1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Hath God Wroght!

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by CHRISTian PS Watch, May 28, 2008.

1. CHRISTian PS Watch

CHRISTian PS Watch New Member

I have just started reading 'What Hath God Wrought: A Biblical Interpretation of American History'. I was curious if anyone on the board had read it and what they thought of it?

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you talking about the book by Daniel Howe "What God Hath Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815-1848"? If so I have not read it, but I have read "The Glorious Cause" and it is a very good book. One of my colleagues teaches a course on the American Civil War and he uses "Battle Cry Of Freedom" for the textbook. All these books are part of the same series. If you are talking about a different book, can you give us a link. The book by Howe is the only one I could find by that title.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Found it!

I found the book you are talking about. Never heard of it and until I did some digging I had never heard of the author either. After examining his biographical sketch I learned that he holds no earned degrees in history and his "PhD in History" is from an unaccredited, unknown school. He is also an extreme KJOist. Therefore I don't think that I would take anything he said as factual unless you could verify it through a more trustworthy source. Sadly, and I say this with a broken heart, some Christians tend to twist American history or cherry pick American history in order to make it what they want it to be. Such people often have the best of motives and a pure heart, and most of the time I don't think they realize what they are doing. However they are not trained historians, they depend mostly upon secondary sources, questionable "facts", and they often read things in ways that are not historically accurate. I tend to favor people who have some level of historical training.

If you are looking for a good, well researched, book about Christianity in American History I would suggest you read "The Old Religion In A New World" and/or "The Religious History of America".

#3 Martin, May 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2008
  4. CHRISTian PS Watch

CHRISTian PS Watch New Member

Thanks Martin, I appreciate the input. I have enjoyed reading it but I will make sure to take it with a grain of salt and make sure to check the author's references. I didn't give the authors name originally but it is Dr. William P. Grady.

Thanks again.