1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is a Calvanist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sminasian, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I do not believe that truth is in the middle or up for grabs as you post, basically telling her...doctrine is nonsense.....really wonderful post...

If I need advise from you on what to post....I will ask you.

Why not? I cannot address that issue when 5 other people are ridiculing the truth. I like my ideas... and will feel free to present them.if you post anything worthwhile..i will use that also....have not had to do that lately however.
    You do not have to read them if they trouble you so much.

2. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I have a one word answer to the OP. A Calvinist is, simply,...... wrong. :laugh:

3. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Iconoclast...

You posted this to me, in response to my post to you, indicating that I said this...

You then said...

Yep. You are correct. It makes no biblical sense. It sounds like I am advocating universalism.

But here is what you have done...

You chose to BUTCHER my post,...editing out parts of it,...to make it come across that way.

HERE... is what I actually..originally...posted...(in post 77)...

Big differance, isnt there.

That was despicable Iconoclast. You should be ashamed of yourself.

#103 Alive in Christ, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2012
  4. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Deut. 7:6...A Proof Text..Yes..But Not For What You Think!

Deuteronomy 7:6 has been offered in this thread as a supposed "proof-text" by some of the calvinists in here. I suppose from the way it is worded that they suppose it is one of the texts that somehow proves their "doctrine" of election. I suppose if you were to lift it out of the context in which it rests then maybe it could be used to build a false doctrine from...that is true. The context applies ONLY to the children of Israel as they were redeemed out of the hand of Pharaoh,King of Egypt (vs.8). And yes...they are God's chosen people which He made an unending covenant with. They will see this finally fulfilled in the millenium. Actually,the ENTIRE text of Chapter 7 addresses the Children of Israel....ONLY. Frankly it doesn't take a Bible Scholar or a seminary education to know that....just a believing heart. I also would prefer and recommend a good old King James Bible. By the way...this is not the ONLY place in the Bible where an incorrect view of "election" can be straightened out simply by being HONEST with the context (which is one of the cardinal rules of proper Biblical Interpretation.) ( It also helps to have a proper understanding of basic Dispensationalism.):type:

By the way....even though we are not the children of Israel (obviously) this chapter (of the Old Testament) is profitable to us in the dispensation of Grace in that it demonstrates the love and faithfulness of God not only to Israel but also to ANY people that He calls His own! It clearly demonstrates the FACT that we can always count on God to keep His eternal promises both now in the New Covenant of Grace as well as then, under the Old Covenant. We have a wonderful and gracious God...amen?

Please notice that I did NOT see the need or point in calling any names out in this post. Ya'll have a nice day!

Bro.Greg

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

#105 saturneptune, Sep 11, 2012
  6. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: " I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent." Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence. But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God-and righteousness and sanctification and redemption- that, as it is written, "He who glories, let him glory in the LORD."

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Thanks for the post. I find myself getting in the trap of Romans 7 and 8 by going after people who use such terms, then doing the same thing. I usually get into it with people on the same side as me theologically. You and Convicted 1 have very good posts on the subject. I was just looking at my own signature, and that states my position on the subject without getting involved in the endless threads. Duh............. Thanks again for the post. It reminds me to stay away from responding to people who constantly make a hobby of calling each other false teachers, pathetic or other such terms.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have a lot of respect your posts. Although I think we are on opposite sides on this issue, I am not so hardened that I am not open to learning new things the Lord reveals to me through Scripture. I do not detect any anger or meanness when you discuss differences. Anyway, most things we agree on.

In fact, I find myself getting angrier with people who use demeaning terms even if they are in agreement with me, like this issue. The last sentence of your quote is quite justified and true.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    & your commentary is simply spoken with the utmost ignorance that you can muster. And that's what is really laughable :laugh:

#109 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 11, 2012
  10. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Couldn't quite keep that nastiness buried for too long, huh? Wouldn't you know that I'd be the one to bring it to the surface. :laugh:

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally I believe that it is you who is the nasty one. I would never make the commentary about Non Calvinists that you make about Calvinists (& your prior commentary is proof of it) ....frankly its insulting & ignorant. I would say that you should be ashamed of yourself Michael but Im not sure you have that capacity....rather, you have the false righteousness of the scribes & Pharisees. Please take a moment & evaluate what motivates you to such levels of pomp .....we are called to be far better than what your commentaries display here. How on earth are you ever going to manage that when you primary mode of operation is to throw rocks at another brothers faith beliefs?

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to request that the moderators consider closing this thread as it is way off its original course & displays a level of nastiness unbecoming of Christianity as a whole.

Thanks & gotta run!

13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

You are hypocrite and a whitewashed tomb -- that makes you kin to the scribes and Pharisees.

I made a comment that was supposed to be in jest, and look at how you respond. Why don't you jump all over others the way you do me? I already said that I count some Calvinists among my friends. I am sure no one reacted the way you did with your stinking post.

