1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Have We Learned From Willow Creek?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Dec 9, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. A lot of pastors have looked up to Bill Hybels and the Willow Creek Ministries, but recent Bill Hybels came out (which I commend him for) and admitted that he and the leadership failed at the way they were approaching ministry:

* Speaking at the Leadership Summit, Hybels summarized the findings this way:

2. Now, at Willow Creek, they are doing more opening their Bibles are trying to do more expository preaching and not just topic; they are trying to get people to take the initiative to grow spiritual through prayer and the study of the Word.

3. I still find the church in the book of Acts to be the best model for any age. :thumbs:

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I like the fact that they accepted the results which spoke against the direction they felt led and was willing to change for the growth of the people. A stubborn Pastor would have blamed the people for not responding and put more focus and effort in what wasn't working.

3. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

I would say a group that invested MILLIONS of dollars that was CLEARLY and DEMONSTRATIVELY told was NOT good, would not help spiritually are the stubborn ones. I have no celebration for a man Hybels' age to say he was substantially WRONG. What a shame, and he needs removed from ministry leadership immediately along with the rest of the cohorts that promoted their nonsense.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Why must Bill Hybels and his cohorts be removed from leadership immediately?

Don't you think their admission to failure and the fact that they are willing to revisit the Word, are good enough reason to remain in leadership?

BTW, who is going to remove them from leadership?

5. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did he say specifically what things didn't work, and which things they were changing to?

6. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

Their removal of course would be based on their form of church government. The statement was a general one. Admitting this kind of failure on both a theological and practical level which requires a massive recall and recantation of theological and ministerial philosophy I would say emphatically YES they should be removed.

They aren't interested in revisiting anything and standing down until a comprehensive epistemological rehabilitation occurs.

This isn't the recognition of an insignificant error but the manifestation of years of ignorance and deliberate dismissal of counter views challenging their theological and practical errors.

Hybels stating:
    Tells me not only was he not interested in accepting refutations of his error to begin with but spent MILLIONS of dollars based on such arrogant ignorance (I say arrogant ignorance because he wasn't isolated on an Island without input from constant critics but chose to reject them, revealing such arrogance) only to blame...THE DATA.

The DATA? What KIND of shepherd is he that he is so inadequate he doesn't know what HELPS spiritually and what does? The kind that needs to be removed IMMEDIATELY because he has demonstrated he is nothing more than a NOVICE with the Word of God and not qualified.

#6 Alex Quackenbush, Dec 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2007
  7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

And I respect your strong opinions.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hopefully some of the bread-and-circuses/fluff preachers who disdain and demean the Word for their "preaching" will learn that these man-made methods will not be honored by our Lord.

Hybels was doctrinally deficient at its core and I am THRILLED that they recognized such and sek to remedy it.