1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What I post I wrote.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by makahiya117, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Hank, that was only HALF of the list :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, I think OBSESSION is exactly the right word to use.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

And you're OBSESSED with KJVO, if you weren't you would ignore us.:null::smilewinkgrin:

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <snip rest for brevity>

This is almost my EXACT experience. Great post.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting even YOU believe that. :laugh:

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I care about those in our church who believe in false beliefs. They prefer the KJV? That's awesome!! Even feel that the manuscript evidence is stronger for it? Peachy!! But to denigrate the Word of God? Nope, not gonna happen. Heck, we have a hard enough as Christian teachers to get our congregations to even READ the Bible and OBEY it - now we tell them that the Bible is corrupt? Fugghetaboutit!

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I would be the first to admit that I don't have much intelligence to insult.

I do, however, have enough to know how to spot false doctrine.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

They DO prefer the King James, so what's the problem?

As far as those who do not read the other versions, perhaps there is a reason why??

I am always amazed that only the King James Bible can inspire such dedication. I suppose there might be some NIV onlies, or ESV onlies, but it it so extremely rare as to be almost nonexistant.

But literally millions are inspired by the KJB to believe it is the only word of God in English.

How do you explain that?

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

NO problem with that.

Because they believe untruths?

That's because "onlies" believe in untruths. When you understand the facts of the matter, you don't mind a KJV, NIV, NASB or ESV. Personally, I use mainly the ESV. It's my paper Bible that I carry, it's my default in all of my software. But I will use the KJV oftentimes to respond to a post with a KJV person to use their 'language' and I love the NASB for personal study as well. I am with the KJV translators and believe in a multiplicity of good Bibles.

Literally there are millions of Muslims. How do you explain that?

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

But you DO have a problem with it.

They do not believe it is an untruth

That is your opinion. Most KJVO have looked seriously at the evidence and came to the conclusion that the KJB is the only accurate word of God in English.

There is a HUGE difference between Muslims and born again Christians indwelled by the Holy Spirit that Jesus promised would guide a believer into all truth.

Jhn 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Jesus said the Holy Spirit would guide believers into truth. You have literally millions of Christians indwelt by the Holy Spirit that sincerely believe the KJB is the only accurate word of God in English. None of the other versions can claim such a following.

Google NIV only churches and see what you find, or ESV, or NASB. You will find ZILCH.

But Google KJB only churches and you will find literally thousands of churches.

http://fundamental.org/fundamental/...ncountry&countryname=United States of America

The thing is, these lists are only partial. I looked at some of the lists and personally know of MANY KJB only churches that are not listed here.

There is a reason so many Christians are devoted to the King James, but not devoted to any other version.

You can choose to ignore the obvious if you wish.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh? You know my heart? Interesting. I joined a church in '96 where the pastor was KJVP. He grew up with the KJV, memorized with it and while he'd sometimes use another version if it phrased the Scriptures he was using better, primarily he used the KJV. It wasn't until a few years ago that he decided to use the NIV in the pulpit but I've noticed he's back to using the KJV for now. I think that's great! If I had a problem with someone preferring the KJV, I think I'd know it - but I don't.

Yep, they don't. So I have been able to give them TRUE information and not the lies that they were fed. I've shown them the "missing verses" in all of my other versions, I've shown them the facts of where the KJV differs from the MT in many places (because they were stating that the KJV is exactly like the MT, which we know for a fact it is not - and they were standing on the MT being the only good text to use - oh and they didn't even realize that it's text"s" and not text. ) and other things to show them that their assertions are just not factual.

Actually, they haven't. Almost every KJVO that I have encountered has looked at propoganda and not reality. Those that HAVE looked at the evidence have quickly left the "only" camp although some still prefer the KJV.

There are many sincere believers who believe you can lose your salvation (as we see on this board). There are many sincere believers who believe in infant baptism. Just because one is a "sincere believer" doesn't mean they won't be in error. Yes, many are devoted to the KJV because culturally it is what they grew up with and they love it (as my pastor is). But many are devoted to it because lies they have been taught.