That last line is a hoot and the depth of hypocrisy. My faith beliefs and my person have been the object of huge rock throwing, including your rock throwing.

YOU are the one who is insulting and ignorant, and you are one of the two most despicable people on this forum. Now go back to your wallow.

14. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Of which you are the primary perpetrator and example.

15. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

I do Agree.....

I do agree it may be time to close this thread so we can all step back and calm down a bit. (Myself Included!!!) There have been some good points made in here ....but there have been some really bad one's too! I think Miss Sandie has had all the advise she probably wants or needs according to the last post I saw her make. It is time to retire from the battlefield and live to fight another day! Moderators....? Your turn.

Bro.Greg

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gregory Perry Sr
    Hello GP,
    I offered that text for a specific reason.It was in response to a poster who said:
    In post 79...the poster declared this
    -

GP.....the poster declares
    1]Her all loving God...does not pick/choose anyone to be saved
    2]her God's desire and purpose was for all men to be saved
    3]her God does not save only certain people

My questions to her which no one replied to was-
    GP in verse 6 we see God saying this;
    the Lord thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.
    1]God hath Chosen.....she said her all loving God does not pick anyone
    2] to be a speacial people,unto himself
    3]above all people upon the face of the earth.

What she posted is in direct contradiction to this verse and dozens of others....

Just on the surface....it makes no biblical sense unless understood as written

God at that time placed His name and law in One nation...not all nations Amos3:2
    2 You only have I known of all the families of the earth: therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities

GP...that is simply why I offered the poster this verse from Deut 7...she or others might not like the teaching...but clearly here it is...She might want to oppose it...but she has to give account here ...how does this verse fit into the whole picture.
    let's see what we can agree on ,and what we remain apart on.

GP...no need to lift it out of context...just to understand that God placed His name and law, and covenant promises , in that nation at that time
    Agreed...No one disputes that. What we notice is God choosing some, and not all, God choosing some and destroying others who come against them....that was why the verse was posted. We could have a whole thread on that verse alone...

They were God's chosen people at that time, and yet.....not all Israel was Israel.
    I understand you are now offering the dispensational view......but that is another large discussion....so lets stay here for awhile:thumbsup:

Agreed...at that time they are the only ones who had special revelation from God......
    The true understanding of jn 3:16...which all christians enjoy...is that through their fall..salvation is no longer found in one physical nation...but now goes worldwide.

GP- I use a thompson chain KJB....but I am not a KJV only person...I like Youngs literal translation which attempts to put the words in the correct order that the greek does......you said I butchered jn 3;16...when i quoted it,,,however that is not correct...the text says...everyone believing

type:

GP.....this is what we should be discussing instead of all this other stuff.Working through the texts is a healthy exercise. feel free to offer on any text you think I have wrongly used. feel free to quote any source...David Cloud, dave Hunt ..or anyone else. I will respond as time permits.
    We should both desire to come to truth in order to speak to unsaved souls about the eternal state of their souls. Some see no profit in this, but it can be very profitable.I have been corrected many times in the past, and am still open to correction....from scripture

I agree with 80% of this statement. All who are covenant children fit into the last clause...exactly.....I have moved out of the dispensational framework....to a more biblical covenant framework.Dispensationalism fragements what should be kept together ...from whay i can see. If I and others are completely wrong here...I would be okay with whatever God is going to do.

We have a wonderful, Holy and merciful God:
    Bro.Greg[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup: That is a good thing.....we can discuss truth without all that:laugh:
    Gp...we will not agree on all things unless the Lord allows us to, but we can give a scriptural account for the hope that is in us.
    I would rather have you and others be passionate for truth, [even overheating and blowing a fuse] rather then float down stream like a dead fish
    :thumbsup:

If you post a scriptural post, you get a scriptural reply.

#116 Iconoclast, Sep 11, 2012
  17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sticks & Stones:smilewinkgrin:

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Stop it already. Everyone else admitted they had gone overboard on this thread except you, which is amazing since you sling around some of the most insulting terms.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh:
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    AIC,
    calling me despicable does not changed what you posted..I did not write it...you did. Would you like to clarify your post?
    I quoted what you posted. You correctly say now...that it made you sound like a universalist which you do not believe! That is correct! that is why I said
    it made to biblical sense

The Spirit does not draw all men TO SALVATION THROUGH FAITH....

THEN THEY CHOOSE????? It made no sense when you posted it,it makes no sense now....

Explain how the Spirit draws heathen to Salvation in the middle of the rainforrest, when they never heard anything from the bible AIC......not some make believe idea....that you believe comes from titus 2;11, or jn 1:9

Explain how the Spirit does this...what verses are you thinking of???
    calling me despicable, or agreeing with winmans statement that biblical truth was nonsense..or whatever he said.....does not make your case AIC:thumbsup: