1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what Happens To a Christian that refuses To confess/repent of Sins Before God?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Dec 8, 2011.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

2. Herald

Herald New Member

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking about. A professed believer who displays no repentance from sin is in a dangerous place. Christians do sin. They may even fall into a bad way for a continued period of time; but part of the Christian life is repentance. In fact, repentance is central to the Christian faith. An unwillingness to recognize their sin, and to confess and turn from it, displays a calloused heart to the Holy Spirit. While we cannot say dogmatically, such actions display an unregenerate heart; not the heart of a child of God. I would fear for such a person.

3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

was referring to IF that person, who was a genuine believer, would face loss of fellowship, empowering, prayers getting answered etc...

If there would be consequences until he came back to God

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Think part of the problem is how we define "restoration" inlife of a Christian...

we can NEVER lose our relationship to God based upon our sinning, as we will always been saved by grace, child of God...

NO need to restore that aspect, BUT the Bible does show us that IFa believer engagesin willful sins and refused to confess/repent of that to God...

Will be stuck in a positional place where God will bring chaistisment, refused to answer prayers, fell alone etc until rstored back to being able enjoy and have a profitable relationship with God...

Relationshop/fellowship from God side stays same, its just that we "lose" the fellowship from our perspective on it!

be like iF I became angry at my father, refused to ask forgiveness from Him, refused to repent of that act, would still by his son, but doubt would have a real fellowship going on!

5. Herald

Herald New Member

Thanks for the clarification.

The reason I refer to such individuals as "professed believers" is because their refusal to repent from sin undermines their profession. If a church member refuses to repent they open themselves up to progressive church discipline. If their heart remains hardened throughout all attempts to call them to repentance, then they face the prospect of excommunication. The result? They are to be treated by the church as an unbeliever. Regular fellowship and the graces of the church are withheld. That doesn't mean they are to be persecuted or their family shunned; especially if the family is continuing in fellowship in the church. We should pray for such a person that God will grant them repentance and save them.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh Herald.....Ive seen that work both ways. Ive seen a youth pastor at an IFB church vilified, fired & labeled as a reprobate because the youth pastor believed in doctrines of Grace & the Head Pastor was violently apposed to it....so he used church discipline as a means to restrict the Youth Pastors desires to follow that path in his Soterology......Even to telling everyone that the Church would NOT be blessed because of the Youth Pastors belief system.....effectively making the Youth Pastor a outsider in his own church community

7. 12strings

12strings Active Member

This is unfortunate, but just because authority an/or accountability can be abused does not mean we should do away with it.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

My view is that a true believer can, in fact, lost his fellowship with the Lord. But he cannot lose his relationship.

When I disobeyed my father, relationship was unaffected, but our fellowship was not the same.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I agree, the fellowship is not the same, but it is not lost. The fellowship does not end, it just changes.

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a genuine Christian and they sin again and do not confess. God will correct them. I just have a problem believing a true Christian would refuse to confess. A corection from God can be life threatening. Just look at what happened to Jonah.
    MB