1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is a Calvinist?????

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by hawg_427, Sep 10, 2006.

1. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Hey ya don't know if you don't ask huh?

2. Watchman

Watchman New Member

As I see it, others may define the term differently: Basically, one who believes that God has predetermined everything, including who will be saved. If you are among the ELECT you will be saved, if not, you will be lost. Man has no say whatsoever as far as salvation; in fact, they submit, man, by himself, will not come to God, unless God compels him come to Him.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

from my view, a Calvinist is one who believes in the absolute sovereignty of God in all things, and man does not change and unchanging God.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Calvinist is one who agrees with many of the doctrines of John Calvin, almost verbatim.
    Basically, their doctrines revolve around TULIP, an acronym for Total Depravity of man, Unconditional Election, Limited Atonement, and Perseverance of the Saints.

They sometimes refer to these doctrines as the Doctrines of Grace.

Here are a few things about John Calvin from answers.com

Hope that helped.

5. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I asked questions about Calvinism about a month ago and the Calvinists gave me a good tutorial on the subject. You can find it under Baptist Theology and Bible Study here on BB on the second page entitled "Another Question for Calvinists". They were very helpful.

drfuss

6. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

The word is used for various people, some of whom do not consider themselves to be Calvinists, and some of whom deny that the others are real Calvinists. Among some Presbyterians, there is a term in use called "TR" (which means Truly Reformed, as distinguished from wannabe, inconsistent Calvinists). So don't look for scientific exactitude in defining it.

Understand also that a Calvinist may never have read a word of Calvin's writings, and might not have even ever HEARD of Calvin. The name "Calvinist" is a handy label, just like all handy labels.

That said, it refers to the belief that God has determined who will be saved or lost before he even created the world, and everyone is born with his name already on one list or the other. If he's on the good list, God will give him faith and save him. If he's on the bad list, God will pass him by and let him sin his way into an eternal Hell.

Why did God put some people on the good list? Nobody knows, except to say that it wasn't because he FORESAW anything in those people. He only did it because, well, he just decided to love a few people who don't deserve to be loved, and decided not to love the rest (who also don't deserve to be loved).

Can you do anything to get on the good list? Nah, he's already done making the list. All you can do is live a few decades and then wind up wherever he assigned you.

Bon voyage.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No "I"? :D

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

The "I" in tulIp is irresistible Grace,
    Which simplt means that God is powerful enough to change the heart of a wicked sinner to the point that he will love God and trust him as savior.

It has nothing to do with forcing a man against his will to become a Christian, but rather a changing inwardly of that man so that he is in harmony and understands the Gospel.

I consider myself to be more or less a calvinist though I have not really read his works.

I am not too sure about the "L" but other than that, I think they are pretty well on.
    I think trying to get the "TULIP" they used words that weren't the best.
    Perseverance of the saints isn't the best way to put it IMHO.
    ALso, limited atonement isn't a great term to use either.
    Many prefer the term "particular atonement"

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

They helped me several times too drfuss.:)

10. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, yeah. I - for Irresistible Grace.

Thanks, webdog, and Dale-C.:thumbsup:

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

We must always be careful when studying "Calvinistic writings"---they, just like everything else we read except Scripture----are just a little bit less than inerrant and inspired and infallable!!! So be careful when you've got your nose buried in his books, fellas!!!! Come up for air every now and then!!! Put the book down and go outside--get some fresh air once in a while!!!!:wavey: :wavey:

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I never even read those writings but I did ream Romans. I don't know how you can deny God's sovereign grace after reading that.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We don't.

BTW, how's the little one and mom doing?

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Doing well thanks!