1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"What I would do if I were the Southern Baptist Pope" Article

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For all who have an interest:

This is an "education" or "seminary" article. Read it before you say it belongs in the "ministry" thread. It starts out by saying that "seminary edumacation" is all wrong. Read it before you dismiss it. It goes along with some other threads I have posted. FYI:

http://sbcvoices.com/if-i-were-the-...eed&utm_campaign=Feed:+SbcVoices+(SBC+Voices)

Should open up some wounds, or not? :laugh:

"That is all!"

2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

This was my reply to the post:

"Dave,

I like your #2, but not your #1. I agree the up and coming pastors need practicum, but the LAST thing we need to do is to decrease the total amount of theological education.

Instead, I would suggest this; do away with residential Seminary as much as possible, and instead require sponsoring/ordaining churches to provide internships for the people in whom they have recognized a call to the ministry. Then have a full four year internship, right where they are, while taking their Seminary classes via distance education. There is no class with today’s technology, that cannot be successfully taught through internet/distance classes. The person’s actual pastor would be training them in practicum right where they are (which I would argue is the biblical model anyway). I think this is the “best of both worlds.”"

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nobody should ever be allowed to lead in a church unless they have proven themselves in a smaller way by making disciples. That includes every leader in a church.