1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is a Calvanist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sminasian, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, and these men resist God to the point that God "gives them up" and "gives them over" to a reprobate mind.

Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

God is patient and longsuffering, but at some point known only to God his patience wears out. At this point God gives the man over to a reprobate mind. He withdraws his grace that could have saved them if they would have listened.

Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

You conveniently (for you) omitted all these verses. God "strives" with men, but at some point God has had enough and gives men over to their sin to be destroyed.

Rev 2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
    21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.
    22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.

Calvinism does not understand scripture at all.

2. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Exactly!!!

Exactly Bro_Oldtimer! That is why I am now a spectator in this one. I will honor the statement I made to Sister Sandie and NOT post anymore on this subject. For the record it is not because I can't answer the "C's" arguments/browbeating. I'm no theologian or even a very good apologist but I do know what I believe and am sound and firm in it. I've watched this kind of argument go back and forth in here for some time now and I simply have no appetite for it. Your posts as well as Winman's said all that needed to be said in answering these spiritual vultures. I'll watch but I'm done posting in this thread. I have no desire to join their little elitist club.:BangHead:

Bro.Greg:type:

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I like all those verses winman, they agree with my responses in 23 and 28 posts...men always resist until God saves them, then I posted from the confession of faith!

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You voiced your opposition to the teaching.No one asked you to.You are quick to make unfounded accusations...then retreat like a spiritual ostritch when questioned about your statement.
    If you are going to stand against biblical truth you need to be prepared to answer for your claims.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Meaningless blabber.

If God was not working his grace in men, then they could not possibly resist it. But we know men do resist God and go to hell.

How does Calvinism try to explain this REALITY away? By teaching (falsely) that God sends out a "general" or "ineffectual" grace to the non-elect, but sends a powerful "effectual" and "irresistible" grace to the elect. Total nonsense without a single verse in scripture to support it.

The scriptures show that God shows the same grace to all men.

Tit 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

God did not and does not show a "general" grace to some men, and an "irresistible" grace to others. He shows a grace "that bringeth salvation" to all men.

Ah, but being the Calvinist you are, you will then ask why all men aren't saved. This is because you assume God's grace is irresistible and ignore many scriptures that prove it is not. If you only believed what the scriptures clearly say and show, that God's grace can be resisted, you would easily have the answer to your question.

Acts 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

If God was not working on these men's hearts through the Spirit, then they could not possibly resist it. You cannot resist what is not there.

#45 Winman, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2012
  6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Only you completely ignore that God did not save these men in Romans, but gave them over to a reprobate mind.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sister, you are not going to begin to understand sovereign Grace (some would call it Doctrines of Grace) Theology by viewing all these peoples opinions....most I would suggest contain biases. If your curious, there are books that legitimately take you through it & are written by scholarly individuals (and I can recommend a few) perhaps you may also want to visit a Reformed Baptist church or two in RI & view their approach to doctrine.

Before you begin on any exhaustive journey into varied faith beliefs & practices, may I suggest the following three things that should be essential to all practicing Christians:

1. Know the truth. Understand that although human beings often pervert the knowledge of God, God is completely sovereign: But our God is in heaven; He does whatever He pleases (Psalm 115:3). Understand the gospel as the true church has always understood it. Know that, rather than being an act of our faith or belief, which results in an act of God’s grace (this is called decisionism), salvation is actually a work of God’s grace alone, which results in true belief and faith. Understand that the churches as we see them, with all of their flaws and in all of their weakness, are only temporary institutions; they are not inerrant, and many are already disowned by God; whereas the true church is invisible, representing all of God’s true saints, and that regardless of what we see, God is at work preserving a remnant for Himself. Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace (Romans 11:5).

2. Practice true religion. Help the saints in need (Rom. 2:12, Gal. 6:2, Eph. 4:2); exhort each other to faith and good works (Heb. 3:13, Eph. 4:32, 1 Thess. 5:11, Hebrews 10:24-25); love one another (Jn.13:35, Rom. 12:10, 1 Cor. 16:14, Eph. 4:2, 16). Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, "To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world" (James 1:27).

3. Leave the results to God. Get your eyes on Him, on His Word, His work, His love, His grace, and off of our works, our comfort, or our personal troubles. Serve Him faithfully, but don’t be preoccupied with numbers, whether numbers of converts in an outreach campaign, for it is God alone who can save, or numbers of people sitting in the pew, for Christ will build His church. God can, and will, promote His cause and do His work, with or without our help.

Blessings

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

Translation- You do not have the ability to hear the gospel and believe it. You must be supernaturally regenerated before you have this ability.

Translation- Only those who teach Calvinst/Reformed doctrine are the "true" church. Don't listen to anybody but them.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, I knew a alcoholic who always saw clearly that he always reacted like that.....he always translated. So when I finally visited him in the hospital on his death bed he was still translating for me what he wanted me to believe....IE, the doctors are wrong, my sponcers are wrong....Im not a drunk & there isnt anything wrong with me. Interesting that he was a weird shade of yellow & his liver was out to here.....but he was still translating.:laugh: course he was dead a week later & another guy was there translating in his place......so translate away.:laugh:

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    These verses show all are condemned,unless and until God saves them.

God does not save the reprobate....He saves those sinners He has purposed to save.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Sandie,
    I do not participate in Calvin-free will debates, as they produce nothing edifying. Neither side knows for sure. The truth is somewhere in the middle. There are much more important things to learn about the Lord. If you will notice, every thread these people turn to election even if the topic started off as something else. Some people have a one track mind, so my advice is to stay away from the nonsense.

One thing I will mention, the man they named the doctrine after, John Calvin, is a terrible example. It is really doctrines of sovereignty and grace. John Calvin had a man named Michael Servetus murdered by his part in having him burned at the stake because he did not agree with him theologically. He was also a tyrrant ruler over the city-state of Geneva, in the form of a theocracy. He writings advocate seperation of church and state, but he did not practice what he preached. He was also heavily influenced by Catholic tradition, such as infant baptism. I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What the heck does any of this have to do with Doctrines of Grace? Why must you constantly (& I mean constantly mention Calvin) Personally I dont see him as a murderer & Ive explained this ad nauseam to you. Are all Germans Nazi war criminals, are all Roman Catholics connected to persecutions of Protestants, all French killers of Huguenots? Geeze, did you know Thomas Munzer walked around Germany demanding the extermination of the "godless" i.e, he meant those he considered orthodox--by the sword. He even tried to insight riots & establish a refined communistic society. Pastor Munzer eventually organized workers & peasants into an army & his call to arms was "Forward!" Forward while the fire is hot! Let your swords be ever warm with blood!" Munzer killed thousands & had others killed in his Peasants Revolt & his next accomplishment... namely his instigation of a Thirty Years War. Of the peasants alone, some 130,000 died with over 50,000 impoverished roaming the highways & sleeping in the woods. Im surprised you are not outraged by this when you speak of murdering bastards. how bout people like Ole Tom Munzer's followers John of Leyden & Jan Matthys, both good Anabaptists who executed without mercy anyone not of their ...er, faith. Also surprised this doesn't become part of your murderous rogues gallery of blood curdling stories of evil men.

If you lived back then, I could see your commentary having some credibility & value. But you didnt so at best you throw around opinions & we all know what opinions are like.;)

13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

You are 100% right about Calvin, and yet some deny it and defend him, and even want to throw the Munzerites in to deflect the truth, even though Munzer was atypical of the pacifist Anabaptist movement, whereas Calvin was very typical of the Magisterial Protestants whose policy was to murder dissenters. Those are the facts which no amount of contortions and distortions can change.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what are you trying to say....that killing over 100,000 people is a pacifist movement......You must be crazy!

15. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I am saying that Munzer and his followers were not typical of the pacifist Anabaptist movement, whereas Calvin and the Magisterial Protestants with their policy of murdering dissenters was typical of Magisterial Protestantism, as well as the RCC.

Is that so hard to understand?

And I'll let the insult slide.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that but nonetheless......that is not an excuse to start wars & execute people & I believe you would agree. Two wrongs do not make a right.....especially while flying a Christian banner.

So, since you have it all figured out, can you tell me why
    Servetus was executed & exactly Calvin's involvement?

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Besides, the last time I had conversation with S/N about this subject he himself pointed out that none of us were there in the 1500s, and do not understand the culture of those times past.

Here is Saturn Neptune's very own commentary, "One thing is that we tend to look at events like Michael Servetus and Calvin's methods in Geneva by the standard of the Constitution and the Untied States, which is a totally different world"

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I already did that in other places. If you do a search, you can find it. Believe me, I am not trying to avoid the issue, just can't get back into that.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is exactly what I quoted. That does not mean he is not a murderer and thug. It is up to you whether you defend such behavior or not. By the way, it is my right to mention it as often as I feel necessary.

#59 saturneptune, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2012
  20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what does that have to do with the op?