1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What if Rudy gets the GOP "nod"?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by StefanM, Apr 27, 2007.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, you are right about that. First of all, a friend of mine does not flap his jaws unchecked. And second, friends of mine most often did something to serve this nation. My standards leave yours in the dust, with your glorification of the republican party. Now put that in your poetry book and smoke it.

2. Rooselk

Rooselk Member

Coming as it does from supporter of a party of goose stepping fascists I'd take that as a compliment.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Saturneneptune,

Perhaps you missed this from the last page. I would like you to address it. I said,

Twice, you accused me of saying something I did not say. I gave you the undeniable truth about it. The question is: Will you apologize for making stuff up about me?

This kind of thing should not be left unaddressed.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I went back and read your posts. I must apologize. You never did say you would vote for Giuliani, or support him. However, if you even watch the news in a casual manner, you know how he stands on abortion. That should be enough right there. There is nothing else to find out about him.

Also, your comments about being held to account for helping elect a "more"evil democrat because you voted your conscience in a 3rd party, bypassing the "less" evil republican implies you think there is some virtue in the republican machine. There is none. Yes, we all understand no one is perfect, but this goes way beyond that. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

It is my sincere hope that a pastor would never vote for someone like Giuliani.
    Quote by you:
    The second question is one addressing voting for candidates who cannot win. Salving your conscience is hardly an excuse to help elect evil. A conscious wrongly trained is still wrong. It would be nice if a third party candidate could win. It would be unAmerican to help elect the worst candidate by voting for someone who cannot win, rather than by voting for a better candidate who is not be perfect.

Rudy? Who knows. I don't really know enough about him. I doubt he can win the primary becuase of his personal past.

Another quote by you:Were I politically inclined, I would certainly work for a third party candidate that shared my values. The Republicans don't, and the Democrats are not even in the ballgame. But at the end of the day, it would be sin for me to help elect a the "greater of two evils" by voting for someone who cannot win. If you can sell your country down the river like that, that is up to you I suppose. I can't.
    I cannot justify helping elect someone who will appoint clearly prochoice judges to selfishly pursue my own ideas. This country and its grand experiment is bigger than me. And at some point, that has to be reckoned with. I am not convinced that you do. Which is fine. You don't answer to me for it.

This is to show right here that you do in fact see merit and goodness in the republican party. In fact, you did say you did not know much about Giuliani, when in fact, his stance on abortion is quite clear. I will ask the question one more time. What else is there to find out?

The apology is for the technical fact you did not say you will vote or support for Giuliani. The fact remains your posts imply a republican party that has more viture than the other.

As for your comments degrading my ability to read and understand, it seems odd to me that a high school graduate with an occupation not in ministry seems to run circles around a person with an advanced degree in both the political and theology threads. But wow, Ill bet that diploma looks good.

#44 saturneptune, Apr 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2007
  5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Thank you, SN.

I have followed presidential politics very little this early. As for "virtue in the Republican machine," I think there is little, but some. I think there is less in the Democratic party, but still some. Which is not a compelling to vote for either. My point is that "conservatism" is trying to "conserve" something. And at times, we have to weigh more than one issue, or two issues. So it is more complex.

I think there are some who would like to remove the evil of abortion in one fell swoop by a law, an executive order, etc. I would as well. But that will not work. We perhaps need to consider a more incremental view which is why the PBA ruling is significant.

Furthermore, there are more issues. Barring some incredible rising of a third party between now and 2008 (which I would like to see), we will likely be left with people who do not share our view on abortion. I think at that point we have to say "What's next?" There are other issues that we must consider. What or who we vote for is just as important as what or who we vote against. I see it as a matter of principle.

There is much that could be said on both sides of that, but I don't have the time to say more now. But I do think we need a more critical thinking that many are willing to do.

6. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

If abortion was legalized in one fell swoop by a judiciary playing legislature, why will undoing it in one fell swoop not work?

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Rufus,

This is a red-letter day. I agree with you!! Not that it matters... :laugh:

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

First, it wasn't legalized in one fell swoop. That decision was the result of judicial appointments by past presidents. Furthermore, you can't get the votes for it in Congress, and right now, it is not before the court. Remember, we would love to live in an ideal world, but we live in reality. That has a way of horsing up the best of our plans. We have to deal with that.

You can try legislate against abortion (and we should), but it won't pass right now. And that is what we have to deal with..