would still have questions, but they would be perhaps differently worded or motivated.

:laugh: Blind faith has helped me more times than you could ever know. :godisgood:

Please don't confuse blind faith with being ignorant. It's ignorance that doesn't help anyone. Trying exercising your faith to be a tool to alleve any issues that you feel ignorant of.

That's what I do when I feel ignorant about any biblical issues.

Again, the bible is inerrant. Start with that premise and seek clarification, a better interpretation, clearer understanding, or deeper application and not just a request for proof.

Who knows, that type of thinking might bring about the change you are looking for.

:jesus:

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Another great post!

20. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

XDX

First of all. Thanks for being more participative in your posts today. Maybe it is just me but that helps to take you seriously when you participate in your own threads. I think you were frustrating alot of us.

As you ask more and more questions and realize that there are answers for them and you were just misunderstanding as opposed to the Bible being wrong. As this happens over and over, your faith will grow. You will start to approch your questions from the view point of " where am I misunderstanding" instead of " Prove to me the Bible is not incorrect" When this happens you will know you are growing as a Christian.