I don't ignore anything. I will not set foot in a KJVO church because they teach a false doctrine - some going as far as saying the KJV Bible is God! Yeah - I do not ignore heresy.

11. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJV-only opposition to the facts concerning the KJV

KJV-only advocates seem desperate to accuse falsely any believer that disagrees with a modern, man-made KJV-only theory.

Providing accurate information about the English translation [the KJV] that I mainly use does not indicate any hatred for that translation. I am advocating the same basic view of Bible translations as that held by the KJV translators themselves.

Evidently, KJV-only advocates are opposed to knowing the truth about the making of the KJV and about the printing of the KJV. They seem to oppose the presenting of the truth about the pre-1611 English Bibles of which the KJV was a revision and the KJV. They want to ignore the facts in order to cling to their subjective opinions.

Because of the lack of accurate information about the KJV and all the differences in various editions, there are a number of present KJV editions that have new undetected errors that were likely unintentionally introduced into them.

Over 12 editions of the KJV printed from around the 1980's unto today have a new set of variations and errors, likely introduced from the KJV text being printed from a computer file. Other recent KJV editions including some edited and printed by KJV-only groups have a good number of differences and even some new errors.

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

Why is it even your business what these friends of yours believe? If they want to believe in KJB only, how is that hurting Christianity? It's not like they are supporting the New World Translation or the Book of Mormon, you yourself say it is the word of God. So, I think you do have a problem with the KJB, although you will not admit it.

Look, the word of God cannot both contain and omit the last 12 verses of the 16th chapter of Mark. If you believe that, then you do not have a logical mind. They cannot both be the preserved word of God, either one, or both are error, but it is impossible both are the preserved word of God.

You can insist both are the preserved word of God, and you just make a fool of yourself, that is logically impossible.

You call it propaganda, they believe the information they have studied is true.

Actually, if a person reads the scriptures without bias, they must admit there are MANY verses that seem to suggest a person can lose their salvation. I do not personally believe you can lose your salvation, but I can understand these person's point of view. There are MANY scriptures that do appear to suggest this.

Rom 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
    21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

I do not believe this verse is teaching you can lose salvation, but I can easily understand how some sincere and honest Christians could interpret this verse to teach that. Why should a believer fear? Yet, that is what these verses say.

Now, infant baptism is clearly different, Acts 8:37 says only a person who believes can be baptized.

Acts 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
    37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

This verse makes it clear that you must KNOWINGLY believe on Jesus to be baptized. A newborn baby cannot possibly know this. So, this is very different from those who believe you can lose salvation.

But truth is, many millions of born again Christians believe the KJB is the only accurate word of God in English. No other version has this devoted a following. There is a reason for this.

13. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you asserting that the Byzantine Greek New Testament manuscripts and the KJV cannot both be the word of God since there are some textual differences between them?

The KJV has readings that Erasmus added by translating from the Latin Vulgate that were not found in the Greek NT manuscripts that he had available. The Greek NT manuscripts used by Erasmus had words, phrases, and verses missing, and Erasmus wrote in a number of corrections in them.

The KJV even has readings that were conjectures by textual editors of the Textus Receptus editions [such as Erasmus or Beza] that are not found in the Greek NT manuscripts.

Are you implying that KJV-only advocates are arguing for what is "logically impossible" when they in effect advocate a very inconsistent view of the preservation of the Scriptures?

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You just don't get it. When they disparage the Bible that I use, that many other people use and tell lies, then it's a problem.

So let's be honest and put it in - but notate that there is question about it's heritage.

Yep - they do believe that which they have been told is true. Have they studied it? No. Not beyond KJVO advocates.

Yet "households" were baptized and that would include babies so babies can be baptized too. :type:

Yes, millions of born again Christians believe the lie that the KJV is the only accurate word of God in English - because they have not studied the truth. Interestingly enough, there are no true Biblical scholars who believe your statement. That screams volumes to me. Those who know Bible accuracy do not stand behind the KJVO stance. There is a reason for this.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Here we go round...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.